State of Russian ice dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

State of Russian ice dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
Charlie White was out a year, nearly, when D&W were juniors. I don't think it affected their PCS.

But at the top senior level in the world there's evidence from other teams of fears of loss of place and momentum and status. Evan bates didn't even stay with Samuelson so he was already starting over anyway.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Teams fear loss of PCS, and hope for a gain, every time they put out a set of new programs, I would think, regardless of whether they had been injured or not.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That is so true and can be seen in all the changes bobrova and soloviev for example went through olympic season! I mean change this and change that - they were just totally exhausted at the end of their Olympic free dance and way moreso than I had ever seen them!!

LisaM

Medalist
Hadn't seen this thread before and loved reading the first few comments from before I/Z and S/K debuted haha.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Right now at 15 which would mean loss of a spot. Which would be only good news for Russian ice dance. Hopefully!

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Right now at 15 which would mean loss of a spot. Which would be only good news for Russian ice dance. Hopefully!

Omg, what did russian ice dance couples ever did to you that you hate them so much? Seriously, every thread about ice dance has at least one comment from you celebrating the death of ice dance in Russia. If you think it is dead, than relax and celebrate if it pleases you.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Omg, what did russian ice dance couples ever did to you that you hate them so much? Seriously, every thread about ice dance has at least one comment from you celebrating the death of ice dance in Russia. If you think it is dead, than relax and celebrate if it pleases you.

I like Russian ice dance -big fan - but no world championship since 2009 and main reasons are refusal to fully commit to adapting russian ice dance to modern cop requirements in tech and style.

uhh

Medalist
I like Russian ice dance -big fan - but no world championship since 2009 and main reasons are refusal to fully commit to adapting russian ice dance to modern cop requirements in tech and style.

I think the main reasons are more horrible luck with injuries (D/S, K/N, B/S) and putting too much pressure on teams coming straight out of juniors to be world beaters (I/K) which resulted in panicked coaching changes & the breakdown of a working relationship. They had a team that could have been super successful, but they didn't nurture them properly. Now they have I/Z coming through with a lot of potential, but the federation has to acknowlege that it will take some time to turn all that potential into something concrete that will win titles.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think the main reasons are more horrible luck with injuries (D/S, K/N, B/S) and putting too much pressure on teams coming straight out of juniors to be world beaters (I/K) which resulted in panicked coaching changes & the breakdown of a working relationship. They had a team that could have been super successful, but they didn't nurture them properly. Now they have I/Z coming through with a lot of potential, but the federation has to acknowlege that it will take some time to turn all that potential into something concrete that will win titles.

That's my problem with the fed, they seem to lack poise and patience. What are you meant to think when they actually question Dmitry's commitment due slower than anticipated recovery from injury! These people are unbelievable! The Russian way of doing things needs to change. For the sake of dance I hope the begin to realize this.

gmyers

Record Breaker

A lot of pressure was put on I/k. Is that why they fell behind shibutani's who won world bronze in both of their debut senior season. Or who were able to put themselves in a position to benefit from p/b mistake and Grab it. Maybe they did panic too much after falling behind a team they beat in juniors after one senior season.

I also think the capability to blame injury has been used to not change the very foundations of Russian ice dance which just don't get the scores anymore to win worlds or be a consistent contender to win world medals. That the idea is that there's nothing wrong with the system its just the skaters are injured

Of course its wrong to criticize dmitri recovery time. But his coach programs by dream not IJS is a bigger problem.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
A lot of pressure was put on I/k. Is that why they fell behind shibutani's who won world bronze in both of their debut senior season. Or who were able to put themselves in a position to benefit from p/b mistake and Grab it. Maybe they did panic too much after falling behind a team they beat in juniors after one senior season.

I also think the capability to blame injury has been used to not change the very foundations of Russian ice dance which just don't get the scores anymore to win worlds or be a consistent contender to win world medals. That the idea is that there's nothing wrong with the system its just the skaters are injured

Of course its wrong to criticize dmitri recovery time. But his coach programs by dream not IJS is a bigger problem.

Zhulin must be so mad at himself.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia is down to two spots so what's the reforms that should take place? How about sending all its teams to Detroit? Or Canada? Or having people like spiliband or d/l have lessons for zhulin or kustarova?

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Russia is down to two spots so what's the reforms that should take place? How about sending all its teams to Detroit? Or Canada? Or having people like spiliband or d/l have lessons for zhulin or kustarova?

How about some posters stop panicking and let things go their way?

anyanka

Record Breaker
It might not look great today, but at the start of the 2010-14 quad D/S retired and they had to rebuild. By 2014 they had B/S on the world podium and European champions, I/K winning bronze in Sochi, and both pairs sharing in the team gold. If Russia is intent on rebuilding ice dance, they will make it happen.

noidont

Final Flight
The only realistic thing that can be done is to put I/K back together. There is not much to do other than that. It would appear that all current Russian dance pairs lack good basics.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
The only realistic thing that can be done is to put I/K back together. There is not much to do other than that. It would appear that all current Russian dance pairs lack good basics.

Oh please do not start with that crap! I/Z have been together for 11 months! They have made great stride in that time. Let's not forget that Elena and Ruslan both skated in the Olympics and Worlds. Then the split drama. These 2 have been working non stop since then. You can't say the same for S/B and M/K, who can't even match I/Z in PCS. Neither of those teams had to deal with the latter. Their performances are
More disappointing than I/Z, especially since both teams were crying that they weren't backed by the Fed and the judges! S/B Euros bronze was a gift. Both teams have been around longer yet I/Z are jumping in the World rankings. Yes, I/Z made a mistake on the FD but they are 11 months old as a partnership. With more time they will be challenging for titles.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It might not look great today, but at the start of the 2010-14 quad D/S retired and they had to rebuild. By 2014 they had B/S on the world podium and European champions, I/K winning bronze in Sochi, and both pairs sharing in the team gold. If Russia is intent on rebuilding ice dance, they will make it happen.

Its true there was a double whammy. D/s and k/n having injury retirements. K/n had every intention of continuing I think and were world bronze winners. Or were hey doing worlds in Turin as a farewell? Then khoklova teamed up with andreev for a season. That was a previous zueva experiment that didn't work out.

They will try but three spots again before 2018? Iffy.

I have to do some browsing to see how much this is being discussed!

Well, S/K are already in Detroit and it isn't helping them.

And that says a lot about s/k but not I feel Detroit