Tv coverage in Europe or non-blackout subscription possibilities | Golden Skate

Tv coverage in Europe or non-blackout subscription possibilities

HR4

On the Ice
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about subscription possibilities in Germany. Something like icenetwork or so. I also failed to find any information about TV coverage of grand prix events. What about Russian channels? (I remember sport 1 was showing it last year)
I would appreciate any information.
thanks

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Eurosport are showing the Grand Prix :)Whether it will just be highlights or live I don't know yet .Listings only go up to 22 October.

LRK

Record Breaker
They are? Thank goodness! I just wish I could get British commentary on my TV....

HR4

On the Ice
Eurosport are showing the Grand Prix :)Whether it will just be highlights or live I don't know yet .Listings only go up to 22 October.

^Thanks for the info! I hope at least part of the competitions will be live)

TMC

Record Breaker
They are? Thank goodness! I just wish I could get British commentary on my TV....

Me too. But this year I'm going to try and work around that by using Hola. I don't have Eurosport as a channel, only the Eurosport Player on my laptop. I can get British ESP through Hola and then plug my laptop to my tv. With newer TVs you can do it over wifi, ours is from 2011 so too old for that.

LRK

Record Breaker
Me too. But this year I'm going to try and work around that by using Hola. I don't have Eurosport as a channel, only the Eurosport Player on my laptop. I can get British ESP through Hola and then plug my laptop to my tv. With newer TVs you can do it over wifi, ours is from 2011 so too old for that.

I've got the channel... Well, maybe some day they will come up with something that lets one choose on the TV as well.

TMC

Record Breaker
I've got the channel... Well, maybe some day they will come up with something that lets one choose on the TV as well.

Yeah I was just thinking about this today. It would be great to choose your commentary like you choose subtitles on Netflix!

My absolute favourite is BBC commentary.

The Finnish ones aren't so bad, but if possible I listen to the Finland-Swedish version, they are more enthusiastic ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, Eurosport is DEFINITELY showing the GP Series, as it has been included in the adverts for what they are showing during October.

And there is even more good news for those that get British Eurosport via Sky+

From Saturday, programming from British Eurosport has become available on Sky's On Demand service!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

To access Eurosport On Demand, press the TV Guide button, then select "Catch Up TV". Then press the "Channel Down" button to get onto the second page. The Eurosport programmes are in the box at the bottom right.

But there are some problems. The programmes only stay up until 7 days after they were originally broadcast. However, in these first few days since the service launched, the programmes have not been appearing on the service until 2 days later. So you have to be quick.

Also, from what I can tell so far, you only get what is shown on British Eurosport on the On Demand.

On Saturday, Eurosport 1 International was showing LIVE coverage of the final round of the Ski Jumping Grand Prix, but British 1 was showing LIVE cricket. The cricket appeared on the On Demand, but the Ski Jumping didn't.

So, it looks like if Eurosport International is showing the skating, but British Eurosport is showing something else (probably snooker), we won't get the skating on the On Demand.

But, what if ESP International shows, say, all of the Ladies SP, but British ESP joins late because it has been showing something else that has over-run (probably snooker)? Does that mean that the first few skaters will not be on the On Demand programme?

Fingers crossed things will be smoothed out by the time that the GP Series starts...

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, it looks like if Eurosport International is showing the skating, but British Eurosport is showing something else (probably snooker), we won't get the skating on the On Demand.

Lolz!!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
That sounds complicated. :laugh:
I'm just gonna stick with Eurosport and Eurosport 2 and hope between the two of them, they air everything... pretty sure we don't have Eurosport on demand, anyway. ;-/

LRK

Record Breaker
Yeah I was just thinking about this today. It would be great to choose your commentary like you choose subtitles on Netflix!

My absolute favourite is BBC commentary.

The Finnish ones aren't so bad, but if possible I listen to the Finland-Swedish version, they are more enthusiastic ;)

The Swedish Eurosport people aren't overly enthusiastic at all - except for a few favourites, and then they gush, gush, gush. It's quite the contrast to everyone else. Once - true, it was during an airing of highlights - they forgot to turn off during the commercial break, and one could hear them continue talking over the ads.. and then the female commentator says: "Do we really have to sit here for 15 more minutes?" (or however many minutes there were) in a "I'm bored out of my skull"-voice....

TMC

Record Breaker
The Swedish Eurosport people aren't overly enthusiastic at all - except for a few favourites, and then they gush, gush, gush. It's quite the contrast to everyone else. Once - true, it was during an airing of highlights - they forgot to turn off during the commercial break, and one could hear them continue talking over the ads.. and then the female commentator says: "Do we really have to sit here for 15 more minutes?" (or however many minutes there were) in a "I'm bored out of my skull"-voice....

:eek: That sounds awful!

