Some final thoughts about Kelowna and skatin' | Golden Skate

Some final thoughts about Kelowna and skatin'

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(I write these reports up for a few friends and so I know what to expect if I go back...please feel free to ignore)
Final thoughts on Kelowna and the Skatin’
Kelowna is a beautiful tourist and retirees’ town of 118,000 80 miles north of the border on the east bank of Okanagan lake. This is the banana belt of interior BC. There are way over 100 wineries within an easy drive of Kelowna. There is a very nice lakefront park area where the arena is. There are two main restaurants for fans to eat near the arena, but unfortunately, one lost its liquor license Halloween night, where pub crawling in costume seems to be huge, and it is was shut down for five days. I saw very few homeless/street people in Kelowna and on my drive 80 miles to and from the border. I did not see one 5-10 acre lot filled with junk cars and boats, which is all too common in WA State. Much of Kelowna’s main drag is a typical 6 mile long strip mall.
Canadian drivers are much better than US drivers, IMHO. Aggressive driving was a rarity. Billboards are allowed in this scenic area, unfortunately, but in the Okanagan Valley at least, highway info signs are small, few in number, and there are little if any warnings that main hwy. intersections are coming up. Signs indicating view points along Rt 97 are non-existent so you have to act quick if you want to stop admire the valley. Gas is about $5 a gallon and the paper and local TV news keep close track on which liter is a few pennies cheaper here or there. Many Canadian stop lights have flashing warning lights 100-200 meters before the intersection letting one know they have to be prepared to stop as the light is changing. This is a great feature. The cross walks have count down timers, another good idea. HOV lanes on boulevards in Kelowna are usually the right hand lane.
The arena is a typical 5,000 seat hockey affair, with a good pitch, a bad sound system, and seats that were hard as a rock. Even the padded ones. Unlike the London Ontario hockey arena where worlds was held , there were lots of bathroom stalls for men but the arena chose to not convert any of them to female areas for the event. A hamburger was over $10 Canadian, with nowhere to sit or even standing tables . On Friday, the main parking lot was full by noon so the attendant was parking people anywhere he could. Other non-arena lots filled up also. Parking was a potpourri of ways of paying, lot owners, costs, etc.
The crowds for the main events looked to be about 2,000 souls or so. There seems to be a certain percentage of people from Canada at Canadian events that I have been to that are figure skating fans, and a percentage who are fans of Canadian figure skaters only, or anything Canadian. Not being critical here, just my personal observation. There was something that did bother me about the event. There were a number of videos on the Jumbotron (which was an old piece of junk and I am being kind) that were clearly not ISU videos that only featured Canadian skaters, past and present. I asked a number of long term well known fans if I was alone in my feelings that these were inappropriate at an ISU event and I was not alone. I cannot remember having only USA videos at ISU events in the US…..maybe the nationalism overload was getting to me….
Highs for me, in no particular order.
1. Stephen Carriere…you rock
2. Mura, you were awesome.
3. Rika and Satoko, cant wait to see you two progress.
4. Alene Leonova, your short was wonderful…..
5. Courtney Hicks. I will be seeing you again at nats and want to see you do well.
6. Pogo! Max! Sui and Han! (and seeing Shen and Zhao)
7. Friendly Canadian people, seeing all my skating buddies that showed up
Not so highs.
1. Adam, I have watched your practices….you are awesome. Good luck with the nerves.
2. Madison and Zach, you are always wonderful to watch…hope the injuries go away and you do great at nats….pain sucks
3. German dance costumes? 4 nipples? Really?
4. Odd hamburgers. I ate burgers at the arena, and at two eateries. The Canadians use a very fine grind and the burgers look like some sort of untextured grey matter…almost tofu like. They weren’t especially bad tasting…but all three only rated about 3 on the 10 point burger scale.

5. The number of clean programs in ladies and Mens :eek:hwell: The number of Sasha C./ MK type spirals

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Chris, thanks for telling us about your trip. It is easy to imagine I have actually been there after reading you report :)

Any more details about the skating?

