Bonaly: 2 different boots | Golden Skate

Bonaly: 2 different boots

N

nthuz

I am watching old tapes-'94 World's (MK's 1st) and Surya just came on. I always thought she was brave for skating without tights (not because she was different but because of the ice-burn on bare skin when one falls), but she is wearing two different brand boots! Yes, the boot on one foot is one brand and the boot on the other is another brand!

BTW-The interview with MK was so cute.

edited to add:

Oh sheesh--I forgot, this is the Worlds where Surya wouldn't get on the podium--I didn't need to see that again.

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Tim Goebel was doing that earlier this season. I can't remember which comp it was, but the commentators said he had on two different boots.

icenut84

Final Flight
nthuz said:
I am watching old tapes-'94 World's

<snip>

Oh sheesh--I forgot, this is the Worlds where Surya wouldn't get on the podium--I didn't need to see that again.

I thought Surya came 2nd in 94, as in 93 and 95. :confused: Remember, there was that whole thing with Yuka Sato and the medal ceremony, and Surya thinking she deserved to win. She came 5th in 96, is that the one you're thinking of when she didn't make the podium?

N

nthuz

nthuz said:
I forgot, this is the Worlds where Surya wouldn't get on the podium--I didn't need to see that again.

Icenut said:
"I thought Surya came 2nd in 94, as in 93 and 95. Remember, there was that whole thing with Yuka Sato and the medal ceremony, and Surya thinking she deserved to win. She came 5th in 96, is that the one you're thinking of when she didn't make the podium?"

'94--She wouldn't physically step up onto the podium...not she didn't make it. She stood to the side till the guy giving out the medals kinda shoved her up there, then she took off her silver medal. I'm sorry to have brought it up...YUKA SATO/GOLD..just wanted to end with that.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Re: Re: Bonaly: 2 different boots

nthuz said:
Icenut said:
"I thought Surya came 2nd in 94, as in 93 and 95. Remember, there was that whole thing with Yuka Sato and the medal ceremony, and Surya thinking she deserved to win. She came 5th in 96, is that the one you're thinking of when she didn't make the podium?"

'94--She wouldn't physically step up onto the podium...not she didn't make it. She stood to the side till the guy giving out the medals kinda shoved her up there, then she took off her silver medal. I'm sorry to have brought it up...YUKA SATO/GOLD..just wanted to end with that.

IT was a good thing the competition was in Japan. Any other country, and they would've booed her. During the exhibition, she got as much cheers as Yuka did.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Re: Re: Bonaly: 2 different boots

nthuz said:
Icenut said:

'94--She wouldn't physically step up onto the podium...not she didn't make it. She stood to the side till the guy giving out the medals kinda shoved her up there, then she took off her silver medal.

Oh my gosh I had completely blocked that from my mind, but I remember very clearly how upset she was over her placement. We actually talked about it in school the next day, the teacher used it as an example of bad sportsmanship.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Surya took a lot of flack for Worlds in 1994. I thought Yuka deservadly won Worlds, however she was very conservative in her free skate. Surya had more technical content plus she had been on the fringe for a long time. Unlike other sports, figure skating doesn't really have a forum where an athlete can protest or appeal a score in a timely fashion. You're sort of stuck with what you get. Surya was just venting frustration about having skated a more difficult program and not getting the nod. She did more than Yuka.

I also think Surya faced a lot of prejudice b/c of her style of skating. You would hear commentators like Sandra Bezic remark on how Surya needed to take time off to learn how to skate. Obviously Surya knew how to skate as she had competed under the old school figures system. Surya has her own style of artistry and I think the judges didn't want to acknowledge that.

While I wasn't a fan of Surya when she was an amateur, I felt that she really blossomed as a professional skater. On that Improv on Ice thing, she did a really wonderful job to the country music she drew.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I didnt mean to imply that I disliked surya's skating at all, or that I felt she was a bad sport in general. I remember her consistantly being scored lower than I expected her to be because she refused to conform to the mold the ISU wanted in regards to programs, style and costuming. But regardless of her frustrations, not standing on the podium was not the best way to handle that situation.

That period of history in skating was very interesting, and I think it is hard for some of the newer/younger fans to fully appreciate current events because they dont have the previous context of the sport..... that is what I feel leads to the fanatical spirit of some fans, they may not have been a fan of the sport before their favorite was at top.