What new shows are you watching? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What new shows are you watching?

heyang

Record Breaker
What do you think about "The Americans"? I like it, but I'm not sure how much. It can be better and I hope it will.
I like the idea, the story, the mood and the actors.

I've watched The Americans.... they definitely set the tone of the 80's Cold War and you do feel sympathetic for the main characters living their dual lives...

Alba

Record Breaker
Ummmm....IMO, Tea Leoni deserves better, although in her case I think it's the plots/scripts that are the problem, not the Secretary role itself.

I agree. It sounds like a cheap CIA/West Wing mishmash to me.
Full of stereotypes and cliché, about America and americans in first place.

The Americans it's a good show, IMO. As I said, it can be better, but I like it.

I've watched The Americans.... they definitely set the tone of the 80's Cold War and you do feel sympathetic for the main characters living their dual lives...

I fully agree about that. Although for some reasons the characters I like most are:
Claudia (Margo Martindale) the KGB supervisor, I want to see more of her. Nina, and now Oleg.
I don't know but I can't sympathise with any of the CIA characters, nor do they look interesting to me. :slink: :biggrin:

Skategmt

On the Ice
I have watched Madam Secretary and i liked it a lot. I think i will enjoy it more once i know the main characters better because there are so many its hard to keep track. I really liked Stalker too. Although they're not new series, ive been watching the Middle and Modern Family too. I think the Middle jumped the shark, its not nearly as funny as it used to be. I think modern family still has a couple seasons to go before its not funny anymore.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally got around to watching "How to Get Away With Murder" (geez, that's kind of a mouthful) last night. Viola Davis is truly compelling, IMO, but the flashbacks are going to give me whiplash. I'm going to stick w/ it for a while but am getting the feeling that the show is already close to jumping the shark after only 2 episodes, which isn't good. Too many gimmicks and stereotypical characters (nerdy poor kid overachiever; entitled preppy brat; scary/creepy husband of murder vic) with too many scenes played for shock value alone. There's also something about the dialogue that seems campy and artificial to me.

After all this complaining, did I say I'd continue to watch? For the amazing Viola Davis, yes. At least for the time being.

Again, this is JMO...am totally willing to be convinced otherwise! :)

^ I liked this week's episode of How to Get AWay with Murder better than last weeks'. At least the person that she helped to get away with murder this week was more likable than last week's beneficiary.

The flashbacks in the dark woods have a Blair Witch vibe -- I didn't know what was happening in that movie either. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I didn't like How to Get Away with Murder at all.

Oh good, I was starting to feel like I was the only one with a TV who wasn't hooked in the first episode!

Arrow premiered Wednesday and was AWESOME! Can't wait to see the season progress.

Tried watching Once Upon A Time... I miss the heart that the show used to have. Now it's just a really crappy soap opera. You can tell they've forced the Frozen storyline into their plot and it just doesn't work IMO.

I am "enjoying" Gracepoint, though enjoy isn't really the emotion you get. And STALKER is SO CREEPY! Great show.

The Blacklist is having a great sophomore season so far as well.

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't understand the point of shows like Gracepoint tbh. Broadchurch was fantastic and it's in english, so why remake it?

I can understand The Bridge USA, because they've brought new issues in their show, but Gracepoint is basically a replica of Broadchurch.

Alba

Record Breaker
I have a question.

I love so much GoT, and love all the characters and the actors except one: Daenerys Targaryen. :scowl:

I like the character very much but I just can't stand the actress for that role. It's not that I don't like the actress per se either.
I just don't see her as Daenerys Targaryen at all. I can't stand her in that role and I'm mad because I want to like her and I can't. :disapp:

Does anyone feels the same?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have a question.

