United-States
Re: great thread--take two

sarahmistral said:

p.s. great skaters remind me of Lay's...can't have just one...:laugh:
You are speaking of potato chips aren't you?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Pati

On the Ice
All of my picks are based on the fact that their performances take me away, and have the ability to move me to tears

Ladies: Michelle Kwan. I doubt that anyone can take her place.
Men: Brian Boitano. His spread eagle still amazes me.
Pairs:Babilonia and Gardner. Oh how I loved to watch them skate.(but I really really liked G&G too)
Dance: Torvill and Dean. Bolero.

Last edited:

patsue47

Rinkside
PAST--Ladies: Peggy Fleming--A calmness yet nerves of steel, athletic yet elegant--the forerunner to Michelle.

Men--Scott Hamilton--his footwork totally captivated me-- didn't have the best Oly's skate--but I admired his ability to use the figures portion to keep him in the running. Like Peggy--he knew figures were extremely important and used them to his advantage.

Pairs--Tai and Randy and the Protopopovs--these were "matched" pairs--not great, big men throwing teeny, tiny women (or in some cases little girls) around.

Dance--no one, just a discipline I do not enjoy watching.

PRESENT: Ladies--Michelle Kwan--no one else takes me on the journey quite like she does.

Men--Brian Joubert--no real reason I just like his skating I guess.

Pairs--Shen and Zhao--it's been a real treat to watch their transformation. Hope they win Oly Gold!

Dance--again no one--I just can't get past the ugly costumes, overly dramatic shenanigans and some of the truly disgusting lifts.

mariana

On the Ice
Past:
Pairs: G&G, the first time I saw them I was amazed why them and have been ever since.
Dance: T&D and L&P, I just loved this two dance team.

Present:
Pairs: Not sure...Shen&Zhao maybe, but they are not even close to G&G
Dance D&S:love: spetially him:D , seriously, I loved them, love what they do on the ice, they are always doing something different and I admire that very much

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Past:

Pairs: I've only really got "into" pairs in the last few years, but from what I've seen I really like Mishketeunok/Dmitiriev. I thought they should have won at 1994 Olys, thought they were beautiful. They seemed a bit different, unique, esp. for a Russian pair. Still had a classical, traditional approach, but slightly unusual with it.

Mens: Alexei urmanov. Don't think he is the msot popular skater ever, but I thought he was beautiful to watch. When he was on he was the best out there. OK, always had slightly dodgy costumes haha, but a very balletic and beautiful skater.

Dance: Torvill/Dean. Hehe, they've been picked enough times, I don't need to go on about them. Although it was T/D that got me into skating in the first place. Thanks to them! :p

Ladies: Hmm, tough one....I'll go with Midori Ito. She was so different to anything we'd ever seen before, or since even. Even when she wasn't perfect, you could tell her love for skating! That 3A she did, first in 89 and then at 92 Olys are some of the most amazing things I've ever seen! Really miss her, and there will be no-one like her.
(Close behind: Lu Chen, Surya Bonaly

Present:

Pairs: Shen/Zhao...hehe not the first time they've been picked. I've been a fan of these two from the very first time I saw them, 96 worlds. I knew straight away I loved them, and that they were going to be good. Don't often have that feeling. Their performance at last 2 worlds are my favoruite, in any discipline.

Mens: Not my fave discipline....I'll go with Sandhu. I love his artistry, dancing...he's a bit different. Also love Johnny Weir.

Dance: Denkova/Staviski. Their FD at worlds this year was amazing. They make ice dance exciting to me (not an easy thing to do!) Also think they're both very cute! ;)

Ladies: Shizuka Arakawa. Hehe, she may not be a "great" like some others, but I still love her. I first saw her at lalique in 2001(?) when she landed 6 or 7 triples. Knew then that I'd really like her, and she's grown on me ever since. Her LP at worlds this year reduces me to tears every time! Never have I been so happy for one skater! :love:
(Runners-up: Michelle Kwan, Fumie Suguri)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Pairs
Mishkitenok & Dmitriev Superb artistry, "skating as one", technique... in a word, eveything.
Dance
Bestemianova & Bukin Their intensity on the ice was unmatched.
Men
Yagudin OK, so I am not very original. But he, IMHO, had eveything.
Ladies
Baiul No other lady skater could IMO so express emotions on the ice.

lulu

Final Flight
Past:
Pairs: M&D-Agree with Divakawafan with being both traditional and unique at the same time. People sometimes point out that they did not have the absolute perfect technique that G&G did(usually w/reference to 1994), but what often gets failed to mention-is that M&D had better technique than many other pairs at the time. And in my opinion-one of the most influencial pairs of all times.

Men: Ilia Kulik: Incredible jumps, smooth basics, deep edges. Wonderful speed. Is really growing as a skater with his pro work too.

Dance: Klimova & Ponomarenko: Made me fall in love with ice dance. Passion and technique

Ladies: Never a huge fan of ladies. Would have to be a tie for Midori Ito: those JUMPS! and her great energy on ice. And Oksana Bauil-ballet on ice.

