Shots fired inside Canadian Parliament | Golden Skate

Shots fired inside Canadian Parliament

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(CNN) -- A Canadian soldier was shot as he and another soldier stood guard at Canada's Parliament war memorial Wednesday. Details are emerging as authorities try to secure the government building in Ottawa.

This is horrific!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The soldier has died. Office to office is being searched in Parliament. They aren't sure how many assailants are involved.

My prayers and thoughts to all Canadians at this time, and especially with our Canadian GS members.

Lilli

Rinkside
I can't believe this is happening in my city. It is almost surreal - I have been shaking all day. Ottawa was such a peaceful safe place and it feels as though that has been stolen from us.

Thank you for the prayers, they are appreciated.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Canada will stand "Canadian Strong" and we Yanks will stand with them. The same thing could easily happen in WA DC tomarrow.....if this is domestic terrorism in the name of a radical religious fanatic then perhaps, like Northern Ireland, let us hope that more reasonable religious folk prevail in the future.
I can't believe this is happening in my city. It is almost surreal - I have been shaking all day. Ottawa was such a peaceful safe place and it feels as though that has been stolen from us.

Thank you for the prayers, they are appreciated.

katia

On the Ice
The soldier has died. Office to office is being searched in Parliament. They aren't sure how many assailants are involved.

My prayers and thoughts to all Canadians at this time, and especially with our Canadian GS members.
There was one terrorist, Zehaf-Bibeau, who was convert to Islam. Radio-Canada has identified the killer's mother as Susan Bibeau, Deputy Chairperson of the Immigration and Refugee Board.
This killer and the first one, in Quebec, they both followed the advice given over internet by muslims fighting for Islamic State (otherwise known as IS or Daesh) .
In Canada there are over 90 muslims who were not allowed to go to fight for Islamic State, unfortunately, police got their passports but decided not to arrest them, so now they are walking in our cities instead of (hopefully) being dead abroad.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...otings-had-a-disturbing-side/article21252419/

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is horrible. My condolences to the family of the soldier and to all Canadians!

rvi5

On the Ice
In Canada there are over 90 muslims who were not allowed to go to fight for Islamic State, unfortunately, police got their passports but decided not to arrest them, so now they are walking in our cities instead of (hopefully) being dead abroad.
Where is Ebola when you need it? :mad:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That was a great moment...like Olympians walking into the opening ceremony after 9/11 waving American flags.....
Pittsburgh hockey fans singing "O Canada" in solidarity @ the Penguins' game last night w/ the Philadelphia Flyers:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/hockey-crowd-pittsburgh-sings-canada-shooting/story?id=26393305

Having grown up in Pittsburgh, this made me proud. Nice people in that town...

On a more serious note, when will people ever learn that the things that bind us together as humans are so much more important than the things that make us different? :cry:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pittsburgh hockey fans singing "O Canada" in solidarity @ the Penguins' game last night w/ the Philadelphia Flyers:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/hockey-crowd-pittsburgh-sings-canada-shooting/story?id=26393305

Having grown up in Pittsburgh, this made me proud. Nice people in that town...

On a more serious note, when will people ever learn that the things that bind us together as humans are so much more important than the things that make us different? :cry:

That was a great moment...like Olympians walking into the opening ceremony after 9/11 waving American flags.....

:agree:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
iluvtodd/CoyoteChris -- thanks from the bottom of my Pittsburgh-born heart! :love:

So sad that here in NYC, after hearing about what happened in Ottawa, today in NYC a "self-radicalized" terrorist attacked 2 NYPD officers w/ a hatchet. Then there was the school shooting north of Seattle. What next?

heyang

Record Breaker
What has changed so much in the world that has led to this extreme behavior? it's just so sad.....

There's also a report of a young trio of teenage girls who tried to sneak off to Syria to join the IS. Fortunately, their parents realized their passports were missing and they were stopped in Germany. http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/colorado-teens-syria-odyssey/index.html?iref=allsearch

The kid in Marysville shot 2 of his cousins during his rampage. http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/25/us/washington-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"Live by the sword, die by the sword" - Matthew 26:52

katia

On the Ice
"Live by the sword, die by the sword" - Matthew 26:52
Funny, I always though that Canadian, US and Western soldiers do not "live by the sword", they prevent others to do that. Prevent others to kill people like you.
So in that connection -- are you an apologist for terrorists?
Perhaps you may change your mind after reading an interview with one of the guys who kill Westerners.
http://www.spiegel.de/international...iew-with-an-extremist-recruiter-a-999557.html

katia

On the Ice
well, I do not understand WHY they should be stopped. This guy who killed the soldier also have his passport taken and was stopped from going to Syria. And then he went on rampage in Canada.
What these young girls will do in couple of months? Will they kill somebody in Canada? In USA?

Alba

Record Breaker
We are Canadians. We are nice, but tough. A crazy person or an obscurantist philosophy won't move us an inch by our life style.
We'll keep working, take the subway to go and watch a hockey game. We'll go in theatres or pubs.
But most of all we won't give a ...... about cockroaches coming from a dark Era trying to teach us how to live our lives.
May you rest in Peace, Corporal Cirillo.

Cit. my canadian friend.