2014 Cup of China GALA / Exhibition | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China GALA / Exhibition

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was actually the other commentator who kept saying it, Mark Hanretty. He tweeted that his wife had actually "complained" about it and that he hopes to get a chance to commentate again and come up with other catchphrases :laugh:

:laugh:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think this ex of Yulia is the best ex she ever had. There is actually some stylish choreography here, unlike her previous ones. But I still cannot imagine her doing sassy or funny type of programs that require a more outgoing personality.
I also love Polina's ex; it showed she can do fun programs too.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

My goodness!

I don't know what you are replying to, Liam, as your post had already been deleted by the time I re-visited this thread and saw this conversation. But, I am so sorry that I offended you.

I will try to clear things up as best I can.

Firstly, I am not anywhere near 70. I am 29 (although, I do tend to be very old-fashioned). And, I am male.

As MidnightSkater has explained, here in the UK, you are legally considered a child until you are 18. In Scotland, you can vote and get married at 16. But for us in other parts of the UK, it's 17. You cannot learn to drive until you are 17. The age of consent is 16 in Great Britain, but here in Northern Ireland it is 17. And you can't buy alcohol until you're 18.

In fact, the only new thing you are able to do across the UK at 16 is play the National Lottery!

Personally, I do not like the term "young woman" when referring to girls in their mid teens. To me, that sounds creepy. For me, you have to be at least 17, or preferrably 18, to be classed as a "young woman".

Julia is not a young woman yet. To me, everything about her is so child-like. And I am not just talking about how she looks. The way she reacts to things is more like that of a young girl than that of a "young woman".

By the very fact that you were commenting in this thread, I am assuming that you were complaining about what I said about Julia's Gala routine. And, looking back at the way I worded it, I can see why you might complain. (Hey, it was written quickly in between routines, so I couldn't elaborate as much as I would have liked!)

It was not my intention to imply that I like watching young skaters playing children. Far from it. That is the very reason why I do not watch Junior competitions - I do not like watching children.

The reason I was complaining is that I do not like it when children grow up too quickly, and try to be "grown-ups" before they are ready.

As MidnightSkater says, I prefer it when routines are age-appropriate. And to me, that routine was too "grown-up" for Julia.

How dare you call another person creepy for saying that a 16 year old girl is a child. How rude.
Where I come from you can still refer to a person as a child until the age of 18.
Good for you if you had a certain amount of independence at that age but not everyone is the same.
CaroLiza_fan was just trying to say it's okay to be age appropriate at times. Nothing else.

Thank you for defending me, MidnightSkater. This just shows the problems of being on an international forum. So many cultural differences!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
What if it was Nam Nguyen who pulled this stunt? He's 16, right? I highly doubt if he was called for bad sportsmanship had he done this that people would be on here saying "But he's just a little child! He's just a little boy!" Uh, doubtful. And this is Nam's first season on the GP, this is Julia's THIRD season. She knows (or should know) better.

Julia is my fave, so I'm not a 'hater'. But crap, my coach or parents would never let me get away with a stunt like that. If I did, either or both would scratch me from my next game or event to teach me a lesson in sportsmanship.

Who I feel sorry for is Liza Tuk. This was a HUGE win for her. She beat the current national champion, European champion, an Oly gold medalist, and pretty much the face of ladies' skating. How insulting that she can't have a picture of her standing atop the podium with JuLip in second place. It is a slap in the face to her. And plus it's also a slap in the face to fans who paid money to see JuLip. I always loved the medal ceremonies because the medalists would do a victory lap or two by the sidelines and the spectators could go down and reach their hands out and get a high-five from the skaters, some who might be your absolute fave and just slapping high-fives with your role model could make your entire year. She failed Liza and the fans. I hope she is docked her earnings, since the medal didn't mean anything or so little to her that she didn't figure to pick it up.

Didn't mean to offend, but I'm curious if there are women that are defending her because of her 'child'ness? Most women I know would cringe if they were called a little child or little girl when they were sixteen. SIXTEEN!! That's a junior in HS. I was taking college credits at Harvard at 16 and living on my own while I was up there. I couldn't be a sore loser and expect people to say that I'm just a child, give him a break. It does not compute. Even if she was 14 I'd expect her to behave herself. She can scream, cry, cuss her competitors, break a lamp, but save it until you get back to your room. In public it's okay to be visibly upset, but that's called life. You take your lumps and let your competitor bask in the glory. THIS TIME. There's always next time to prove yourself. Oh well. I didn't mean to insult you CaroLiza, and I apologize for that.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I haven't been watching any exhibitions this season, so why not, this is as good a place to start as any!

I liked Liza's exhibition but I had the same thought as CaroLiza_fan. "Wait, that's not flesh-coloured fabric... it's genuinely see-through!" That being said... Misha Ge went out there in a mesh shirt. :slink: In light of that, I should probably leave Liza's outfits alone. :laugh:

I liked Yulia's exhibition, though I can see others' problem with it. It's not because she's sixteen; it's because she looks so young. I can see why she doesn't want to be treated like a kid forever.

Peng/Zhang has a similar problem. In the distant shots, they look good together--nice lines and unison, seem to move at one. I guess they look a bit creepy on the close-ups since she looks young. But she's improving a lot, and I found their EX quite expressive.

For all the talk of Soyoun Park being like Yuna... I actually think Zijun Li reminds me more of Yuna. Her arms, her skating, even the way she goes into her jumps... Very graceful skate here as always. Regardless of whether the pretty packaging will help her, at least she doesn't seem pageanty or fake to me. (Now what does she have to do to break though?)

I/Z: Loved them. Lena seemed genuinely happy at the end--didn't seem like the kiss, or her ruffling Ruslan's hair, was choreographed.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Julia did not attend the medal ceremony????? TBH I did not follow the ladies competition so I have not been in the ladies threads at all.
Can some kind soul enlighten me.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
IMO, best GALA out of all 3 GP events. All Dancers skated very beautiful Ex's. C/L skated much better than in their FD. Fast and agressive. Yulia was smiling and her interpritation was just great. :) Liza, Richard, Kanako :clap:
And Vera and Andrey skated beautifully, really didn't expect that from them here :laugh:

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Kanako - I enjoyed this exhibition, think it is her best work yet. Okay I know I am going to get into SOOOOO MUCH trouble, but am I the only one who sees a little bit Yuna in her recent presentation progression??! The formal Hello Kitty skater has turned into one of the best Asian ladies with added maturity and grrrrrr... in her skating. I'd say she got the right mark for her SP but because the first 2 were really over marked for putting out similar tech content, that put her at impossible odds, that she seem relatively under marked. She should be the silver medallist for me here at CoC.

I thought it was just in my head the Yuna resemblance, but now that somebodyelse said it out loud, I know it wasn't just me!Certain moves of her (especially in the short) made me think of Yuna.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Elena Illynik looks like a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON this season after skating- carefree, happy. I think the partnership with Ruslan is a very good thing if only because of that.

I am seriously wondering if Bazarova needs to see a sports psychologist if she hasn't already. She seems not to have issues with the triple toe in low pressure situations. It's only in competition where she is falling and mucking them up... exhibitions, test skates, etc they are landed fine.

junma

Spectator
Do you know how to watch the 2014 figure skating cup of china opening ceremony on 7th Nov.?
I missed the ceremony cause I was working on that day.
And the opening ceremony wasn’t on other TVs’ schedules.
Could you please send me the link or the video?
Thank you so much!
Shibutani are beautiful :love: