CTV Video: [Osmond] struggling to come back | Golden Skate

CTV Video: [Osmond] struggling to come back

skateluvr

Record Breaker
A shame. I love her fire, joy and attack. She is entertaining, unlike many. Bless you Kaet and get well sooner than later. USA fan.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
The video didn't work for me so can anyone tell me what's happened? I heard that she injured before, worse now?

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
The video didn't work for me so can anyone tell me what's happened? I heard that she injured before, worse now?

Nothing new has happened, it just a news report about the injury including an interview at her rink. She broke her fibula in 2 different places, it was a spiral fracture, and she has 7 screws. She hopes to be back on in the ice in early november and defend her title in January.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Poor Kaety, such a charming person.

November sounds about right to come to Dortmund and the NRW Trophy ;) Get well soon girl!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nothing new has happened, it just a news report about the injury including an interview at her rink. She broke her fibula in 2 different places, it was a spiral fracture, and she has 7 screws. She hopes to be back on in the ice in early november and defend her title in January.

Well...before the video I didn't know that it was because she was avoiding a collision with another skater. She said she swerved to avoid someone and that's all she remembers but she doesn't know who it was.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nothing new that has not been reported before but it's good to see her in good spirits and positive. A lovely admirable girl she is. All the best Kaetlyn!

humbaba

Final Flight
Awww.... she seems like such a sweet girl. I wonder if, this early in the quad, it might be best if Kaetlyn took the whole season off, giving herself plenty of time to heal and get back to top form.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Poor Kaetlyn... Very admirable of her to be so positive, even after yet another injury.

Icey

Record Breaker
Strange accident, not even considering she doesn't know what happened.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Awww.... she seems like such a sweet girl. I wonder if, this early in the quad, it might be best if Kaetlyn took the whole season off, giving herself plenty of time to heal and get back to top form.

Yeah I don't mean to be negative,honestly but I have no idea why she wants to try to defend her title in January. This all sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. She should forget the WC this year and allow herself to take it easy and fully heal to minimize the chance of further injury. I am honestly very concerned for her.

hohoho

On the Ice
Yeah I don't mean to be negative,honestly but I have no idea why she wants to try to defend her title in January. This all sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. She should forget the WC this year and allow herself to take it easy and fully heal to minimize the chance of further injury. I am honestly very concerned for her.

Maybe it is to give her a goal to achieve. I would think that if she is not ready she will not compete. Kaitlin Weaver did not compete at nationals and was able to do Worlds in London. Maybe not ready for nationals, but maybe 4CC or WC

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

I agree. Nothing is worse than rushing back from an injury before you're ready. I don't know if she'll have enough time between now and January to not only heal completely but then also get herself back into competitive shape.

I wish her the best and I definitely want to see her back on the ice...but she shouldn't rush it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A spiral fracture is a lot more complicated than a simple fracture. She needs to take the time off the ice to FULLY heal or risk further injury. When one part of the body is weak, another part tends to become strained in order to protect the weak part, whether the skater is aware of it or not.

Remember years ago when Plushenko had a knee problem but kept on skating anyway, and then developed two hernias because his upper body tried to protect his knees from the impact of all those quads until his abdominal muscles just gave way under the strain. Another Russian skater with similar knee problems developed severe groin injuries that ended his career.

Why is it so important for her to defend her title and risk not only losing her title anyway, while suffering yet another nagging injury that keeps her from being competitive next season as well?

mrrice

Record Breaker
A spiral fracture is a lot more complicated than a simple fracture. She needs to take the time off the ice to FULLY heal or risk further injury. When one part of the body is weak, another part tends to become strained in order to protect the weak part, whether the skater is aware of it or not. Kaetlyn has already had one injury after another, so this pattern already exists.

Why is it so important for her to defend her title and risk not only losing her title anyway, while suffering yet another nagging injury that keeps her from being competitive next season as well?

I agree ! Why on earth would her coach let her come back this soon. She's so young and she has 2 titles, 2 trips to Worlds and she as Olympian. I'm sure they realize that if she pushes too hard, she could have a career ending injury before she turns 21.

LRK

Record Breaker
A spiral fracture is a lot more complicated than a simple fracture. She needs to take the time off the ice to FULLY heal or risk further injury. When one part of the body is weak, another part tends to become strained in order to protect the weak part, whether the skater is aware of it or not.

Remember years ago when Plushenko had a knee problem but kept on skating anyway, and then developed two hernias because his upper body tried to protect his knees from the impact of all those quads until his abdominal muscles just gave way under the strain. Another Russian skater with similar knee problems developed severe groin injuries that ended his career.

That was in 2005, right? When he ended up having to WD after the SP at Worlds' anyway. So, yeah, I do think Kaetlyn should take the time she needs to heal - her position isn't that threatened anyway - and even if it was, coming back too soon, aggravating her injury and/or performing badly isn't exactly going to do her much good. Sometimes what is needed is patience, and not rushing things. Anyway, wishing Kaetlyn the very, very best. I do like her, and I hope she continues for many years. Take the long view, Kaetlyn!

starlight97

Final Flight
I would honestly understand her and her coach if the Olympics were to take place this year. That's (for many figure skaters) a once in a lifetime chance and while I wouldn't have supported it, I would have understood the pushing way too fast and too much, if the participation in the Olympics were at stake.

But this season? No. I absolutely agree, this is obviously a serious injury and I think every figure skater who followed Plushy's ordeal should know better than pushing past their physical limit whem injured way too soon.
Even if she were to sit out this entire season, no one would take her place as Canada's number one female that quickly, we're not in Russia after all.
Please be wise Kaetlyn! You're so young, don't destroy the splendid future you have ahead of you with sth so stupid like impatience.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
That was in 2005, right? When he ended up having to WD after the SP at Worlds' anyway. So, yeah, I do think Kaetlyn should take the time she needs to heal - her position isn't that threatened anyway - and even if it was, coming back too soon, aggravating her injury and/or performing badly isn't exactly going to do her much good. Sometimes what is needed is patience, and not rushing things. Anyway, wishing Kaetlyn the very, very best. I do like her, and I hope she continues for many years. Take the long view, Kaetlyn!

I agree with you on performing badly, if she came to Nationals injured it would be much more disappointing if she had performed badly and was beaten by other skaters than to just take the season off to heal. It's only the beginning of the quad, better to take the season off now and then come back refreshed and ready. I love her as a performer and I'd love to see her come back but looking her injury, getting back on ice in December is probably too soon.