2014 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Short Program 11/14 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Short Program 11/14

adelia

Record Breaker
Time for that moustache to go. Russia 1, 2 and 3. I think it will stay this way after the FS.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
That is something I recently thought about. Has anyone ever skated to drums-only music in competition? I can't remember any.

I might be wrong but I think K/O did in their 1999 free dance although that might have featured other African instruments as well. I can only really remember the drum beat.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I liked S/K's program. But everything seemed just slightly "off"--the lift, the throw, even the footwork (I think he put his free foot down at one point, where he wasn't supposed to?)

I'm kicking myself for not sticking with my original prediction of an all-Russian podium. I should never edit my predictions...
I should've stuck with my original prediction of Tarasova/Morozov in second... Was a bit too swayed by Denney/Frazier's clean skates at SA.

(On the other hand, I probably should've changed my prediction about Park in the ladies discipline)

gold12345

Medalist
69.09. For some reason, I thought it'd be much higher, even with the iffy lift.

Lift mistakes can be quite costly, especially if they lose levels, which Stolbova & Klimov did (it was only Lvl 1). They can do a better 3F throw than that, too, I think. Tarasova & Morozov were no slouches today either, so having Stolbova & Klimov ahead by just a bit looks right to me.

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"?! :confused: When I saw Ksenia and Fedor's costumes, I thought they were going to be skating to "The Jetsons"!!! :laugh:

Absolutely brilliant skate! They should be leading by a country mile, if not two!

That was so better than their routines last season.

After seeing that, I can't wait until the GP Final!

CaroLiza_fan

Oh, that's it. I couldn't figure out what her jumpsuit reminds me of, and it's the Jetsons. It gives off a very futuristic vibe, but other than that, their skate is mesmerizing and powerful.

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
I quite enjoyed the pairs competition. 3 very different programs from the top 3.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Lift mistakes can be quite costly, especially if they lose levels, which Stoblova & Klimov did (it was only Lvl 1). Tarasova & Morozov were no slouches today, so having Stolbova & Klimov ahead by just a bit is right to me.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I can see it. I guess I overestimated their pcs, given their status and all.

Lota

Record Breaker
Wow, Tarasova/Morozov were great! I was really impressed with them in SC (it was my first time seeing them), but here... just wow :love:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really like S/K's program. Love their skating to drums!

I actually was going to do a SP to "Night Fight" from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. So glad to see S/K tackle that -- that step sequence was sloppy but by the end of the season it'll be amazing, I'm sure. Between that and Addam's Family, I really appreciate them trying unconventional music.

Shaking my head at the Mortal Kombat symbol emblazoned on Fedor though. :laugh: And Ksenia's outfit looked like some weird space age thing. Otherwise solid skate. T/M stole the SP for me though... lovely program!

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Wow, Tarasova/Morozov were great! I was really impressed with them in SC (it was my first time seeing them), but here... just wow :love:

Same! It's their first full senior season and they're already so impressive, I hope they can skate their LP well though, at SC they were a bit off but they have so much potential

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 69.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV (RUS) - 67.28 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV (RUS) - 58.34 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) - 54.06 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
5. Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU (USA) - 50.87 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT (GER) - 48.69 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA (JPN) - 47.68 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Dee Dee LENG / Simon SHNAPIR (USA) - 45.42 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
What a great afternoon to showcase the strength and diversity of Russian Pairs Skating. I really like A/R, they have got real pizazz and sell the heck out of their programme, judging by his reaction I think he expected to higher score. Still doesn't mean I have forgotten M/R. It would be great to see them get on the podium but I expect D/F to challenge them tomorrow.

A really strong performance for T/M to be a very close second. I loved all their technical elements but I found the music a bit overpowering towards the end. They have adjusted to Seniors so well and look right at home in this environment. They had a slightly disappointing free in Canada, hopefully they do better tomorrow.

It's amazing to see the level that S/K now skate at, moving to Mozer has brought them to a whole new level and they have continued this season where they left off last season. The steps at the end didn't quite work with the music. It looked she fell out of the lift and only got a level 1 and that hurt there mark somewhat. The costumes could do with some reworking, hers looks like Romulan(Star Trek) or Dynasty inspired and his definitely is Mortal Kombat inspired.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm happy for S&K. Tarasova&Morozov will become a strong couple, I like them a lot.
With Robin's help they will really become a danger sooner than I thought.

Not surpirsed with the 3rd young russian couple. They are talented and they did very well at volvo cup.
Good start.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Michal Brezina's programs had lots of drums with little music, same as S/K's program I think.
Looks like S/K have always looking for something different. I like the program but not her costume. As a pair, they have strong single skills. They seemed to run out of steam and sync towards the end.
I am not sure if it is the choreography. Except for the jumps and side-by-side spins, they are skating to different choreography?

That is something I recently thought about. Has anyone ever skated to drums-only music in competition? I can't remember any.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Loved the top three performances!!
Morozov looks much better without moustache. Stolbova and Tarasova are amazing as usual. And my latest favorite team A&R have done very good job.

yqs100

On the Ice
Dont really like S/K's program.... they hit the big elements in the first half, which i believe is not a good balance........

kind of boring with the drums going through the whole program...

plus,,,, I wonder who is the designer of the costume.........looks so cartoon