2014 Skate Canada GALA / Exhibition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada GALA / Exhibition

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I'm wondering if it's possible to pull something like Anna did in real competition in front of judges. I don't see why not. It's not too hard and not take much time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maybe. Pechalat and Bourzat had a shirt that turned into a straight jacket in their Madness program. However the hat / wig would probably be adjudged a prop when used that way.

But wasn't it a great exhibition :love: ?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Maybe. Pechalat and Bourzat had a shirt that turned into a straight jacket in their Madness program. However the hat / wig would probably be adjudged a prop when used that way.

Best so far this season, IMO.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
"Hence" is not the correct word. :no:
Seems pretty obvious that the invites to Amodio and Firus came at the expense of Carriere and Menshov. If you're saying that Carriere and Menshov declined invitations to skate in the gala, where did you get that information?

Understandable to me that Skate Canada would choose Firus as one of its own.

Amodio did not blow me away. I have nothing against him in general, but would have preferred Carriere at this particular gala.

I'm a huge Menshov fan, but I have no problem with Amodio being there. He is a fabulous performer, most people would agree. Menshov would have probably done the same EX he's done several times already. If anyone shouldn't have been there it's Firus, but I understand why they wanted to have a Canadian man. It's a shame Elladj and Kevin weren't there as they both would have been much more entertaining.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I may be dosed rotten with the cold at the moment, but I am seriously getting worried about myself.

Firstly, I saw a figure standing in the dark waiting to get called for her Gala routine, and my first thought was "Akiko...?" :)

It was Anna Pogorilaya!!! :eek:

Then the music started. And there I was watching a pretty wee Russian girl skating, but all I could think about was an Austrian bloke in a dress!!! :eek:

And then Anna goes and compounds the matter by doing a costume change... into a dress practically IDENTICAL to Conchita's!

I absolutely loved Anna's Gala routine!

Elena Radionova may have had TWO costume changes during her Skate America Gala routine, but Anna Pogorilaya definitely won the battle of the costume changes.

When watching the first part of Anna's routine, it was obvious that there was going to be a costume change. And no matter how hard I tried to spot it, I couldn't find the join! And then when she did do the change, it was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it job. She was so quick and efficient! So smooth.

Contrast that to Elena last week. Smooth is not the word that comes to mind.

Firstly, her hood falls down as soon as she leaves the boards, revealing that there is going to be a drastic costume change. The best bit was that she didn't even realise it had fallen! It really made you smile when she still went to pull the hood down at the time of the first costume change, even though it had been down for ages!

Elena's second costume change totally took me by surprise.

With a bit of practice, and a few more performances, Elena's Gala routine is going to be quite impressive by the end of the season.

But, it's a pity it didn't go smoothly the first time we saw it. Because, as with every routine after it's first performance, it has now lost its element of surprise.

So, Anna Pogorilaya takes the early lead in the "Battle Of The Galas" between the Russian Ladies skaters. Looking forward to seeing what Julia Lipnitskaya gives us next week, and Adelina Sotnikova the following week! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Clearly, there is going to be a heck of a Christmas/New Year gala in Moscow this winter!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had to laugh at all of the 80s metal they used in the finale and then I felt really old that most of the skaters weren't even born yet when most of these songs were popular. (Maybe Meagan Duhamel was a baby at the time, LOL) but most of these skaters were born in the 90s!

firal

Record Breaker
Anna P's number was really great. I could not take my eyes of her dress and her hair! I watched the morning rehearsals for the gala as well, so I was spoiled with most of the numbers, but of course she did not do her costume change during rehearsal so that was quite a nice surprise.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Impressed by Anna's Gala. Even though I am not a fan of the song, but consider Russia's stance on Gay rights, and how controversial the song/Conshita is received in Russia. I am surprised she chose it and celebrate it. I wonder how aware she is of the song background history. And yes the costume change was clever, even if it is a bit inspector gadgety but it has poignant significance and goes with the song intention really well.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Impressed by Anna's Gala. Even though I am not a fan of the song, but consider Russia's stance on Gay rights, and how controversial the song/Conshita is received in Russia. I am surprised she chose it and celebrate it. I wonder how aware she is of the song background history. And yes the costume change was clever, even if it is a bit inspector gadgety but it has poignant significance and goes with the song intention really well.