Who was better than you expected? Who was really fast? All the details that aren't obvious to us homebodies?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Chris! Glad you got to attend SC. See you in Greensboro!

rvi5

On the Ice
I find most arena food sucks. When I attended SCI and Nationals at the Hershey Centre, I found the pizza slices were like dry cardboard. The only reasonable quality/priced food item was the sandwiches from Subway. They also had a slightly cheaper price for bottled soft drinks. The soft drink vending machines also had reasonable prices on the first day, but I suspect the concession operators eventually caught-on. On following days, all the vending machines suddenly had "out of order" signs. Let me guess, they were all suddenly hit with an EMP burst during the night. Subway at the SCI event did have their service problems. At the onset of lunch at noon, they were out of buns (huh? Did everyone have subs for breakfast?). The vendor suggested returning 1/2 hour later when they should have more delivered. When we returned, they were out of meats except for two types (roast beef and club turkey). Either a herd of carnivorous people ordered the meat without buns during the 1/2 hour, or the staff failed to request more meat delivered with the buns. Fortunately at Nationals the following year, they had their act together.

I am guessing your burger was an inexpensive low quality patty, sold at expensive prices to maximize profits. Did it at least come with fries? A quality 1/2 pound burger at a table service roadhouse style restaurant like Kelsey's, will cost about $12 with fries included.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thanks CoyoteChris. That was interesting. I guess they didn't serve beavertail - deep fried dough with sugar and cinnamon - amazing! ( I think it is called elephant ears in Romania and Croatia) High profit margin but delish. Of course won't help you land an axel or quad toe :)

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the report! I love to read your impressions of the venue, skaters, etc! I do hope you have time for some more details...like the ones dorispulaski mentioned :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Fries were two bucks extra. I agree with your assessment of arena food....I have many stories but my favorite is going to Worlds LA and they closed the McDonalds down inside the arena about 1 pm even though they had dozens of people in line as they didn't want to pay the help overtime....The Covent Market in London Ontario CA for worlds had wonderful food and they are right next door...but they too closed early......
I find most arena food sucks. When I attended SCI and Nationals at the Hershey Centre, I found the pizza slices were like dry cardboard. The only reasonable quality/priced food item was the sandwiches from Subway. They also had a slightly cheaper price for bottled soft drinks. The soft drink vending machines also had reasonable prices on the first day, but I suspect the concession operators eventually caught-on. On following days, all the vending machines suddenly had "out of order" signs. Let me guess, they were all suddenly hit with an EMP burst during the night. Subway at the SCI event did have their service problems. At the onset of lunch at noon, they were out of buns (huh? Did everyone have subs for breakfast?). The vendor suggested returning 1/2 hour later when they should have more delivered. When we returned, they were out of meats except for two types (roast beef and club turkey). Either a herd of carnivorous people ordered the meat without buns during the 1/2 hour, or the staff failed to request more meat delivered with the buns. Fortunately at Nationals the following year, they had their act together.

I am guessing your burger was an inexpensive low quality patty, sold at expensive prices to maximize profits. Did it at least come with fries? A quality 1/2 pound burger at a table service roadhouse style restaurant like Kelsey's, will cost about $12 with fries included.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I will spill my guts....here is more....(other than the ones I mentioned)
On Canadian TV, V and M were doing commentary and they were good at it, especially V. They would not deny that they are seriously thinking of coming back. Some commentators also said there were injury issues with Zach and Madison and when they were well all they needed was more content and they would be fine.....

Piper and Paul are comers and are doing very well and look good. (disclaimer: after listening to David Santee and his sidekick over the ear bug explain in real time during dancing what the tech committee and judges were REALLY looking for, I just watch the performances and enjoy them...there is no way I am going to pick up on what they are really judging)

I did enjoy Alaine and Veronik...they are on their way to bigger things I think....
Satoko skates like a bat out of Hell...we shall see if she keeps her speed up after the growth spurt....but you can see the potential there....she should take lessons from Tara Lipinski's Oly short program on how to grab the crowd if you look like a little girl.

As I said, Stephen C. really surprised me. .2 away from a medal!
I am not a big Mens fan, but Mura was very impressive....still, something is still missing from skating and that is the artistry and connection with the crowd. Alena Leonova reached out and grabbed us in the short. Remember how Alissa C. would grab us with her artistry and expression? Caro? MK? Many skaters need to learn how to grab the crowd like Jason Brown and Mr. Hamilton.

I still love events but mostly cause of the people, old and new, I meet. I miss many of my old favorite skaters that have moved on. I am waiting for skaters to come up and grab me like they did. I will see some more friends at Sectionals and of course many at Nats, the best event out there....skating isn't easy...if it were, they would call it golf (sorry Todd E) but it is even harder to compete in the points race and to have artistry and expression.....

And, yes, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat is still a big draw....the drama is still there and in an arena it is so much thicker than in front of a telly....