Present:
Pairs: B&S-okay maybe they should technically be considered in the past since they're pros now. But I couldn't leave out either M&D or B&S-so I'm putting B&S in the present. Speed, Stroking as an art, great choreography.

Men: Ilia Klimkin: maybe it is something with the initials Ilia K. But I have not been this excited about a skater in such a long time. Excellent, excellent choreography. Was so:cry: when he couldn't skate at worlds.

Dance: Denkova & Staviski: Absolutely love their innovative approach-wonderful

Ladies: Again, not a huge fan. But I love Shizuka Anakawa and Galina Manichenko.

Many of my choices, M&D, B&S, Klimkin, D&S-are known for their unique choreography

Vash01

Medalist
Pairs:

Past- Gordeeva-Grinkov (I would have picked one more- M&D, but we are only allowed to pick one). Perfect, beautiful, artistic.

Current- B&S (I would not count them as 'past' since they are still skating). They have the best of everything- the quiet speed and power of G&G, great postures and lines, and the passion and creativity of M&D. I don't care if they don't compete in the eligibles. They still are the best pair out there.

Now, if you want a pair from the current eligibles, there is no pair that I would like to select. S&Z don't come close in artistry or in technique (did not mean to bash them; just wanted to clarify why since some people seem to love them). Great height and distance on throws, without the postures and lines just does not do it for me.

Men:

Past-

This is always a tough category. I don't consider Boitano as 'past' and now Wylie is back so I cannot choose him either. Yagudin is still skating, and so is Kulik. I may have to go all the way back to John Curry, whom I have only watched on the magic memories tape.

Present- Plushenko, undoubtedly. Nobody comes even close right now. His presence on the ice and the jumps are unmatched. Since the others I just mentioned as current, they deserve consideration. Boitano is the greatest in that group, IMO, even though Yagudin and Kulik would be very very close. However, I will stick with Plushenko for his awesome quads.

Ladies:

Past- Kristi, Midori, Kat Witt all are almost past, although Kat is still skating. I will go with Midori on this one. Nobody comes even close to her awesome jumps in the past. In this rare case I will relax my requirement for artistry. I just cannot help liking Midori.

Present- Michelle is clearly my number one lady. I don't care if she never wins the Olympic gold, or if she does not land anything harder than 3t-3t. She is the most complete skater and an unbelievable competitor. She gets my vote.

Ice dance:

Past- I know I am a rarity here. Although I was blown away by T&D's Bolero, I am going to go with Klimova-Ponomarenko. I loved their perfect technique and passion on the ice.

Present- This is another case of 'I don't like anyone'. I am scratching my head to see who I like, but it is impossible to pick any of the current ice dance teams. I sort of like Navka-Kostomarov, but they don't come anywhere close to K&P, U&Z, K&O, and of course T&D. I will pass on this one.

Vash

Effy

Rinkside
Sorry to be impertenent - but what speed did you admire with B&E? Their 94 performance was so slow Even Scott Hamilton admited that, and may I ad except for daring lift they were way behind the Russian pairs in all aspects . My own choices

G&G - the most complete pair ever
Ilja Kulik- the most natural male skater ever
Mo & Min - most expressive ice dancers
ladies A difficult call, but I think I go with Yoke Sato

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Men
- past: Ilia Kulik (agreeing totally with Effy´s posting above)
- present: Stéphane Lambiel (the most exciting eligible skater of today)

Ladies
- past: Karen Magnussen
- present: Shizuka Arakawa (technical ability combined with great talent in presentation)

Pairs
- past: G & G (what a pair they were!!!)
- present: Shen & Zhao (have liked them a lot since 1998 and now they have become truly amazing)

Ice dance
- past: Torvill & Dean
- present: Denkova & Staviyski

bestskate8

On the Ice
Past:
Cranston
Yka Sato
Krilova/Ovsinikov
Berejnaya/Siharulidze

Present:
Plushenko
Kwan
Navka/Kastomarov
Shen/Zao

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I really thought this would be easy...

Men-past: John Curry, for his line and posture, for fusing dance and skating, for his range, for his musicality, and for his vision

Men-present: Klimkin, for the tension and drama in his movements particularly throughout his center, for his unique sensibility, for his combination of movement and shape that in dance is called "plastique," for his commitment to his own style

Ladies-past: Janet Lynn, for her combination of flow and athleticism, softness and strength, tension and flexibility, and for her expression of joy

Ladies-present: Shizuka Arakawa, for her beautiful, graceful arms, soft knees, and flowing edges, for the patience with which she skates and performs each movement, for the way she uses every inch of the rink, for the speed and flow in and out of her jumps

Pairs-past: In 1989 baritones Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Bryn Terfel competed in the Singer of the World Context in Cardiff. Both sang like deep-voiced angels, so why choose between them? That's the way I feel about Gordeeva/Grinkov for their lines, elegance, edges, and especially the parity between them and Mishketienok/Dmitriev, for the wonderful tension and drama they brought to pairs skating. Why decide? So I won't. Ironically, neither team skated what I think to be the best pairs performance of all (recorded) time: B&S's Chaplin LP in the pre-Olympics Cup of Russia.

