Ladies Prospects After Two Events | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Prospects After Two Events

Alba

Record Breaker
Maybe... but Gracie was skating at home, while Satoko will have that advantage in NHK. So I guess if Gracie wants to beat Satoko, she needs to skate better than she did at SA. How much better will probably depend on how well Satoko does...

I agree. Gracie can't make mistakes at NHK, that's for sure.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So. . . why is she called Sasha? Is it her middle name? Nickname? Is Sasha somehow a diminutive of Alexandra that does not really stand out as obvious in English?

That is correct. Sasha Cohen's formal name is Alexandria.

Also they changed the rules the age requirement is 15 for all senior events.

MalAssada

Medalist
So. . . why is she called Sasha? Is it her middle name? Nickname? Is Sasha somehow a diminutive of Alexandra that does not really stand out as obvious in English?

I often try to understand Russian nicknames, but in the end I always stick with the rule I use when learning French: Don't question it, it just happens this way.

There was actually some questions about Russian nicknames in the Stupid Questions Thread, if you go some pages back you will find it.

Alba

Record Breaker

Yes it is a dimunitive name. Sasha, Masha, Pasha, Dasha etc. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
That is correct. Sasha Cohen's formal name is Alexandria.

Also they changed the rules the age requirement is 15 for all senior events.

Does this somehow make more sense in Russian, or is it just one of those weird things where the diminutive does not make a lot of sense (Margaret to Peg in English would be an equivalent that makes no sense to me). Does "Alexandria" and "Sasha" look similar or have other similarities when spelled in Russian? Would a non Russia whose given name is "Sasha" but not "Alexandria" have their name translated any differently?

When you say "all senior" does that not include the Grand Prix? Wiki is still showing 14 as the age. . . and I was about to ask why the difference for GP and Worlds, etc.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
You know - the time you needed to read that comment on YT and post it here could have been enough to find Adelinas videos on GS. If you would have bothered to check her topic or that of the competition...

Actually, I searched for it in both Russian and English for a good five minutes or more, and found nothing. Turns out that the fancam is only called "Adelina short" (in Russian) so I don't know how you'd expect me to find that. :confused:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
When you say "all senior" does that not include the Grand Prix? Wiki is still showing 14 as the age. . . and I was about to ask why the difference for GP and Worlds, etc.

Yes that includes the Grand Prix. They had the the 14 for GP/ 15 for ISU championship rules until last season, which is why Elena Radionova, who was too young for the Olympics, could compete in the Grand Prix.

The rule change is noted here: http://static.isu.org/media/139536/1874-sp-changes-accepted-by-the-2014-isu-congress.pdf

Alba

Record Breaker
Does this somehow make more sense in Russian, or is it just one of those weird things where the diminutive does not make a lot of sense (Margaret to Peg in English would be an equivalent that makes no sense to me). Does "Alexandria" and "Sasha" look similar or have other similarities when spelled in Russian? Would a non Russia whose given name is "Sasha" but not "Alexandria" have their name translated any differently?

Yes, I think it's like Margaret to Peg or Richard to Dick in English.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Sasha, Sanya, Sashka and even Shura are all diminutive of Alexandra.
And Evgenia can be called Zhenia :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Sasha, Sanya, Sashka and even Shura are all diminutive of Alexandra.
And Evgenia can be called Zhenia :)

The Evgenia to Zhenia I did know, and with that you at least have "enia" in common. Question (I love this stuff) when pronounced in Russian properly does the initial sound of S/Sa/Sh match/somewhat match the almost "xa" sound in "Alexandra"? Any idea if the name "Sandra" also has the same roots.

And thank you all for enlighten me to the names, I like trying to understand little things like this.

Snow63

Record Breaker
The Evgenia to Zhenia I did know, and with that you at least have "enia" in common. Question (I love this stuff) when pronounced in Russian properly does the initial sound of S/Sa/Sh match/somewhat match the almost "xa" sound in "Alexandra"? Any idea if the name "Sandra" also has the same roots.

And thank you all for enlighten me to the names, I like trying to understand little things like this.

No, it doesn't. I can't explain you why, but in a lot of russian names 'sha' used to make the names sound less official. Maria - Masha, Pavel - Pasha, Alexandra - Sasha and even Yulia - Yuliasha :)
And I don't think Sandra have something to do with Alexandra, tbh. But I don't know for sure.

And one more thing, the funny thing is that russian pronunciation of 'enia' in 'Evgenia' and 'Zhenia' sounds different. So I wouldn't say that it's common part :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I met Pavel Datsyuk once and noticed his hockey said Pasha on it. I asked the trainer about it and he said good luck figuring out what those Russians are up to :laugh:

Side note... Pavel learned to skate on figure skates and continued on them up until nearly his peewee days. He withstood ridicule from other players and went on to be one of the most creative hockey players ever! He is known for his unique edge work that caught people off guard. Even his opponents love and respect him. The funny thing is it may have been a simple turn of luck. As the legend goes...the guy in charge of youth hockey dumped a bag of equipment and he by chance got the last pair of skates. The only pair of figure skates :laugh: this all happened in Eketeringburg where another local skater would eventually put on a pair of figure skates with unique tricks all her own. I may have mentioned her a time or two ;)

Snow63

Record Breaker
I met Pavel Datsyuk once and noticed his hockey said Pasha on it. I asked the trainer about it and he said good luck figuring out what those Russians are up to :laugh:

Haha :) It is SO true :laugh:

Back on topic: go Yulia:clap:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
No, it doesn't. I can't explain you why, but in a lot of russian names 'sha' used to make the names sound less official. Maria - Masha, Pavel - Pasha, Alexandra - Sasha and even Yulia - Yuliasha :)
And I don't think Sandra have something to do with Alexandra, tbh. But I don't know for sure.

