American Idol 4/27 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/27

glow_girl85

Rinkside
Lotta said:
Death threats against John???!! Jesus Christ, if they want him to go they should vote for their favorites as many times as they want. And I don't think it's appropriate that they wanna kill him because they don't like him. That's going too far. If they don't like him, FINE. That's okay, but jeez man. Death threats...

Oh and if one's complaining why Jasmine's line is busy, blame it on me. :p
yeah, exactly. people should stop complaining and just VOTE for the favorites to stay in!

They all sucked. I've always liked Gloria Estefan but I have never appreciated the truly awesome talent she has until I heard these six fail to get even close to what Gloria can do. I don't mean imitation; I mean the Latin feel. Ricky Martin beats the AI six by miles.

So in order of appearance

Fantasia - Get On Your Feet. I didn't mind the "We love you, Jennifer!" shout-outs. Fantasia seems very spontaneous and even though I'm sure she thought of it before she went onstage, it seemed sincere to me. BTW, I didn't mind the shot of her kid because it was part of "Fantasia's Friends and Family," which they do for everybody. To me, that's okay. What they did last week was not because it specifically identified her daughter in the green room, which interrupted the flow of the song, and bringing the kid out on the stage--puke. Anyway, re the singing ITA with Randy and Simon: Great performance--she really owns the stage--but she COULD have really down something great with this song and didn't. Nobody, including Fantasia, had the *kick* in her voice that Latin music needs. I'm no expert, these are just my descriptions. But great Latin singers have a *punch* or percussion in their voice combined with great power singing. Several of the singers had some great moves and a few nice moments, but did anybody want to jump up and dance like you do when you hear Gloria, even on the slow temp songs? I know I sure didn't.

George - All I Want to Do. Oh, dear. Just when I got to liking George he started going downhill. Square peg in round hole performance.

LaToya - Rhythm Is Going to Get You. I think I figured out my problem with LaToya. She looked gorgeous. She's very professional. She never makes mistakes. But she holds back. She's too contrived. Although I agree with Simon that she needed to do this song, I don't think it was enough, at least for me. I felt she was too concerned with singing on key, looking good, and doing the carefully choreographed dance moves when what I think she needed to do was kick her own butt. You know, LET IT GO! Actually, I think LaToya will probably win, but IMO she needs surgery to take the stick out. I know I'm being hard on her, but I just feel she has never taken a risk. She has also never moved me.

Jasmine - Here We Are. Kind of like George. During the first few bars I thought, "Yess! She's going to do it!" Then, blah. A prettier square peg in a round hole.

John - Music of My Heart. When Seacrest said John's mother went to the producer's to complain about the DJ who said, "Don't worry about the red haired guy on AI. During their first concert, somebody will take him out," I thought, "These people are really sheltered." Shock jocks all over the country say that kind of thing about anybody and everybody in the public eye every single day. They are entertaining their audience, which wants to hear this kind of humor. The other thing is, "John, Welcome to the world of the limelight." Seacrest said on "Access Hollywood" "These kids don't have thick skins yet." Well, IMO, part of the learning process of this kind of competition is thickening up that skin. I wouldn't be surprised if DJ's all over the country have said cruel things about ALL the AI contestants. This one happened at a time when John was part of a controversy and his mother heard it. This may sound cruel, but to be on a professional singing competition with very high stakes and have your mother complain to producers that a DJ made a "death threat" against her son--if I were John, I would have said, "Mom, leave it alone." I mean, it's like a kid in high school having his mother go to the principal complaining that her son is being picked on.

Enough about that. About John's performance: Very sweet that he dedicated it to his grandmother. Was very glad to hear Simon compliment John on how he's handled the criticism. The singing: Abysmal again, though I'm sure his grandmother loved it and at least he has that.

Diana - Turn the Beat Around. I'm definitely in the minority. I don't think Diana did anything exceptional with this song or special compared to her other performances. Gloria was telling her in rehearsal to really hit the consonants in the lyrics as if her voice were the percussion. GREAT ADVICE! But Diana didn't do it. She was still lyrical, but just high energy lyrical. She's naturally a very bouncy high energy girl, so I think that's what made her performance attractive to a lot of people. But I just saw cheerleader doing a little shimmy and shake. Nothing Latin about it.

I'd vote them all off based on these performances, lol. Gosh, I don't know. There are so many variables going on with the controversy. I'd like to see John put out of his misery--I mean, I think this is all too much for him--but I heard on "Entertainment Tonight" that the Johniacs voted in full force. Fantasia could be in danger. Other than that, hell if I know.
Rgirl

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Don't know if mentioned earlier

Elton John says he feel the black divas are showing proof of racist voting.
? Coincidence this year or some truth? I think its possible.

Just a whitegirl with a soulful question, lol.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgirl totally agree with your assessment about the death threats. If AI fans were intent on taking someone out Simon would have been long gone or the Clay Army would have kidnapped Reuben.... does anyone know if AI has a runner up clause like Miss America? If so Reuben should still watch his back.:D :D :D

Although I am not a big Fantasia fan I think a very telling moment about her personality was last week when they announced that her group was the bottom three. Latoya and Jennifer looked shocked while Fantasia was LHAO. I liked that for some reason.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
The show was a snoozer. I agree with Twinnie in that until I saw these 6 mangle her songs, I never really appreciated just HOW good Gloria Estefan is at what she does, although I've always really enjoyed the music.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agreed w/ Simon's comments on John's behavior/attitude & I think Simon was being sincere. Of course I also agreed w/ Simon's comments about John & Latin music going together like chocolate ice cream & onions...

ITA... and even John agreed with his ice cream/onion comment :laugh:

I realize that "in the business" there are going to be loud mouths who say certain things... however there were several other instances and for Ryan Seacrest to be upset about the whole thing really makes you wonder if something more serious was being looked at. For me a lot of reading into things... but at the same time the kid is 16 and it's not really his fault for being there. He showed up for the audition in New York... and Simon rallied behind him all the way to the top 12 where he left him out in the open for all the pot shots America and Randy and Paula could throw (and Simon threw some himself)... and John took it all in stride. MAYBE he did tell his mom to back off, but she's a mom and he's the baby of the family... how many mom's wouldn't be worried if it was the first time?? Again I have watched several shows where this was discussed so *shrugs* I have no clue of the whole ordeal... but he can go to his prom now so it's all good! :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Tonie, I thought John was good in the Devo number...it worked for him...who knew???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that puts light on everything... like I said I was just going by mostly what the producer of the show and Ryan were saying... maybe it was a publicity ploy... but even if it was a joke it was kinda weird... but whatever... ;) good to know he's happy! :)

guinevere

Final Flight
I think it's really interesting that John thinks that raising the age limit woudl be a good idea (and I liked that he said 'either raise it or don't mention age as a problem!').

guinevere

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he was the only one who didn't get a weird/upset look on his face whenever age was mentioned

with the workload they all have I'd see no problem with them going from age 18 and out of high school as the min. age... school work plus the rehearsals makes for a whole lot of added stress, I'm sure...

John really is a class act...