Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Goodness, this is still going on? Poor Kevin... From the sounds of it, he needs some really special boots, but I can't believe it's still not fixed. I mean, if he's been with them since 2011, surely there's been one pair that worked? Can't they replicate that?

See that's what I was thinking about too! Like, I was like, "WHAT made that one pair work perfectly?!"

I was thinking....hmmmm maybe they can make one with an even narrower heel and then when it's broken in, it'll be the right size.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe we can educate ourselves in the anatomy of figure skating boots and then see if we can find a solution for him

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe we can educate ourselves in the anatomy of figure skating boots and then see if we can find a solution for him

Good idea, CKH. :)
In all seriousness, do you think you yourself could get academic credit for taking on this question as an independent study/research project? :think:
I think you have said previously that you are pre-med, and I know that you are a big Reynolds fan. You would be an ideal person to help him out. :yes:
Could be a win-win for him and for you.

Seriously why doesn't he use costume boots or change the brand? @_@ His boot problem has been around for how long I couldn't remember.

Stupid question:
What are costume boots?​

... He could get an endorsement from another boot manufacturer. Having the "quad king" landing his quads again in the miracle boots that solved his entire boot problem - great story.

Maybe he had signed a long-term contract and is legally obligated to stick with Risport??

Poor Kevin... Count me among the perplexed... I don't understand why this cannot get sorted somehow? Also, wouldn't it lie in Risport's interest to get this fixed? (if for whatever reason he cannot leave them) I mean, this can't be doing their "good name" much good, can it? It's hardly the purpose of an endorsement, that people hearing about it will think: "Risport? - Hmm... Kevin Reynolds?.... Uuuuuuuuuuh! Them!"

Agree that it is very much in Risport's own interest to solve Kevin's problem (as noskates also said).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good idea, CKH. :)
In all seriousness, do you think you yourself could get academic credit for taking on this question as an independent study/research project? :think:
I think you have said previously that you are pre-med, and I know that you are a big Reynolds fan. You would be an ideal person to help him out. :yes:
Could be a win-win for him and for you.

Stupid question:
What are costume boots?​

Maybe he had signed a long-term contract and is legally obligated to stick with Risport??

Agree that it is very much in Risport's own interest to solve Kevin's problem (as noskates also said).

Hmmm.... I'm probably not going to get academic credit on it lol. But I will defintely get some learning experience. Like this past summer when me and an online together for fun created a SP and FP for him...we were thinking of sending to him as fan mail...but after what happened at the competition this week, we agreed that probably we should wait until the end of the season to send it to him...

Anywho. Yeah I'll try to see what I can find out through internet research and possible solutions. Cause there HAS to be a solution. He's amazing at jumps when he has the right boots and deserves to show them at the fullest potential and it's not fair for him to have these problems STILL.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I love Kevin, and if it weren't for him I would have thought it's not the real truth. I almost can't believe it is true. The boots can be customized, it is not such a hard science. Some store boots are so narrow that neither me nor my son can use them. It is true I am no real skater...my better days are long time gone, but my slim built son is junior figure skater...Up to now he used store bought boots. I know Kevin is at a completely different level...still just unbelievable.

mrrice

Record Breaker
" What are costume boots? " Hey Golden411

I might be wrong but, I think they have meant {Custom Boots ;)} Meaning they are made specifically for Kevin and no one else.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
" What are costume boots? " Hey Golden411

I might be wrong but, I think they have meant { Custom Boots ;)} Meaning they are made specifically for Kevin and no one else.

Oh, now I get it. :) Thx, mrrice.
I do know what custom boots are ... but the costume/custom equivalency, which I do think is plausible (perhaps an autocorrect glitch), had not dawned upon me -- until you opened my eyes to it. (Was not trying to be snarky to Meoima.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What worries me is the similarity to Tim Goebel's experience...ultimately it wasn't his boots, it was his body breaking down from the hammering of doing so many quads. To Tim, it felt like boots at the time.

However, one thing that is hopeful is one manifestation of Kevin's problem is that the heels keep breaking. Better/different material might fix this...kevlar laminate heels, maybe???

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh, now I get it. :) Thx, mrrice.
I do know what custom boots are ... but the costume/custom equivalency, which I do think is plausible (perhaps an autocorrect glitch), had not dawned upon me -- until you opened my eyes to it. (Was not trying to be snarky to Meoima.)
I mean custom boots. Sorry English is not my native. :laugh: and the auto correct on IOS doesn't help me either.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
See that's what I was thinking about too! Like, I was like, "WHAT made that one pair work perfectly?!"

I was thinking....hmmmm maybe they can make one with an even narrower heel and then when it's broken in, it'll be the right size.
The only thing I could think of is if his feet changed since then (since the last pair that worked, I mean). But I don't remember him having some late growth spurt, so I don't know how that could be.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Hmm, that's very interesting. I guess he could fall under the "exercise changes feet" category.

LRK

Record Breaker
Or both? Foot and boot problem - foot problem leading to boot problem?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:bow: I wish we had a podiatrist posting on GS to discuss this knowledgeably! It could be very interesting.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Are there any pics of Kevin in sandals? Sometimes skater's feet become really deformed (especially men)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Of course you have to hope he isn't committing a fashion faux pas and wearing sox with the sandals. Seriously, this is a long time to have boot problems and it ruined his Olympic run - he was fifth at world's in 2013 I believe. His latest results might show he could be fifth in Canada. Hopefully skate canada or someone can help.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:scowl:
Are there any pics of Kevin in sandals? Sometimes skater's feet become really deformed (especially men)

True Statement ! This happens to Prima Ballerinas all the time. Just when they break in a pair of pointe shoes, something changes. Even a new callus can throw them off balance and is quite painful. Obviously, this happens less with Men as they don't go on pointe and their shoes are soft and pliable.

I can definitely see skating boots being absolutely hard on any skaters feet. Add that, the impact when taking off and landing is far more forceful than dance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I seem to recall that former 'quad king' Timothy Goebel went through similar problems at the same age and never recovered his jumps. At first he believed it was a boot problem, but in the end it turned out his entire body structure had changed subtly in a way that made it impossible for him to regain control of his jump technique, and he was forced to retire.

Kevin's jump technique has never been all that stable to begin with---his axel is awful, and his quads have always been marginally UR. If his body structure has undergone some subtle change with maturity, that could make it all that much worse.