Alena Leonova fights back | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alena Leonova fights back

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
This goes way back to when Anissina competed for France and became its most decorated ice dancer.

Zlobina and Sitnokov now has a chance to compete at the international level that they would probably lack of if they had stay in Russia. They would never get two GP spots and a certain performance at Europeans and Worlds. Changing countries is a controversial thing but I suppose it has more advantages than disadvantages: if Leonova had switched to another country, this country's fs fans would have great skater to support and Russian fans definitely wouldn't grumble about shortage of good ladies :p

Ladies is the obvious discipline for Russian/US skaters to move to Canada (Japanese skaters lose citizenship). With Osmond struggling, and not a lot of huge competition from Chartrand/Daleman at this point, a well-established skater like Leonova could actually flourish here compared to fighting a sea of Russian youngsters.

I don't know much about financing figure skater but I suppose Lubov doesn't have a strong financial help from Canada now. I think that "skatingly poorer" country would be much more eager to pay for her trainings.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Zlobina and Sitnokov now has a chance to compete at the international level that they would probably lack of if they had stay in Russia. They would never get two GP spots and a certain performance at Europeans and Worlds. Changing countries is a controversial thing but I suppose it has more advantages than disadvantages: if Leonova had switched to another country, this country's fs fans would have great skater to support and Russian fans definitely wouldn't grumble about shortage of good ladies :p

I don't know much about financing figure skater but I suppose Lubov doesn't have a strong financial help from Canada now. I think that "skatingly poorer" country would be much more eager to pay for her trainings.

What about Hungary ? With Julia retired, I would think they'd love to have a skater like Alena. Of course, I really don't know what the skating situation is like for Hungary right now but, they have hosted The European Championships in the past and might be financially ready to take great care of her should she move there.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, we can't exactly treat Leonova like a skater to be passed around either. :p She could have her pick of Euro countries or Canada to better her chances at another Worlds, but I don't think it's in her nature to defect from Russia (even if it would probably be in her best interests, at least from a competitive standpoint). One also thinks that she might compromise any potential gigs in Russia were she to represent another country. I doubt Savchenko has the same stock in Germany anymore having switched to represent France with Massot.

LRK

Record Breaker
It may be a bit late in the day for her to change as well - wouldn't she have to sit out two seasons or something?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What about Hungary ? With Julia retired, I would think they'd love to have a skater like Alena. Of course, I really don't know what the skating situation is like for Hungary right now but, they have hosted The European Championships in the past and might be financially ready to take great care of her should she move there.

Julia is actually coaching a promising young skater there, Ivett Toth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMNCLki-4sM

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
duh dum...
duh dumm...
duh dummm....
du da laaaaaa...
.....wwahaaaa...uhharrghhhh.... bloodbaths at russia nationals. never underestimate the great white shark, especially one with fiery red hair. hair of the vikings, dutch, scots warriors! queen elizabeth! veteran power! (*weakly* gooo lizaaaa, knock them dead with your whirly arm style kungfu with a real lutz.)

desertskates

Medalist
Her programs have never been my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed this interview! She seems to have a lovely personality. And I have tremendous respect for her drive to push forward. I wish her well this season! And if I was a rich person with unlimited time, I'd book me a ticket to try to get in to see Russian nationals live. THAT will be an interesting competition :popcorn:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Her programs have never been my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed this interview! She seems to have a lovely personality. And I have tremendous respect for her drive to push forward. I wish her well this season! And if I was a rich person with unlimited time, I'd book me a ticket to try to get in to see Russian nationals live. THAT will be and interesting competition :popcorn:

No Kidding.....I would love to go to Russian Nationals. Great skating and the chance to see Maria Butryskaya in person. Oh.... to be a fly on the wall in that locker room for Russian Nationals. Well, a fly with a translator :yes:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think Alena is not just staying in Russia for pride, but because the Russian federation pays for her parents' apartment. I imagine if she left Russia, her parents would lose their home.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think Alena is not just staying in Russia for pride, but because the Russian federation pays for her parents' apartment. I imagine if she left Russia, her parents would lose their home.

Excellent point. And also, she mentioned she likes living at home because being solo in Moscow was a bit lonely for her.

Anyhow, really enjoyed everyone's contributions on this thread. Glad to know that Alena has supportive fans in this forum!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
nyhow, really enjoyed everyone's contributions on this thread. Glad to know that Alena has supportive fans in this forum!

Alena is sooo much younger than all those miraculous Russian babies ;)