I love so much GoT, and love all the characters and the actors except one: Daenerys Targaryen. :scowl:

I like the character very much but I just can't stand the actress for that role. It's not that I don't like the actress per se either.
I just don't see her as Daenerys Targaryen at all. I can't stand her in that role and I'm mad because I want to like her and I can't. :disapp:

Does anyone feels the same?
I have the feeling she isn't what I had imagined about Daenerys in the books.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So not a new show per se, but just want to say I'm marathoning 3rd season of Portlanda and it makes me laugh SO hard. Because there's a bit of truth in the humor! (I live about 3 hours from Portland and get to visit quite a bit and there are times during my visit where, I'm like "This reminds me of an episode of Portlandia")-- especially when people get excited about the sun in the winter, haha.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Has anyone been watching Season 2 of "The Paradise" on PBS? I didn't really like the first season that much but watched it again on Netflix & got hooked. :)

One of the things that's been most interesting for me is the way it illustrates women's position in the society of the time -- how they were expected to think & behave. And sometimes I think things haven't changed all that much!

MalAssada

Medalist
I'll give Outlander a shot tomorrow. The summary sounds nice enough, and time travel :love:

Gotta catch up with Criminal Minds, though, and I wonder what is the release date for Hannibal series 3 (what can I say? I love psychology). *checks* :cry: First Orange is the New Black, now Hannibal? I can't wait until 2015!

So far Castle is having a great season, and series 8 of Doctor Who was awesome! I can't wait for the finale next week, even though I hate the plot twist. So obvious, everyone expected more of Moffat.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'll give Outlander a shot tomorrow. The summary sounds nice enough, and time travel :love:

Gotta catch up with Criminal Minds, though, and I wonder what is the release date for Hannibal series 3 (what can I say? I love psychology). *checks* :cry: First Orange is the New Black, now Hannibal? I can't wait until 2015!

So far Castle is having a great season, and series 8 of Doctor Who was awesome! I can't wait for the finale next week, even though I hate the plot twist. So obvious, everyone expected more of Moffat.

I used to watch Castle - but I feel like once Castle and Beckett got together it lost a lot of its appeal. To me it should have ended like JAG (military procedural with David James Elliot and Catherine Bell from the late 90's-early 2000's on CBS) - in the series finale the 2 main characters got together.

I can't wait until Justified comes back on in January, Timothy Olyphant :love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't understand the point of shows like Gracepoint tbh. Broadchurch was fantastic and it's in english, so why remake it?

I can understand The Bridge USA, because they've brought new issues in their show, but Gracepoint is basically a replica of Broadchurch.

Haven't heard/seen the other show so I guess maybe that's why? *shrugs* idk.

Alba

Record Breaker
Haven't heard/seen the other show so I guess maybe that's why? *shrugs* idk.

Well, the fact that you haven't seen/heard the BBC production is hardly the reason why they're doing it in USA. :biggrin:

What I mean is why not buy the original tv series rather than producing a copy? I suppose It will also cost less to the tv channel, rather than producing it.
I mean it's not even a remake, like The Bridge for example.

Has anyone been watching Season 2 of "The Paradise" on PBS? I didn't really like the first season that much but watched it again on Netflix & got hooked. :)

One of the things that's been most interesting for me is the way it illustrates women's position in the society of the time -- how they were expected to think & behave. And sometimes I think things haven't changed all that much!

I saw the Season 2. Well, I think it was a silly show. Sometimes I was thinking I can't believe I'm watching it :laugh:, but I like period tv series and movies and since I watched the first season I thought let's be done with it. :biggrin:
I continue watching Madam Secretary only for Tea Leoni. The show is getting worse everyday.

I'm watching Stalker also and I'm disappointed. I think the subject deserves something much better than this.

I will watch The Affair now as well. Haven't started yet so I don't know what to expect. Although I do not like much the love/cheating gone bad affair thing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What I mean is why not buy the original tv series rather than producing a copy? I suppose It will also cost less to the tv channel, rather than producing it.
I mean it's not even a remake, like The Bridge for example.

Isn't that how they normally do it, though? The Office is a prime example.