(Biggest awe shoot moment...I should have asked Pogo for a pic with me! ;)

Chris, thanks for telling us about your trip. It is easy to imagine I have actually been there after reading you report :)

Any more details about the skating?

Who was better than you expected? Who was really fast? All the details that aren't obvious to us homebodies?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Satoko skates like a bat out of Hell...we shall see if she keeps her speed up after the growth spurt....but you can see the potential there....she should take lessons from Tara Lipinski's Oly short program on how to grab the crowd if you look like a little girl.

Interesting to hear that she was quite fast! But she did get a standing ovation in her FS, no...so wouldn't you consider that grabbing the crowd?

chloepoco

Medalist
Interesting to hear that she was quite fast! But she did get a standing ovation in her FS, no...so wouldn't you consider that grabbing the crowd?

I'm interested in Coyote Chris' thoughts as well. It seems out of all the ladies, Satoko has the most opposing views--she's seen as either mature and artistic or juniorish and unpolished. I see her as the former, but I've never seen her live.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes and no. I was the first to stand for her in my seat at the opposite end of the arena from the K and C. We all wanted her to do well, and she did. But once she figures out ( and admittedly this is harder for a person from the Japanese culture) how to look at the crowd, smile, emote, and connect, she will bring the house down. I wont name names cause I really don't want to be negative, but we all know of a Japanese skater(s) from the not so distant past that never learned that the emotion doesn't start at the end of the program, (and I LIKED this skater) and we all know of some Japanese lady skaters that learned to emote very well indeed. I am going to watch the skating that hopefully my DVR recorded and watch it again and see if my opinion has changed as far as her facial expression. I also have to wonder if emotion works well with the judges. Acting can be hard. Ice dancers have to be excellent actors to sell their programs. Mirai has gone from that emotion that was so big during her 2010 Nats free dance to her last skate that had the look of dread all over her face....I want her to smile again so bad as I think it hurts her not to.
(I think Satoko looks fast when she isn't jumping in part due to her size)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Interesting choices. I know of no fan I associated with that didn't like her live. But live is way different....you watch her for a long time over a few days at practice...see her relate to her coach, watch her try and try....and that is when we got hooked. By the time of the competition, we were on her side....but she becomes more of a person to us at the rink and less than a two dimensional figure on a screen....now I really have to go and watch her on TV!
I'm interested in Coyote Chris' thoughts as well. It seems out of all the ladies, Satoko has the most opposing views--she's seen as either mature and artistic or juniorish and unpolished. I see her as the former, but I've never seen her live.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have had that sort of food at the Reno Air Races....its fun...once....:laugh:

Thanks CoyoteChris. That was interesting. I guess they didn't serve beavertail - deep fried dough with sugar and cinnamon - amazing! ( I think it is called elephant ears in Romania and Croatia) High profit margin but delish. Of course won't help you land an axel or quad toe :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK! Barb and I had a big fire in the fire place, a dog in our laps, and watched the NBC skating sans commercials, but unfortunately with Tara and Johnny.
1. I liked Max's performance even more seeing it again on the Telly. Go Max go!
2. Satoko had more facial expression on the telly than I could see at the end of the arena...she can use higher jumps for sure but I still like her. And I like this program.
3. Pogo has such a beautiful smile in the Kiss and Cry and she needs to put those facial expressions into her performance and learn to not look down....but I still love her....(By the way, many skaters in pairs and dance have contorted facial expressions during certain elements that are not attractive. One is one in tune to them sitting in the first row during practice. ) But they are not distracting during the actual performance
4. Mr. Weir likes Mura's landings and doesn't think much of his artistry. I am the opposite only cause the landings look kinda different but I think he has the capacity to be artistic and the judges gave Mura good PCSs. Mura could still sell the performance with his body and face more like Javi does but he still won fair and square.
5. Tara and Johnny seem more twerpish to me.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We shall have fun there for sure. I now find out that more people from here and other folk I know will be going....PaulE has the right Idea with us all wearing custom Yellow Goldenskate hats, I think....

Thanks, Chris! Glad you got to attend SC. See you in Greensboro!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
We shall have fun! BTW, I went back and watched Pogo and Satako again and looked at the marks....was there anyone as crazy as me that watched Pogo's 3T in slow motion/stop action to see if it was indeed a UR? Its hard to tell exactly when the skate hits the ice but I would have to say it looked good to me....also, J. Weir said that Pogo exceeded the allowed number of jumping passes, but the judges didn't think so....5 passes with triples, two with DAs, 7 triples overall....is that the legal limit?
See you in Greensboro, Chris! Thanks for the great reports!