Jenny Kirk
Elvis Stojko
Emmanuel Sandhu
Irina Slutskaya
Maria B.
Elena Liashenko
Beatrisa Liang
Sarah Hughes
Miki (only a little bit, she's growing on me)

Lucy25

Final Flight
I totally do not get Elena Liashenko. I can not see anything remotely attractive about her skating at all.

I also agree with not getting Kostner, but she's still young, so maybe it will change.

I know many people really like Nikodinov, but I just don't see it.

I really don't get Plushenko, either. That choppy footwork makes many people go "wow!", but I don't like it at all. I also see no artistry in him at all, although I appreciate his incredible jumping skills.

I don't get ice dancing as a whole. To me it's like flipping through the channels on tv, coming across ballroom dancing, watching it for two minutes, then keep on changing the channel.

I also don't get Takeshi Honda and Elena Sokolova.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Short list for me (unless you count most of the ice dancers, nothing against them, but I don't "get" most of what I see during that discipline)

Maria B, Victoria V., Katarina Witt, Matt Savoie, Klimkin, Urmanov...42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
boggartlaura, Try catching S&Z in COI this year. I saw them at World's last year and they were A M A Z I N G. They are another team that is definitely better live.

mariana

On the Ice
Goebel
Kwan
Weir
Volchkova
Abt
Kulik
Mcdonough
van der Perren
Arakawa
Kostner
Grishuk/Platov
Navka/Kostomarov
Totmianina/Marinin
Droviazco/Vanagas
Belbin/Agosto
Can't remember anymore, but i'll come back later and complete this list

:p

Lipinskifan19

Rinkside
oksana bauil. I saw her Olympic programs from rinkside, and was totally underwhelmed. not to mean but I just don't understand what was so great about that long program. I actually think nancy should have won, although I wasn't crazy about her program either.

soogar

Record Breaker
Oksana is an amazing skater live. She's so fast and smooth and really reaches out to an audience. Nancy Kerrigan doesn't look like much live and she is really klutzy on the ice.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Skater's I don't get

Men:
Urmanov
Goebel
Plushenko
Stojko
Honda

Ladies:
Butyrskaya
Lipinski
Liashenko
Volchkova
Chouinard
Kerrigan
Robinson
Hughes
Sokolova
Kostner (has great potential but right now is overmarked and overhyped)
Kirk (I like her, but something is just missing)
Ando (but I think she has the potential to change my mind)
Onda

A skater who used to be in this category but no longer is: Irina Slutskaya. I thought she was bad until I saw her live.

Last edited:

brenlynn

On the Ice
Langlois/Archetto - I really don't get what everyone sees in them. I like Anabelle, and I can tolerate watching her. But PATRICE IS HORRID! He doesn't show any emotion at all, if anything else he always looks pissed off.

Nicole Bobek - She was okay when she was in her prime (mid-90s) But then after, and especially now in her professional days.

Stefan Lindemann - I didn't understand all the fuss around him at Worlds this year. Personally, I thought his skating was sloppy and lacked polish.

Matthew Savoie - I think he got lucky at Nationals this year. I don't really think he'll be on the podium - well maybe pewter, if he's lucky - anytime again.

Carolina Kostner - Just doesn't do it for me for all the reasons mentioned by other posters already.

Elena Liashenko - I just don't know :confused:

Maria Petrova / Alexei Tikhonov - These guys are a big yawn fest for me. As most pairs these days are, for some reason I am more interested in watching the development of the lower ranked team than the battle at the top, it's gotten quite predictable. I just don't see anyone pushing one another. There's S&Z and then there's everyone else, IMO anyways. (and I am not a S&Z fan by any means)

Elena Grushina / Ruslan Goncharov & Galit Chait / Sergei Sakhnovski - are both just very blah to me.

Others:
Yags
Stojko (more so now than ever)
BONALY
anissina and pezeriat
woetzel and stuer

so many others... lol :laugh:

boggartlaura

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
boggartlaura, Try catching S&Z in COI this year. I saw them at World's last year and they were A M A Z I N G. They are another team that is definitely better live.
I've actually seen them live twice. I don't dislike them or anything, but I think they're overhyped.

Rixis

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan..I've never understood what was so appealing about her, and I've seen her live twice. I think that she has gotten way too much acclaim. It's like a very popular song that you might like at first but as you keep hearing it over and over you are just sick of it. And now whenever I see her the first thing I think is.."bland."

Good post, Doris. For me, I get all the skaters. Where I have a problem with some skaters is in their lack of basic skills and maturity. Some do not show any style whatsoever. Others overplay their style. And for me, the style is what separates them from the pack.

In the case of Johnny Weir, and I have been writing about his talents since 2001 Nats, I still do not see a personal style of his own. Yes, the basics are the best in the business, the jumps are perfect, the spins unique, and that flow is second to none, but when will I see the Johnny style?