I think it could be some Federation politics behind that. In fact Russian popular vote placed Conchita on the first (or second) place. What the Russians think should not be confused with what politicians say - I guess, same as elsewhere.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think it could be some Federation politics behind that. In fact Russian popular vote placed Conchita on the first (or second) place. What the Russians think should not be confused with what politicians say - I guess, same as elsewhere.

Part of the political and social dynamics is what it intrigued me about Anna's program. It is rather brave of her and her team to put this out at age 16 and actually the whole concept of the program of a man turn into a women performing to Conshita to a song like 'Rise like the Phoenix' certainly takes it beyond a purely exhibitionist program but referencing a controversial and very current - relevant topic about the state of her nation and gender politics. With art, you can get away with it without being too confrontational. And it is only with her age, sporting success, blooming beauty, she can get away with it more than someone older and wiser 'suppose to know better' and have more to risk. It is very clever beyond the costume changes, and even a little bit daring only the young and the restless are capable of.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... If anyone shouldn't have been there it's Firus, but I understand why they wanted to have a Canadian man. It's a shame Elladj and Kevin weren't there as they both would have been much more entertaining.

I'll take Liam's elegance any day. And I swooned at his exhibition's moment of chivalry, when he bestowed a lucky lady in the front row with the real flowers that were his prop, along with a gallant peck on her cheek.
http://instagram.com/p/u_-cSjGZkA/ (posted Nov 4 by @lexiejovanovski)​

It was a pleasure to to see Firus giving/receiving love to/from the home crowd in his native province of British Columbia. Icing on the cake after his personal bests across the board in Kelowna. :yes:

ETA, Firus is showcased in the opening footage of an official Kelowna highlights reel produced by Skate Canada. :) Someone in the federation must like him.

... Wigs and bandanas for the 80's rock/metal fnale was GENIUS! :-D

The skaters seemed to enjoy the schtick :) and that's the important thing, but it was excessively schtick-y for my taste (at least as I peered into the tiny streaming window on my screen :laugh:).

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hi golden,

Why would that be obvious? I've never heard of a fourth place finisher not skating unless he/she declined--which usually happens when an athlete is saving his/her body but, of course, can happen for other reasons. (Rushing off to another competition/personal commitments/etc.) Do you have a reason to believe Carriere wasn't invited? The fifth spot, of course, is different as local athletes are often invited).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hi golden,

Why would that be obvious? I've never heard of a fourth place finisher not skating unless he/she declined--which usually happens when an athlete is saving his/her body but, of course, can happen for other reasons. (Rushing off to another competition/personal commitments/etc.) Do you have a reason to believe Carriere wasn't invited? The fifth spot, of course, is different as local athletes are often invited).

Below is the logic that leads to my belief (unless/until proven otherwise) that Carriere and Menshov were not invited to the gala.

We know that five skaters from the men's discipline skated in the SCI gala. So I assume that the LOC planned all along to allot five of the gala slots to programs from men.
We know that the top three men + Liam Firus of Canada skated in the gala. So I assume that the LOC planned all along to invite the top three men + one Canadian man.

One slot for a man remained. And we know that Amodio, who placed sixth, skated in the gala.
So ... if in fact the LOC's procedure had been to go by the placement order from the competition, it would mean that both Carriere and Menshov declined invitations to skate in the gala.

The possibility of one man (Carriere) declining a gala invitation does not necessarily strain credulity.
But two men (Carriere and Menshov) declining gala invitations? That scenario seems mighty fishy to me. YMMV.​

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just watched Anna....I STILL don't know how she changed so fast!!!!! Actually, I sold my ticket and went home a day early since the gala was the only thing on Sunday....normally, Galas don't do much for me except at Colorado Springs but Anna's was great.
Had a nice drive home on a sunny day through the wine country...PaulE waited and got a rainy day....;)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Skate Canada gala being broadcast right now on TSN5 (though being broadcast on TSN1/main TSN network in some areas of Canada). :)