2014 Cup of China Mens Free Skate 11/08 | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Mens Free Skate 11/08

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I give about 77 for TES and 75 for PCS (8.00/7.00/6.50/8.75/7.50). Anywho...

I also loved Richard's free skate; such a shame about the mistakes in the later portion. I, too, hope to see him develop more and challenge for the top spot.

Kovtun...I don't understand the free skate. I get what it's "supposed" to be but I'm not feeling it, especially the costume. Is that supposed to invoke thoughts of a spider web?

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Yeah, just imagine the shock, poor guy. I'm not a fan but I was very sad for him and the other skaters involve in this event.

Not only that, but Yuzuru was skating around with a big bandage on his head, while re-configuring his jump layout (gesturing, pointing, and counting with his fingers). Apparently the other skaters thought he was delusional.

peg

Medalist
I'm actually really impresses with how well Nam did under the circumstances. Hanyu isn't just a competitor, he's a training mate. Plus, they share a coach, and I kind of suspect Orser was preoccupied with Hanyu and probably was less able to give Nam his attention. Yet Nam went out there and aside from popping one jump, skated a clean program. That kid must have nerves of steel.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm actually really impresses with how well Nam did under the circumstances. Hanyu isn't just a competitor, he's a training mate. Plus, they share a coach, and I kind of suspect Orser was preoccupied with Hanyu and probably was less able to give Nam his attention. Yet Nam went out there and aside from popping one jump, skated a clean program. That kid must have nerves of steel.

I agree. I was impressed with his composure. :clap:

Viet pride! (Now if only people could say his last name correctly...)

peg

Medalist
Haha he probably thinks it's a losing proposition. That "Ng" sound is sort of tough....Still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJehmaPnxgY

And

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-right-way-to-pronounce-the-name-Nguyen

:)

It's not uncommon for people from various countries to "Anglicize" the pronunciation of their names when they move to North America. truth be told, I don't pronounce either my first or last name the way they're pronounced in my native tongue. Heck, I don't even use the proper female version of my last name because it was too confusing for people.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's not uncommon for people from various countries to "Anglicize" the pronunciation of their names when they move to North America. truth be told, I don't pronounce either my first or last name the way they're pronounced in my native tongue. Heck, I don't even use the proper female version of my last name because it was too confusing for people.

Yep, my married name is pronounced the butchered American way rather than the French way. :)

Still, it's just such a common Vietnamese name (40 percent of all Vietnamese people have that surname), it be nice for people to learn it rather than force all those people to say it differently to make it easier, lol.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nguyen is a very common Vietnamese name in Montreal. I am so used to it that it never occurred to me it would be a problem for many people. I sort of assumed everybody would say new-yen.

Years back I read Nam interviewed that his father taught him about mind power which he used in his success since a little kid so I've always known he has mental strength which is more than composure. I have no doubt he will succeed in whatever he puts his mind into.

Both Nam and D Ten struck me as very mature for their age so I never lost faith about them even as they struggled with their growth spurts. (Remember the year Denis was falling multiple times in each program?) Denis' success did not suprise me. Neither will Nam's.

peg

Medalist
Nguyen is a very common Vietnamese name in Montreal. I am so used to it that it never occurred to me it would be a problem for many people. I sort of assumed everybody would say new-yen.
Is that how people say it in Montreal? New-yen? It seemed it me like Nam said it more like new-wynn or new-wen. Mrs P says it should be Wynn. No wonder we're all confused :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is that how people say it in Montreal? New-yen? It seemed it me like Nam said it more like new-wynn or new-wen. Mrs P says it should be Wynn. No wonder we're all confused :)

To be fair there are slight differences in dialect---so that might account for the different pronunciation.

peg

Medalist
To be fair there are slight differences in dialect---so that might account for the different pronunciation.

Between that and the North American butchering, huh?

I figure if I say it the way Nam says it, I should be ok.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Actually, it does sound like Wen or something between w and y sound. I may just be so used to it that I don't think of the alphabets or Anglocized spelling. :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Haha he probably thinks it's a losing proposition. That "Ng" sound is sort of tough....Still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJehmaPnxgY

And

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-right-way-to-pronounce-the-name-Nguyen

:)

I used to have an acquaintance whose last name was Ng. Just those two letters. It actually was quite easy to pronounce. :yes:

(My acquaintance lived in Hong Kong. I don't know where he originally was from.

Anyway, I don't claim to know how to pronounce Nguyen. :no: Definitely seems a lot harder to make Nguyen sound authentic than Ng.)

KansaiPJ

On the Ice

Well said. I agree. Nam deserves a lot of credit!

fairly4

Medalist
sorry this is late, my apologies.

but when we saw the men's warmup and collide. our hearts drop.
so kudo's to both Han & Yuzuru for trying.

Our hearts drop everytime Han skated and poped hoping he didn't crack a rib or wose,a and hour hearts fell everytime he fell praying he wouldn't hurt himself more. we were just happy to see them finish their programs. congrats to all