The Finnish ones are ok, sort of boring but fair. There's no gushing, just very proper appreciation (Machida at Worlds got them excited at least, and Carolina). After Machida's skate the lady commentator actually confessed that after 20+ years she sometimes wonders how much longer she can feel like she wants to "sit there"; she said then that it's performances like Machida's that give her a great reason to keep going :)

The Swedish-speaking lady is also fair but slightly less boring: She managed to "gush" something like "Oj var det roligt eller vad!" after Jason's Team lp. And yes, that goes for exceptional enthusiasm in this country :laugh:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oh, fortunately we never have that problem with the Dutch commentary; it's usually done by Jeroen Prins (sp?), who also appears at international figure skating events as judge, so he is really into it. :biggrin: And he's usually accompanied by a retired Dutch international figure skater, IIRC.
And if I get bored, I can always switch to the British commentary, as we get both audio tracks.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, fortunately we never have that problem with the Dutch commentary; it's usually done by Jeroen Prins (sp?), who also appears at international figure skating events as judge, so he is really into it. :biggrin: And he's usually accompanied by a retired Dutch international figure skater, IIRC.
And if I get bored, I can always switch to the British commentary, as we get both audio tracks.

Wha-! How? Wha- (splutters) Oh, you lucky, lucky person you! Consider me having turned an unfetching envy-green and glowering bitterly at you!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Wha-! How? Wha- (splutters) Oh, you lucky, lucky person you! Consider me having turned an unfetching envy-green and glowering bitterly at you!

I'm not sure how 'normal' that is, say, for instance, if you have Eurosport France or Germany, maybe you can get the British audio track, as well? I never gave it much thought before. I do seem to remember that when we first got access to Eurosport 2, we only had British commentary, no Dutch commentary at all. ;-)

Just checked the website, no schedule up yet...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Do you remember the good old days when Eurosport 1 was broadcasting Free To Air in analogue on Astra 19.2E, and had German and English soundtracks?

Whenever there was something I wanted to see that was on ESP1 International but not British ESP1, I would just run into the kitchen and watch ESP1 Deutschland with the English soundtrack on. It was great! And I was doing that all the time!

So, you can imagine how angry I was when the digital switchover happened, and the digital FTA version of Eurosport 1 only had the German soundtrack.

Now whenever British ESP1 isn't showing something, I have to watch a poor quality version of ESP1 International on the computer in the sitting room. At family meal times, I have tried watching ESP1 Deutschland muted in the kitchen with the volume on the computer turned up full blast, but the two are too out of sync.

I cannot understand why Eurosport could not just have put multiple soundtracks on ESP1 Deutschland when it went digital. Like, Euronews (on the same frequency as ESP1 Deutschland on Astra 19.2E) has a total of TEN soundtracks. And the pay version of ESP1 International on Eutelsat 13.0E has FOURTEEN soundtracks.

It was because of having ESP1 Deutschland with an English commentary on analogue that I first started watching figure skating. I would be doing my homework in the kitchen and would need a break, so I would put on the TV. And after seeing Irina Slutskaya a few times, and then Carolina Kostner at her first big competition (2003 Euros - FS), I was hooked.

Oh, how I miss those glorious days!

CaroLiza_fan

LRK

Record Breaker
Do you remember the good old days when Eurosport 1 was broadcasting Free To Air in analogue on Astra 19.2E, and had German and English soundtracks?

Whenever there was something I wanted to see that was on ESP1 International but not British ESP1, I would just run into the kitchen and watch ESP1 Deutschland with the English soundtrack on. It was great! And I was doing that all the time!

So, you can imagine how angry I was when the digital switchover happened, and the digital FTA version of Eurosport 1 only had the German soundtrack.

Now whenever British ESP1 isn't showing something, I have to watch a poor quality version of ESP1 International on the computer in the sitting room. At family meal times, I have tried watching ESP1 Deutschland muted in the kitchen with the volume on the computer turned up full blast, but the two are too out of sync.

I cannot understand why Eurosport could not just have put multiple soundtracks on ESP1 Deutschland when it went digital. Like, Euronews (on the same frequency as ESP1 Deutschland on Astra 19.2E) has a total of TEN soundtracks. And the pay version of ESP1 International on Eutelsat 13.0E has FOURTEEN soundtracks.

It was because of having ESP1 Deutschland with an English commentary on analogue that I first started watching figure skating. I would be doing my homework in the kitchen and would need a break, so I would put on the TV. And after seeing Irina Slutskaya a few times, and then Carolina Kostner at her first big competition (2003 Euros - FS), I was hooked.

Oh, how I miss those glorious days!

CaroLiza_fan

That reminds me of my "brilliant scheme" that I concocted once - I thought I'd try to watch on the telly, but have the British livestream on so that I could listen to their commentary - and escape the Swedish one.... alas, for my "brilliant scheme".... they were out of sync. Of course. So, it didn't work...

Poice

Final Flight
I have Eurosport 1 and 2 (of course Polish versions :)) and I can always switch between Polish and English comments. Also many many times there are Dutch, Italian and one I can't identify audio xD

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The full schedule for Saturday is online (on the Dutch site), but I'm not seeing anything even remotely resembling figure skating. Hhhmmm... Even with the time difference, there should be something on Saturday from the Friday sessions.