Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kevin Reynolds continues to struggle with skate problems

Meoima

Match Penalty
I seem to recall that former 'quad king' Timothy Goebel went through similar problems at the same age and never recovered his jumps. At first he believed it was a boot problem, but in the end it turned out his entire body structure had changed subtly in a way that made it impossible for him to regain control of his jump technique, and he was forced to retire.
Kevin's jump technique has never been all that stable to begin with---his axel is awful, and his quads have always been marginally UR. If his body structure has undergone some subtle change with maturity, that could make it all that much worse.
Oh no, I hope it's not the case for Kevin. :cry:

nadster

Final Flight
I tend to agree with chuckm here a little bit

As well Timothy's axel was also worse than his quads when he skated. He also like Kevin, never got much height on those jumps and the jumps had a spinny quality to them.

I hope that Kevin can sort the problem out. It will take more than just well fitting skates though. He would also have to change his technique and I don't see Joanne Mcleod as being able or willing to guide him through the needed changes.

nadster

Final Flight
Didn't Kozuka and Abbott have serious boot problems? They made it back.

These skaters have very different ( and sounder ) technique to Kevin that might have have helped them with foot adjustments.

Just like a growth spurt, it probably would be easier to adjust if the technique is sound to begin with. There are many flaws to Kevin's jumping technique especially on the axel.

Reynolds and Goebel are much more similar in technique so comparisons there seem to make more sense IMO.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But, as Doris pointed out, the heels of Kevin's boots would literally start breaking after a while. So it seems at least partially a boot issue.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
This is really frustrating, I'm a big fan of Patrick but he always over shadows the other Canadian men so I was hoping that Kevin would finally break out, ack these damn boots =(

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My skate boots are Risport and I wear a AAA boot. I used to wear Wifa boots when I started skating years ago and absolutely loved my Wifas. I made the switch to Risports later and love them, no problems. I just purchased a pair of Jackson boots a couple of years ago and have tried them once. I can say that it does take one awhile to get used to new boots, but Kevin just does not seem to be making any progress. Having a narrow foot does make it difficult to get a proper fit in any sort of shoe or boot. I can sympathize with Kevin. I sure hope Kevin can find a pair of boots that work for him. It will be the perfect opportunity for him to do well this season with Patrick off the radar. All the best to Kevin in the new season!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Uh oh. I hope Kevin is not the next Timothy Goebel.

Kevin has a potential to be among the best (WC 2013 is the prove) but unfortunatly he was overshadowed by Patrick and his technique is...
Let's say weird. A lot. His Flip and Lutz are the best examples.

I have seen his FS at the Autumm Classics... And I was dissapointed. I know that music is very specific but I can't see any improvement, his Choreography and he doesn't tell a story, I couldn't feel any connection with the audience. And his jumps... What the hell was that. I hope he can rebound later. Even Nam and Jeremy beat him.

I thought he could win the Nationals. It looks like I will pray for him to make the World team.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think he's in danger of losing to anyone except Nam. I mean, it's not like the rest of the Canadian men are doing anything spectacular...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think he's in danger of losing to anyone except Nam. I mean, it's not like the rest of the Canadian men are doing anything spectacular...

Yeah, Nam is his major threat, and it looks like Nam is developing consistency. I feel like Reynolds will be like Abbott at US Nationals last year... He will have to work for the title, against guys who could spoil if they go clean and he falters. If Nam lights up the GP circuit though you can bet come Nationals his PCS will be on par with Reynolds and then Kevin will really need to put together strong technical performances.

Getting to worlds should be a cake walk though for Nam and Kevin.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Luckily after the NHK trophy, Kevin has a month and a half to prepare for nationals.

With Patrick out of the picture for this season, Kevin has as bigger chance of winning nationals. However, after the Autumn Classic, I'm more nervous. I just hope the Autumn Classic was just a "hiccup."

I'm trying to stay positive, but because of my mindset of "assume the worst, hope for the best," it's not easy to do so until I'm 100% he can do it.

And I'm huge fan of him. But I'm also a reasonable and honest fan. And to be honest, my hopes are a pinch lower than they were before the Autumn Classic. Yes I know it was just ONE competition so far, Skate Canada International is in 12 days. I hope he does a lot better. But there's going to be this huge amount of nerves in me of course.

noskates

Record Breaker
Whenever I read about Kevin I think back to his comments about not really listening to his music! Until or if he ever starts "using" his music his choreography and presentation are always going to be mediocre.

Alchamei

Record Breaker

I agree, Patrick is gone and there's nobody we could could clearly call a medal contender. However, wasn't Kevin the thid best Canadian in this competiton? I guess Jeremy won't beat him consistetly, but then... That jumps...

Kevin shouldn't forget it's not only about quad jumps. He has to work on his other jumps and his presentation. Let's hope he can win the nationals.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is truly perplexing. You would think that there must be some sort of insole or some extra molding they could do to fix this problem. It would seem that they could make a molding of his feet { Similar to what a Dentist would do to make Dentures fit each individual mouth } and form the boots accordingly.

Kevin has a ton of potential and a real shot at the National Title when he's on so, I really hope they find an answer soon. Once the season gets into full swing, it will be difficult to make any changes. Remember Michelle's 1997 Season...

Has his coach made any comment as to what they're doing to try and fix the problem ?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is truly perplexing. You would think that there must be some sort of insole or some extra molding they could do to fix this problem. It would seem that they could make a molding of his feet { Similar to what a Dentist would do to make Dentures fit each individual mouth } and form the boots accordingly.

Kevin has a ton of potential and real shot at the National Title when he's on so, I really hope they find an answer soon. Once the season gets into full swing, it will be difficult to make any changes. Remember Michelle's 1997 Season...

Has his coach made any comment as to what they're doing to try and fix the problem ?

A mold...that sounds like a good idea!

I really hope he wins nationals, it's his time to shine and he definitely has a shot.

Also as a side note, dentists also make mouth molds for retainers. Like I had to do 3 times (And oh boy it was disgusting).

Shani

On the Ice
Every manufacturer has their own unique boot so they are all different. Risport has a higher heel, harlick lower, so the center of gravity is in a completely different place. Changing brands greatly affects the jumps so he should have done it in the off season. Seems he has an endorsement deal with Risport he maybe can't get out of...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Did Kevin skate in any competition this summer/autumn?

Not that I know of, which is why I find this situation so odd. It's also why I'd like to hear what his coach has to say as to their next step in this difficult process.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I searched the net, and I found out he skated in Skate Canada Autumn event in Barrie, Ontario (mid october). He finished 6. Nam Nguien was second after Ross Minor. Both Kevin programs are on youtube. He is not bad, but quite far away from where he could be...what a pity.

sarahspins

Rinkside
Having a narrow foot does make it difficult to get a proper fit in any sort of shoe or boot.

This was exactly what I was thinking when I read the start of this thread a few days ago - it doesn't surprise me at all that he's been through so many boots this season and last season. What feels fine initially may not work out once those boots are broken in (particularly in regards to heel fit - as padding compresses and the heel counter opens up, the fit changes radically, and once you have a heel that is slipping, there is really very little you can do to those boots to "fix" it, the only reasonable solution is just to start over with another pair and hope it turns out better), and unfortunately for most high-level skaters, boots do have a finite lifespan, so even if he did end up with a pair that worked, they won't last a full season.