And one more thing, the funny thing is that russian pronunciation of 'enia' in 'Evgenia' and 'Zhenia' sounds different. So I wouldn't say that it's common part :laugh:

LOL that is too funny that enia is different, I love it!

So would sha be sorta like the "Y" sound at the end of some names in English? Sorta like Billy vs Bill or. Jimmy vs Jim? Usually the Y endings are less formal and often seen as more youthful. Billy/Willy is less formal (usually) than Bill/Will usually. Some would say it makes the names sound more cute sounding.

And I understand not being able to explain, just thought I'd ask. I know language and names are weird. Sometimes it makes more sense in the native tongue, sometimes it does not. It still is something I like trying to understand more.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Usually it is English that gets comments like that about the stuff never making sense! I now feel closer to Russia in that our languages do whatever the hell they want with no regard to logic. Vulcans would hate us.

I'm just going to say go everyone because, well. . . I am not sure there is anyone that I would not see a positive spin on winning. I don't know who I want to win because everyone I would be happy for winning for different reasons. I feel way to nice right now.

I would still be nice to have one young woman come out of nowhere to shock us all. I hope we see at least one dark horse medal unexpectedly during the GP. Preferably because they were good and not due to meltdown.

Snow63

Record Breaker
LOL that is too funny that enia is different, I love it!

So would sha be sorta like the "Y" sound at the end of some names in English? Sorta like Billy vs Bill or. Jimmy vs Jim? Usually the Y endings are less formal and often seen as more youthful. Billy/Willy is less formal (usually) than Bill/Will usually. Some would say it makes the names sound more cute sounding.

And I understand not being able to explain, just thought I'd ask. I know language and names are weird. Sometimes it makes more sense in the native tongue, sometimes it does not. It still is something I like trying to understand more.

I think you can say that. Especially about the cute part :) And of course you can ask anything, and I'll try to explain as best as I can (although my vocabulary is kinda limited) :)

pista04

On the Ice
Anyone have any great updates now that Sotnikova has pulled out of Rostelecom? I love following this thread and think that now that the field that is left to get 2nd and 3rd are those that have bombed their other events, what does this mean? Below Pogo at Rostelecom, that leaves 2nd and 3rd to Cain, Nagasu, Wang and Helgessin, 2 of which have bombed elsewhere and are out of GPF running, but getting a medal would throw the rankings into a haywire, no?

I almost expect the final position to come down to Gold and Wagner....If Wagner gets 3rd below Lip and Radionova at TEB, that will leave her with a 3rd and 2nd. Gold would need to get atleast 2nd to tie (1st to win), but how hard will that be against Sot (if she competes), Miyahara, Murakami, and Edmunds?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My thoughts (which I put on the Russian ladies thread):

COR: Anna P. should win Rostelecom Cup easily and punch her ticket. I don't really see any surprises the other competitors in this competition just don't have the tech content. Even if one of the others somehow wins, their poor showings elsewhere will leave them short in points. The only one I could see maybe making it with a win here is Soyoun Park and that's only with some major stars aligning in TEB and NHK (i.e. Akiko Suzuki in 2009-2010 -- see here: http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2009/gpsladies.htm)

TEB: Elena Radionova should make it with a podium finish and even should she bomb to 4th, her gold at SA will likely save her. Yulia Lipnitskaya and Ashley Wagner can secure spots by finishing 2nd. All three could make it with Yulia/Ashley going 1+2 and Elena 3rd. If one of Yulia/Ashley end up 3rd, they will likely end up in a tiebreaker situation if a bronze medalist from an earlier GP gets silver.

NHK: We have a stacked field of bronze GP medalists (Gold, Miyahara, Murakami) and Edmunds, who finished 4th at COC. Basically, the NHK winner (unless its Adelina -- if she competes) will get in including Polina. The silver medalist (if its one of the previous bronze GP medalists) could get in if they win a tiebreaker with another silver/bronze person (i.e. if Yulia/Ashley finishes 3rd at TEB). If we have a Yulia/Ashley/Elena or Ashley/Yulia/Elena situation in TEB, then only the winner of NHK will get in.

I think the field will likely
Anna P (win both events -30)
Liza (gold/silver -28)
Elena (win both events 30, gold/silver 28 or gold/bronze 26)
Yulia (gold/silver 28 or 2 silvers 26 or silver bronze/24)
Ashley (2 silvers 26 or silver/bronze 24)
Whoever wins at NHK of (Miyahara/Gold/Murakami (26) or Polina (24) OR if Adelina wins NHK the silver medalist of either Miyahara/Gold/Murakami (24)