Fumie Suguri retires | Golden Skate

Fumie Suguri retires

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Site is in Japanese:

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2044495/full/

After finishing 8th in her regional championships (top 5 advance; she was only 2.5 points off), she announced her retirement. She will be studying under Lori Nichol, to become a choreographer.

Best wishes to Fumie!

Crystallize

On the Ice
It's the end of an era. LOL.

No, seriously, I wish Fumie well. I hope she is at least content with all that she has accomplished, and I really look forward to seeing her work with the next generation of skaters! :yes:

samson

Medalist
Glad to hear she's pursuing a career that will allow her to stay on the ice. She's clearly SO passionate about skating - I'll be excited to see what she does as a choreographer.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Poor Fumie.... I figured I'd be collecting my social security check and she'd still be out there trying to make the Olympics. Poor poor Fumie....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Good for her. Took her a little while longer to accept the writing on the wall, but glad she's staying with the sport in some capacity.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Good for her. Took her a little while longer to accept the writing on the wall, but glad she's staying with the sport in some capacity.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Toni!

Fumie is clearly still a very beautiful skater, as her appearance at the Oberstdorf Gala in 2012 showed us. But there is just too much skating talent in Japan for her to do well in competitions.

All the best for the future, Fumie, and I hope the new direction in your skating career is successful.

(I also hope you keep doing exhibitions, as you still have it!;) :biggrin: )

CaroLiza_fan

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I think everyone's seen this coming for a while now, but regardless, to me Fumie has always come across as passionate, tenacious, & maybe a little bit stubborn, all of which I can appreciate in a skater :biggrin: I hope we see good things from her as a choreographer. Has she ever put together her own program or anyone else's before?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I didn't think I would live long enough to see this moment :laugh: Just joking, I really admired her for fighting and competing during this incredible amount of years, I truly wish her all the best! :agree:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Best of luck to Fumie! I always enjoyed her skating and she was right in the mix of things back in the day.
Her last few seasons have been tough and I am happy for her that she has found a new passion and
will still be involved in the sport that she loves.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I got shocked by the thread title - seems to me she loves skating and competing too much to just quit... but becoming a choreographer makes a lot of sense. And Lori Nichol will help her? Well done Fumie and good luck.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
All the best to Fumie! Even though her last number of seasons weren't ideal I do admire her for trying to stay competitive and of course we can't forget her World medals and success in the prime of her career. So glad she's sticking with the sport in some capacity. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'll be looking forward to her work, didn't think I'd see her retire but I will support her as she moves onto a new chapter of her life, all the best

thom

Rinkside
She's been a treasure to the sport and I look upon her career with nothing but joy! And I'm glad she's under the wing of Lori Nichol to continue to bring her obvious joy for what she does into the future.