Pairs-present: Another refuse to decide. Neither of my two favorite teams are fully cooked, but Totmianina/Marinin have found a lyrical style that suits their line and strengths, and Zhang/Zhang have the makings of a wonderful pair. She's got gorgeous arms, and he showed quite a bit of spark in their Worlds exhibition program.

Dance-past: Torvill/Dean, for their range and creativity, for their edges and lack of cross-overs, for bringing out the strengths of both skaters while fusing into a single entity, culminating in the wonderful collaboration with Yo Yo Ma in Six Gestures.

Dance-present: Denkova/Staviyski, for emphasizing the upper and lower body and using horizontal and vertical planes equally, for her deep knee bend, and for the pulse of motion that moves between and around them when they skate.

Last edited:

Chele615

Rinkside
Men:

Past...Paul Wylie
Present...Tim Goebel

Women:

Past...Kristi Yamaguchi
Present...Shizuka Arakawa

Dance:

Past...Torvill and Dean
Present...Grushina and Goncharov

Pairs:

Past...Jamie Sale and David Pelletier
Present...Anabelle Langlois and Patrice Archetto

roller girl

Rinkside
Ladies: Past: Maria Butyrskaya
Present: Carolina Kostner

Men: Past: Brian Boitano
Present: Emanuel Sandhu

Pairs: Past: Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze
Present: Shen & Zhao

Dance: Past: Anissina & Peizerat
Present: Denkova & Staviysky

Lucy25

Final Flight
This is hard...

Past:

Kristi Yamaguchi
Todd Eldredge (This was the hardest! I liked so many of them...)
Gordeeva & Grinkov
Torvill & Dean

Present:

Michelle Kwan
Jeff Buttle (not my favorite discipline right now, but I guess he's my favorite)
Shen & Zhao
Belbin & Agosto

Antilles

Medalist
I only have two disciplines with specific favourites.

Dance-Anissina & Peizerat-past, present and always. My favourite skaters ever. I only watched dance sporadically until I saw their R&J in '98. From there I was absolutley hooked. I loved their intensity, their original moves, and their drama. I also loved how they could interpret every kind of music, and how they really used their music. It wasn't just background for them.

Men-Kurt Browning. Again, he's my favourite regardless of the time. He has the most amazing feet, and also has great programs where he really "feels" his music. He uses every little beat.

For ladies and pairs, I have a number of skaters that I really enjoy (ie Kwan, Cohen, Arakawa, Witt, Yamaguchi and M&D, U&M, B&E, B&S, A&B), but no clear favourite.

Past:
Scott Hamilton/Kurt Browning....I CAN'T decide which one I'll declare a tie
Katarina Witt
I didn't get to know G&G that well as a pair, so I'll have to say Underhill/Martini
Dance: ?

Present:
Alexei Yagudin
Sasha Cohen
Shen/Zhao
Belbin/Agosto

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Pairs
Past- Berezhnaya and Sikharuldize
Present- Shen and Zhao

Ice Dance
Past-Anissina and Peizerat
Present- Denkova and Stavisky

Ladies
Past- Lu Chen
Present- Michelle Kwan

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Past:

Boitano
Hamill/Kerrigan (tie)
Brasseur/Eisler
Torvill/Dean

Present:

Weir
Kwan (Cohen a close second)
Shen/Zao
Belbin/Agosto

Olenska

Rinkside
Men
Past Brian Orser was my idol when I was a teenager. Therefore, I'm afraid there wasn't much reason in it, :laugh:. But still today, I get all emotionnal when I see him skate. He's a part of my life, really.

Present I'd have to say Emanuel Sandhu. Even if he breaks our hearts on a seasonal basis, he is so amazing to watch that I don't care. He is so lyrical and graceful. I'm confident that someday, he'll get himself together.

Ladies
Past Katarina Witt. She played characters on ice, she told stories. Her way of interpreting her music is still unbeaten, I think. And there is that whole evil-east-german-sports-system nostalgia about her that I find fascinating.

Present I'm a bit confused here. I don't really have a favorite lady skater at this time. But this season, I missed Vika Volchkova. She's is so exquisite. And Sasha Cohen always makes a good impression on me.

Pairs
Past I didn't care much for pairs up until the last years. But I have fond memories of Gordeeva & Grinkov. I also remember liking Kovarikova & Novotny.

Present I like Totmianina & Marinin's brand of classical stoicism. They are not overly dramatic, but they're refined and have beautiful lines. I also like Marcoux and Buntin.

Dance
Past I could say Torvill and Dean, but to be absolutely frank, I didn't see them in their heyday, so I should go with people who are my "contemporaries", so to speak: The Duchesnays. Their "Missing" programs were so exciting, and I don't think we've had a truly innovative team since then. A close second would be Bestemianova and Bukin, for their eccentricity and passion.

Present I'm partial to Denkova & Staviyski, if only for their fantastic OD of 2002-03. If a team can stand out from the rest (of the top ten, at least), it's them.