Satoko Miyahara | Page 93 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

ioanna

Record Breaker
This article says that Mie Hamada restricted Satoko's jumps to only 2 per day until October when she started doing 10 per day (please correct me if I'm wrong). So the 3Lz-3T came back to her just weeks ago.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171111-00000045-sph-spo

Satoko sounds very critical of her technical content. She mentioned the doubled 3T and level 3 on the StSq and that her score is 10 points lower than her PB. She says she's very frustrated with what she did and is looking to correct these problems in the FS.

Mie Hamada admits "I thought she wasn't going to be ready for NHK Trophy" but Satoko had a strong will to get back in shape for the Olympics. She's preparing her best programs for Japanese Nationals.

chloepoco

Medalist
I watched the program after reading what people were saying about their commentary and thought they were very fair with her as well, giving criticisms for her jumps which are well known, to praising her spins and steps etc.. I didn't think it was nearly as bad as what people were saying.

Aside from saying she’s replaceable, I think it’s in very poor taste for a commentator to say that the reason Satoko placed at Worlds is because of her federation, and to say her nice skating skills are due to her small stature—like the fact that she practices and trains really hard don’t have anything to do with it.

liv

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree that saying she's replaceable doesn't sound very nice. I guess it doesn't bother me since I've heard these sorts of comments over the years as a figure skating fan, gymnastics fan.... it happens quite often when there is a lot of talent in a country and any one at any time is replaceable by someone just itching for their chance.

firal

Record Breaker
Such a joy to see her on ice again! I can see the criticism people may have with her jumps, but to me she has a style of her own that is not easily matched by others. And I really appreciate that.

Maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but I thought she looked more mature and then I noticed her make-up style has changed- is the winged eyeliner been a recent change? Or is it just for the SP? I like it!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Such a joy to see her on ice again! I can see the criticism people may have with her jumps, but to me she has a style of her own that is not easily matched by others. And I really appreciate that.

Maybe I just haven't noticed it before, but I thought she looked more mature and then I noticed her make-up style has changed- is the winged eyeliner been a recent change? Or is it just for the SP? I like it!

I think the make-up was made to match the look of a geisha so I definitely never saw her with that kind of make-up before!

AnCho

Rinkside
Welcome back Satoko!! So glad to see her name in the list of entries for the competition. It's a great start considering she has just returned from almost a year of hiatus, with not her usual level of practices too. It's disheartening to see some ripped her first competition from a devastating injury. Perhaps I was wrong, but I always consider Skating as a sport that if you don't train for even couple of days, your performance will drop (my amateur point of view here ), but she gave a very good performance with what she has now. Now that she has gotten back to the competitions and hopefully start to get that feeling of performing in front of hundreds of audience, hopefully she will get better and better.

One thing that I really admire about her is her quiet determination. She didnt let herself be drawn in her less than optimal condition. She didn't bemoan or blame others when she did not perform as she would like. She didn't complain but she uses that as a motivation to do better. Not easy to be back in front of the crowds after such a long hiatus but she charged ahead. :luv17:

Don't listen to the naysayers because if we did, we won't be able to grow and move forward. I hope she can enjoy herself more now that she has officially made her come back.

Looking forward to her next competitions (skate America if I am not mistaken?)
:pray:
Also, quick question, does this mean her chance to go to GPF is already gone? Not tha it's a absolutely bad thing as she can focus more on national.

Let's be positive all and all the best of luck for our wonderful tiny Queen:yahoo:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I think her GPF chances are mostly gone, yes. Maybe a gold at Skate America would have been a small chance but I hope she won't push herself for a gold there. Considering coach Hamada's words that not too long ago they thought competing at NHK was going to be impossible, what she did at this conpetition was more than I expected. Even with the shaky jumps she completed 3 combinations in the FS, and one of them was almost the last element in the program. What a fighter!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Satoko's programs are so beautifully woven together. She's a choreographer's dream. I hope she gets to go to PyeongChang because people need to see her programs! My Oly Japan team is Wakaba and Satoko.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just wanted to pop up there to tell that I'm grateful that Satoko is back, standing, sound and litting up the rink again like a bright star - powerful performanes despite some jmping troubles, but no doubt she's getting there. Still, there's so much quality in her movement, sensibility to the music and emotion given out to appreciate and this kind of elevation put into the skating interpretation-wise, performance-wise should be a goal for many more skaters. She creates a moment to remember, not only a clean skate to score - she touches so many peope, because of her humble nature and deep understanding of musical influence, the feelings it carries; she is able to transform into universal character who is performing to give all, demanding nothing in exchange. For me, she returned stronger and even more humble than before - more powerful and hungry by separation from the thing she loves and is passionate about.

And she looks so much more mature now - she transformed into such beautiful, radiant lady, the dresses were amazing and today's hairstyle was the bomb! More va-va-voom volume!

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I'm quite happy with both her performances this weekend, not 100% perfect but still has room for potential. 191.80 is still an impressive combined score for ladies and for someone that's been absent from competition for almost a year. Onwards and upwards Tiny Queen and show them who's boss in SA :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i am happy with the way she skated at NHK too!! esp after that final 2A3T you can tell she is on her way (still believe she should do 2 2A3T combo until she is completely on track :slink:), my only nitpicking about the program is about her chsq, wish it had more than just a spiral (even though a good spiral is very rare these days) but thats about it, love the stsq :luv17: also her costume and esp hair!!! is great, love it, makes her look more mature and taller :love:

about EX, does anyone else feel like it could be an alternate SP cause it has all the elements required for SP :biggrin: and its gorgeous program!!! loved it! :love::luv17:anyone know who choreographed it?

Only just caught up with NHK comp.

Satoko's layback is breathtaking, probs best in the world? And like others here, I found her performances to be as gorgeous and nuanced as ever.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
ok, i think i am obsessed with her new EX :love::luv17: still no info about choreographer?

AnCho

Rinkside
O my...I have been watching her exhibition again and again. Such a wonderful program and her performance in the exhibition was delightful. It was so nice to see her perform without much pressure and she bloom even better.

At first I thought her exhibition was choreographed by Stephane Lambiel? Whoever did the choreo did a great job :love:

Her footworks, her hand movements, her posture/body language, her expression are perfection...:luv17:

She seemed so much mature now. She has always been a very beautiful lady, but there's some glow in her that was not there before. Maybe she is happy that she can finally skate again, and I am sure she is. Whatever it is, I am enjoying her return to the ice happily as well.

Good job Satton. You are one strong fighter. You set a goal and you always try your very best to achieve it, and I hope you can be happy while chasing your dreams. All the best for Skate America and Nationals for sure. Even if the 99% of the universe told you that there was only 1% chance of winning or making it to the Olympics, it does not matter, you still have that 1% possibility. The race has not ended till you crossed the finish line. But beyond all this, health and happiness are much more than everything.

Ganbatte Satton!! :hap10:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I think Satoko looks more healthy now. I can see how she's gained 8 pounds in that she looks a bit more muscular. You can also tell that she's used all this time of being banned from jumping for improving expression, performance, speed, steps and projection. And she doesn't seem to be pressured or impatient at all, she's just very happy to be back. She's in such a difficult position, to be Japan's #1 and to have a very serious injury happen in the eve of the Olympics, with so many younger ladies coming up and threatening her position while she was away. But I've never once seen her nervous or scared about all of this, she continues to be focused on her own development and nothing else. So inspiring.