Axel, Lutz, Flip, Loop, Salchow, Toe loop--Who was the best at each triple? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Axel, Lutz, Flip, Loop, Salchow, Toe loop--Who was the best at each triple?

adamlondon

On the Ice
I too would remove Kwan from the lutz top three, in fact, she'd be struggling to be top ten considering she semi flutzes.. so just off the tip of my tongue most japanese ladies, tonya harding, julia sebestyen, most russians like irina and maria have better lutzes than hers. I have to say though her flow out has improved.

Hard to compare each jump but I'd say Irina was a good all round jumper when they come off, midori had excellent everything with her jumps except the wrap of the free leg, Julia Sebestyen also has great technique, and some of the japanese girls too like Suguri and Arakawa.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Just got through watching T Harding's 1994 program from nats and have to concur that her jumps were some of the best in the business. When she does her flip she enters one direction and flows out of the jump in the exact opposite direction. This would indicate full rotation and excellent control as this is the way most jumps should look when executed correctly.

Pity her husband did the whack job on Nancy's knee, Tonya could have actally won that competition outright with nothing else in the "pipeline" :sheesh:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think Yuka Sato has an exceptionally beautiful loop jump. Her edges are so deep and strong that her loop just seems to pop into the air with no effort at all. It looks so secure and strong. Her Salchow is very nice too.

Kristi Yamaguchi's Lutzes may have been small, but they were always very good and very consistent. The consistency, to me, suggests that she had good technique.

Oksana Baiul also used to have a beautifully high Lutz jump (back in the day).

Spinner

Rinkside
If you want height for Axels, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone better than Matt Kessinger. He won US Jr. Nat's in '95 or '97 (can't remember). I used to skate with him and always was awed at the height he got. For distance, none were better than Zaggy! He just SOARED across the ice. I'd say most of his jumps are perfect examples of 'textbook'.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Ilia Kulik´s all triple jumps are a thing of great athletism and beauty! They are totally effortless and definetely come out of nowhere... Everything is of text-book quality. Great height, beautiful airposition and soft catlike landing with a flow. Kudriatchev is a great coach and Ilia a very talented pupil!

Marjaana

Gipson

Rinkside
hydroradi said:
Here are a couple more video clips of Tonya doing a "textbook perfect" triple axel from '91 Worlds and '91 Skate America.

Notice the height and distance she gets across the ice, especially in the second Skate America clip.

FYI, You'll need DIVX to view the clips. Geocities is sometimes tempermental with links. If a direct link doesn't open the video, try right clicking, selecting properties, and then copying and pasting the links into your browser.

http://www.geocities.com/hydroradi2/tonyahardingworlds3a.avi

http://www.geocities.com/hydroradi2/Tonyahardingskateam91.avi
Wow! I've never seen that Skate America performance before. Is there a video somewhere of the entire performance?

sk8m8

Final Flight
How silly....

... of us here at Goldenskate to omit the wonderful subject of a featured article a few months ago....Jumpin Joe Savobcik. The man had an incredible 3 axle and continues to perform it today at nearly age 40. It has that "hang time" quality that you look for in the jump, distance, speed, position, and complete rotation in the air.

hydroradi

Rinkside
Does anyone know of a website that gives free space where I can upload a 6 mb file?

I have Tonya's '91 skate america performance, but can't find a place to upload it.

sk8m8

Final Flight
hydro.... if you go to www.freeservers.com you will find a variety of options and pay level from "free" to "resonable if you are a webmaster".... I think the most space for the money is the 9.95 a month where you get to pick the name of the host doman... "www.iceskatingclips.com" for example.

Otherwise, try typing in the words "free+Web+space (or +hosting)" and see what comes up, I know yahoo offers some free webspace, but I don't know what the conditions of service would be.

Good luck.
Mark