As for Plush, he too, has everythiong but it is his style that I am not enamored with. Much too much mugging the audience and judges depending on exhibition or competition. I'd like to see him cool down his style. I know he can.

The above are just two examples of how I get two excellent skaters but awaiting the sincere personal style of both.

An so, if that's all there is, then let's keep on skating.

Joe

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I don't get this topic!

I don't get Laurent Tobel. Was that a serious attempt at skating? Was it comedy? Was it like how the French love Jerry Lewis and this was the ice equivalent? Thank God there is Brian Joubert. There is hope for the French!

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
AP - she just never looks like she wants to be out ther

Kostner - I get that she's fast and has great edges, but her posture, lack of extension, and lack of feeling make her tough for me to watch.

Plush - I get the jumps, but will never understand his presentation scores.

Bebe - Joe keeps predicting 2006 Oly champ for her, but she just seems so unrefined to me.

Maria B. - Stiff knees drove me NUTS.

Savoie - Boring, IMO.

Enero

On the Ice
Boorne/Kraatz - Always seemed more like show skaters than ice dancers

Sale/Peletier - Never thought they were as competitive as the other teams and then they were just blah

Mike Weiss - His programs are horrible, and I've never seen any real "potential" in him

Tim Goebel - He bores me to tears. And his posture is horrible. eek

Klimova/Ponemorenko - Just never saw anything spectacular about them

Jenny Kirk - Looks great on ice, presents herself well, but I can't seem to connect with her skating

Michelle Kwan - I liked some of her earlier programs, but now she bores me to tears

Yagudin - Never saw what all the hype was about, plus it didn't help that he was a bit arrogant and whiney

Elvis Stojko - I love what he brought to men's skating. He really raised the bar, but I always found his skating unengaging.

Angela Nikodinov - She has great elements, but she just doesn't seem to project very well. Hence I can't enjoy her skating.

Vash01

Medalist
Not in any particular order:

S&P
Liashenko
Joubert
B&K
Candeloro
Hughes
Kostner (somewhat- she is still developing)
Kirk

Vash

lulu

Final Flight
Actually there are not too many skaters i don't "get" The moment I say I don't like a skater I find performance of theirs that I like and end up eating crow:D

Here's my list...(mostly it just shows how bad my taste in fs is)

Paul Wylie: Hate to do this. Great skills and I did love the knee slide in Miss Saigon-but other then that. Meh

Todd Eldridge: Another great skater, but never drew me in at all.

Jen Robinson: Has given a lot to Candian skating-does absolutely nothing for me.

Angela N: Talented-but I agree with Dick(!)-is my refrigerator break

Elstova & Bushkov: Loved 1998 SP. Other then that-never captured me at all.

S&P: Talented yes. Great lifts too. But they do absolutely nothing for me.

Not sure where to put them...

Elena Liashenko: What a dilemma for me-I always go back and forth on her. Ask me this same question in a week and I'll have her at the top of my favorites list. ;)

Yagudin: Great jumps, lots of passion. Truly sorry that he got injured. Do not get the hype about the footwork at all.

S&Z: their story is amazing and they seem to have a special ability to reach an audience. But IMHO somewhat overhyped. I actually like Pang & Tong better.

Likes them but...

T&D: I wouldn't disagree with anyone who said they were the greatest ice dance team ever-although my vote would go to K&P and I :love: Bolero. But some of their other stuff:sheesh: Didn't care for the Planets much-although Jane levitating was pretty cool.
G&G: Another one I'm torn at. I like G&G-their Moonlight Sonata is a gem that gets better after watching it a few times. And I think they were probably -in terms of basic skills and "textbook" skating the best in pairs. But I disagree with the people who say that G&G were SO much better than any pair before or since-and that everyone else is 3rd rate in comparision. IMHO it is sad that they are remembered more for their story than their great skating skills. (So I guess it is not really G&G that I don't "get")
N&K: Navka is the DIVA of ice dance-and a darn good ice dancer at that. Such great basics, I really wish they would do a more complex, serious program. Their exhibitions are cool though.

Out of woods...
P&T: Before this year-BORING. Now-I enjoy them.
T&M: See above.
Pang & Tong: 2002-:sheesh: 2003 and on-I'm really starting to enjoy them.

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
For me its not about not "getting" a skater, but I occasionally have trouble "getting" a program. Sometimes ice dancing can be real bizzare and modern, and it doesnt turn me off... but the dancer in me is always looking to understand the story they are telling and I get frustrated when I cant follow it.

I will admit that I struggle to get men's singles as a genre... I've followed skating since I was little and very few men have compelled me. I'm usually a little wierded out by it.

Lesyc

Spectator
Men:
Goebel
Kulik
Joubert

Ladies:
Baiul
Hughes
Fontana
Suguri
Volchkova