What's the worst thing about living where you do? | Golden Skate

What's the worst thing about living where you do?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
something I said in response to someone on another thread got me thinking

what's the worst/hardest part of living where you do?

For me it's definately the long winters with almost no sun here in Alaska... it's cold and the days just drag by... skating and internet are the only things that keep me sane... and that then turns me into someone with no life, but that's beside the point... I didn't have much of one to begin with! :laugh: I'm so glad it's finally turning into spring here... winter this year was almost too much for me...

so is Alaska the only crappy place to live? :laugh:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
There are no fabulously sexy, hot European male figure skaters currently living in Omaha, Nebraska. :cry:

Oh, yeah, and the winters are cold and the summers are humid. But I could live with that if the aforementioned men were here. :D

Laura :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
There are no fabulously sexy, hot European male figure skaters currently living in Omaha, Nebraska. :cry:

Oh, yeah, and the winters are cold and the summers are humid. But I could live with that if the aforementioned men were here. :D

Laura :)

:laugh: too funny!!!

Becca84

Rinkside
Well, land wise I don't have much to complain about in Central FL (except maybe the heat/humidity, but I've been here all my life so I'm used to it :laugh: ).

But people wise it can be a bit annoying here - I respect the elderly, but I don't appreciate the local retirees driving skills; I know tourists are important to our local economy, but once again I don't like their driving skills or the way they use our roads/parks/waterways like trash cans; & basically it's just becoming too crowded here (especially on the roads)!

& I guess it would be too much to also mention that I don't like race, bike, or springbreak weeks too... But otherwise, I love it here :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about living in San Diego! After living for 9 years in earthquake and smogland (aka Los Angeles) and growing up in snow-filled, cloudy Boston, I appreciate San Diego every single day I wake up and see the sun shining--which is about 350 days a year. :love:

Oh, it's getting a bit too congested traffic-wise--that's my one complaint.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
For me, living in central San Joaquin Valley, it would definitely be the very hot, dry summers, with temps often in the 100s for weeks as a time. On the upside, the winters are very mild, except for Jan. and Feb. which has very dense tule fog.......42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, besides the rain three hundred days a year, I would say the high crime. Surrey has the highest car theft record in North America! Not to mention the traffic congestion. Commuting in and around Vancouver everyday is a nightmare.

"Give me land, lot's of land with starry skies above. Don't fence me in."

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about living in San Diego!
My sentiments exactly! The weather is great, the ocean is near, and three ice rinks to choose from.:D

A little traffic congestion never hurt anyone.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've discovered there is no perfect place on earth. BUT, I don't like tornadoes, wind, dirt blowing, drought, lots of things like that. One thing that gets to me. We moved here from Wichita because it is a small town. Everyone else just wants to make it bigger. Of course, I would like it better if there were some eligible males in my age bracket that I liked. (and really liked me :laugh: ) I don't like it when it gets too hot or cold or too wet or dry. I mostly don't like the snakes but theres no where else without them except Ireland that I know of. There was one in my yard last summer and I had to drive to my mailbox for weeks.

Lanie

On the Ice
Simi Valley

So. boring! Of course, this is only if you're a high-schooler here in Simi Valley.. "land of geriatrics" as my friend Kyle likes to say.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The worst thing IMO is because of low population we don't get a lot of things like SOI and COI...we just got our first Starbucks in the past year.

OTOH we have one of the lowest crime rates and cost of living in the country. I hardly ever lock my doors. Another nice thing about our little town is that everybody knows everybody else. Five people I graduated from HS with are all running for mayor this year.

Grgranny I'm with you as far as snakes go. I hate them! Find a place that's guaranteed snake free and I'm there.

guinevere

Final Flight
The gloom of winter, which usually last from about November 1 until July 4 - grey drizzle but NO SNOW :mad:!

But the climate here has been slowly changing - the last few years has seen some really warm sunny days in early spring, followed by a return to the crud before summer. Everyone knows that it will rain here in June through July 4 - summer starts July 5! :laugh:

In terms of my immediate neighborhood, there is a high school on my block, & I am really sick of seeing teenagers driving SUVs while talking on their cell phones (especially when they whip around the corner and almost paste me to the sidewalk, never tossing a glance back!)

guinevere

bronxgirl

Medalist
That I live over 100 miles from my home, the greatest city in the world! (IMHO and Rudy Guiliani's)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the winter, I wish the wind blew less where we live in Ct. 40 knots is quite common. The windows get coated with salt from the ocean. There's no room for the porch furniture in doors, so the wind blows it back and forth across the front porch, which makes a heck of a racket. Andy you can't put up a Christmas wreath or roping, because they just blow off the house. You have to put the decorations inside or between the storm door and the front door. The shingles used to peel off the roof all winter. But come summer, I will be very, very grateful for that same wind, which is somewhat lighter than in winter. It is always cool and comforatable in the summer and the sailing is good!

Really, my only wish is that my youngest son lived closer to us.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Austin is great!!!
- Wonderfull parks and recreation facilities
- Fabulous night life (the live music capital of the world)
- Wherever you are, you are 10 mins from lake/water recreation
- Small town atmosphere, big city perks
- Interesting mix of liberal/conservatives
- We celebrate Eeyore's birthday

But...
- No good mexican food (I'm spoiled from living in san antonio)
- Only one major highway for a city with a pop of 1 mil
- Giant rift in SES (lots of dot com millionares, and lots of working poor)
- No matter where you live, your neighbors are college kids
- Crappy school systems

MOONPIE48

Rinkside
live in Brooklyn, work in NYC - midtown/times square. the worst is the TOURISTS! So many of them are so rude and with such a sense of entitlement. The absolute worst is the way the STOP.
They get off an escalator - and they stop - never mind that there are dozens of people behind them. Same thing in the subway, they get off and stop right in front of the doors. I know it takes a moment to figure out which way to go, but STEP AWAY FROM THE DOOR. Same thing with revolving doors and elevators. THERE ARE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU DUDES (AND DUDETTES) - KEEP MOVING.
As if that isn't bad enough they have the NERVE to say NY'ers are the rude ones because we unavoidably bumb into them when they STOP - it's hard to get past someone stopped at the top of an escalator or blocking the subway exit. I have been late for work because i couldn't get off a dang subway!

The best is the food, the theatre, the museums (which many NYers don't have the time or $$ for but it's nice to know they are there) but the VERY BEST is Coney Island and the Coney Island Cyclones - a minor league baseball team whose statium is right on the Boardwalk. Tickets are around 5-7$, nothing like sitting in a stadium feeling the cool ocean breeze on a hot day. And young men are so cute in baseball uniforms.
peace
moonpie

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Since I live in the same metro area as Princess Leppard, I have a different viewpoint as a "displaced southerner":

What's the worst thing about living here? Everything. However there is no other option at the present time and all my children are around me, so I'll have to win the lottery or something to move back to my grassroots where we all belong.