Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems | Golden Skate

Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wonder why he was so insistent on sticking to the same manufacturer? Does he have an endorsement from them or something?

And I don't understand why he has this problem now, when didn't really have this problem previously? Or maybe it's always been a problem and we're just hearing about it?

noskates

Record Breaker
I always wonder about skaters with skate problems. I realize boots and blades are expensive but since they're a total requirement it seems like moving to another manufacturer would be a no-brainers. OR, if Kevin does have an endorsement then it would behoove that company to make it right for him.

Icey

Record Breaker
Difficult to understand the reason the problem is so hard to remedy. Perplexing too that the break down problem occurs so quickly.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Poor Kevin he has had boot problems for a couple of years now.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I always wonder about skaters with skate problems. I realize boots and blades are expensive but since they're a total requirement it seems like moving to another manufacturer would be a no-brainers. OR, if Kevin does have an endorsement then it would behoove that company to make it right for him.

My guess is it is sorta an enemy you know vs enemy you don't issue. There is no guarantee switching will help, so there could be a feeling of as bad as the status quo is, it is still the best option.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder why he was so insistent on sticking to the same manufacturer? Does he have an endorsement from them or something?

And I don't understand why he has this problem now, when didn't really have this problem previously? Or maybe it's always been a problem and we're just hearing about it?

The Risport website indicates that Reynolds is officially affiliated with them.

The site has a post-Sochi interview with him. It includes this quote (irony alert):

How long have you been a Risport athlete, Kevin?

I am using Risport boots since 2011, and I feel very confident with that; I believe it will be even getting better in the future, because we all work together to reach the perfect point of boot customization and so the best fit.

http://www.risport.com/risport-meets-kevin-reynolds/

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
For some skaters, changing boots is very difficult, both mentally and physically. They are so accustomed to a specific last, a specific heel height, a specific look, feel, sense of feel on the ice, etc etc etc, that changing to a different manufacturer (all have their own unique characteristics) - is a huge challenge. Some skaters can bounce into a new boot easily. Given how sensitive that it seems Kevin is as compared to some other high-level skaters (I've seen top level skaters skating in boots that are held together with duct tape and prayers, who are seemingly unphased and quite successful) - I can see a transition to a new boot as perhaps being a major problem for him.

He could get an endorsement from another boot manufacturer. Having the "quad king" landing his quads again in the miracle boots that solved his entire boot problem - great story.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish so so so so so so so so so badly that there will be the perfect solution. It's not fair for him to have such problems. He's so talented and ugh!!!!! There's got to be a good solution somewhere.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Seriously why doesn't he use costume boots or change the brand? @_@ His boot problem has been around for how long I couldn't remember.

supsu

On the Ice
This is something i really don't understand.

"Reynolds found success in 2013 wearing a stock pair of Risport boots that he bought off the shelf. Despite custom fitting that included two trips to the Risport manufacturer in Italy — most recently this past summer — the heels of the boots would break down after a week or two of wear."

If he had good skates "stock pair" why can't he just use those? I mean the same model, not the same skates.
And yes, u would think if someone is having the same issue (breaking down) with the same manufacturer they would at least try different ones. He must have lost so much money for this already, as he said in a previous article. Sad sad thing.

LRK

Record Breaker
Poor Kevin... Count me among the perplexed... I don't understand why this cannot get sorted somehow? Also, wouldn't it lie in Risport's interest to get this fixed? (if for whatever reason he cannot leave them) I mean, this can't be doing their "good name" much good, can it? It's hardly the purpose of an endorsement, that people hearing about it will think: "Risport? - Hmm... Kevin Reynolds?.... Uuuuuuuuuuh! Them!"

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Goodness, this is still going on? Poor Kevin... From the sounds of it, he needs some really special boots, but I can't believe it's still not fixed. I mean, if he's been with them since 2011, surely there's been one pair that worked? Can't they replicate that?

Icey

Record Breaker
Two trips to Italy. Surely there is a less expensive way to address the issue.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Didn't Tim Goebel have boot problems that knocked him out for almost an entire season? It seems like it should be an easy fix however, it must be far more complex than any of us realize. I can imagine it's extremely frustrating for Kevin and his team.

I Love his unique style and with Patrick on a break, he must know what a great chance he has to be National Champion and a World Medalist.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Can someone please explain how this skate problem works? They don´t fit, and why don´t they. Last year Javier and Dennis Ten also have problems.