What's the problem with Nathan Chen's 3A? | Golden Skate

What's the problem with Nathan Chen's 3A?

longjiajia811

Rinkside
It really concerns and pains me to see him struggle with those axel jumps which weigh so much for a potential of the podium.The axis tends to swing in the air resulting in falling or steping out. long preparation before entry seems rather tentative . It is a problem of time which will resolve itself as he progresses? or he is facing seriously hard trouble with grasping the tricks.:confused:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Having a triple axel at 15 at all puts him ahead of the curve. Long preparation is typical when skaters are first adding double or triple axel to their repertoire. He'll probably have to adjust the technique as he grows in any case.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
He's clearly about to undergo a growth spurt so working too hard on the axel right now might only make things worse. And while yes, it's necessary to win in the future, his axel is still good enough to podium on the international junior level for now, which he still has a couple of years in

noskates

Record Breaker
Well the way I see it, if that question could be answered on this forum than it's likely his coach would be able to address it as well! The kid is 15. His body is still developing - and he's tiny, to boot. I don't think it's time to start worrying about him being able to complete these big jumps.

jimeonji

Final Flight
He had a 3A back in 2012 (see JGP Austria) and I believe he landed one in the SP at Jr Nats this past season, iirc? I'm guessing it's a combination of growing and injuries. But I really hope to see him get his 3A back - he looked so sad after both programs at JGP Croatia this past weekend.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't Nathan doing 3 axels when he was only 13? He's already ahead of the curve compared to the likes of Jason and Adam who were much older when they started doing them. Right now he is working on getting through these growth spurts. While it may not be as hard as it is for the girls it's still an adjustment to getting bigger and stronger and working on his jump technique.

LittleBlueBird

Rinkside
Wasn't he injured this summer? That's why he only got one JGP assignment. He just didn't have enough time to get his 3A back.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People need to realize that Nathan isn't the cute kid from 2-3 years ago who had so much spark. He's older now and is struggling a bit as he grows and gets older.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan has grown since last year---his legs are a lot longer. It's obvious he's dealing with a growth spurt and he's recovering from an injury. He probably hasn't had that much practice time with the 3a in the last couple of months and he has to adjust to his new legs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He's fifteen, for crying out loud.

And was injured.

Get off the kid's back already.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Honestly he needs more speed. Because he is still so small and doesn't have much muscle, he needs greater speed going into his 3A to create the momentum needed for the jump.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think his triple axel will return to consistency as he becomes more comfortable with his body and changes. And really when they are young, like the ladies and haven't fully developed their jumps are generally not pretty nor are their body lines. They look kind of coltish, runtish, with spindly legs. Though Tara Lipinksi was a senior when she won OGM she still reminded me of Michelle kwan or other skaters when they started seniors very young even if they could rotate those jumps the jumps was a wimpish, spindly awkwardness - it was not a robust, high amplitude jump. Baiul despite two footing problems had amplitude despite being fairly young. Lipnskaya still looks at times a bit spindly like her legs haven't caught up but nearly as bad as Nathan - his jumps don't look that pretty - yet. he will gain muscle, strength so it won't look like he is trying to catch up to the music and like a little boy - but he is young and physically still forming. However, he does not skate like a man yet - probably because he isn't a man YET! :)

noskates

Record Breaker
A little OT but SkaterBoy mentioned Tara Lipinski. I hated her jumps. She wrapped her leg like roller skaters do - which she was before she took up figure skating. Her jumps were nothing but awkward.

But otherwise I think he summed it up. Nathan is young and his body is changing and he's going to need to make adjustments just like the women do who have big growth spurts during a year (Mirai comes to mind.....)

I think he was adorable to watch in the past couple of years because he was so tiny and was pulling off these big jumps. It remains to be seen if he'll grow into a mature, lyrical skater.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Re: Jason. He definitely was going through a major growth spurt when he was around Nathan's age. He was like 5'1" when he was 15 and then grew like six inches over two years. That's a big reason there was a delay on getting his 3A.

Nam Nguyen, who is a year older than Nathan also struggled greatly when he went though his growth spurt. He also was a non factor in juniors until late last season.

Also Nathan has (or had?) Osgood Schattler syndrome, so he really had to cut back.

I disagree that Nathan was just a jumper. I thought he had very good skating skills and basics as well.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re: Jason. He definitely was going through a major growth spurt when he was around Nathan's age. He was like 5'1" when he was 15 and then grew like six inches over two years. That's a big reason there was a delay on getting his 3A.

Nam Nguyen, who is a year older than Nathan also struggled greatly when he went though his growth spurt. He also was a non factor in juniors until late last season.

Also Nathan has (or had?) Osgood Schattler syndrome, so he really had to cut back.

I disagree that Nathan was just a jumper. I thought he had very good skating skills and basics as well.
I love how some people are already jumping off the bandwagon for Nathan just because he's not dominating like he did a couple years ago. Someone mentioned Nam Nguyen who wasn't even a factor for most of the time he spent on the JGP with just a couple Bronze medals in 3 years but then he put it together finally at Jr Worlds. Nathan i believe is better then Nam was at his age and it's not like he's finishing off the podium.

Icey

Record Breaker
There is a list of skaters this could be asked about, some at the top of the heap.