Mysteries! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mysteries!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I was introduced to Evanovich by my road-trip buddy, who enjoys them on tape. The reader is spot-on with the accents, and does a great job. Those of you who were looking for humorous mysteries may enjoy the work of several cozy writers whose work makes me giggle: Rhys Bowen's Duchess Georgiana series, Kaitlynn Dunnett's Scottish mysteries (they take place in Moosetookalook, Maine), and Rett McPherson's Tori O'Shea mysteries. There are others, but their names escape me right now.
Has anyone else found that you gravitate toward mysteries in which the protagonist has a hobby in common with you? The Dunnett books feature Scottish culture (and Highland Games) - I love the Games. Tori O'Shea is a genealogist - one of my hobbies. There's another series featuring a woman who has a resale business and is a bit of a vintage hoarder. I can relate.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Shirley Rousseau Murphy, Rita Lakin, Margaret Maron, & many, many more. "

MW, I too liked most of Sue Grafton's novels. I've noticed that the last couple of books have been different, where I'm thinking the difference is that the characters, Henry & his sibs are not written about as much as before. I love when she did write about them. Kinsey's personal likes & dislikes are not a great part of the story either. I wonder what Sue will do when she finishes "Z." Have you heard anything??

Mary Higgins Clark has always been a favorite.

I'm glad to know that you like Janet Evanovich, I have not read any of her novels.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Hi Dee! I love Evanovich. I'm wondering if Sue Grafton may be nearing the end of her writing career? She must be in her 70's? And I think Mary Higgins Clark is done. I know she is older than I am & I'm as old as Father Time!!! I like Bowen's Duchess series too, Beaton's Agatha Raisin & just picked up 2 of Dunnett's Scottish series for the first time. Looking forward to reading them. There are so many good cozies out there. I'm a big fan of Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey the cat series, too!

LRK

Record Breaker
I think Sue Grafton wants to get to Z...

How long has she been at it? I seem to recall seeing those books around libraries for ever - certainly during my internships in my youth...

(checks)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/sue-grafton/

Good Heavens! The first book in the series appears to be... from 1982!

Reminds me of that joke...:

A journalist at the old man's 100th birthday:
- So, how did you manage it?
- Well, I did it at last - but it took a heck of a long time!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Just finished a hilarious book! The Little Old Lady strikes again, the follow-up to The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules. I was snorting out loud, disturbing the cats and getting my husband laughing. Those over 50 will particularly appreciate it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the cozy mystery category, M C Beaton' s Highland mysteries, featuring Hamish Macbeth are a lot of fun. I have been tearing through them the last couple weeks.

LRK

Record Breaker
In the cozy mystery category, M C Beaton' s Highland mysteries, featuring Hamish Macbeth are a lot of fun. I have been tearing through them the last couple weeks.

She's also written Regencies as Marion Chesney, many of which have recentl-ishly been republished under the M C Beaton name, and I've purchased several, but haven't got to them yet.

Scrufflet

Final Flight

Years ago, there was a tv show with Robert Carlyle as Hamish. It was brilliant!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I read the House For the Season series from Beaton's Regencies, and it, too, was amusing, which is why I started the Highland series.

LRK

Record Breaker
I read the House For the Season series from Beaton's Regencies, and it, too, was amusing, which is why I started the Highland series.

Good to hear that you liked them, I'm even more hopeful of liking them myself (when I get to them:)) now. :thumbsup:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They are Day at the Beach type confections; but there are days when that is exactly what I want.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Robert Carlyle did you say?! :jaw: Why did they never show it here - why?!

Sorry, no idea! I'm in Canada and my husband is a Scot so we latched on to this one pretty quickly. There is a fascinating character called TV John and the actor playing him was fantastic. It really is worth it to track this series down although I don't know how you would do that in Sweden. I hope you can find it.
Speaking of which, I am still hooked on Swedish (and Scandinavian) Noire!

LRK

Record Breaker
@Doris - I expected something like that: I tend to liken them to pastries - not perhaps the fullest of meals, but sometimes you crave one.:)

@Scrufflet - I'll certainly try to keep an eye open! :)

I actually don't read much Swedish crime - and when I do, it's mostly Stieg Trenter, who was a Vintage writer. Sadly, his books don't seem to have ever been translated. I tend to gravitate towards whodunnits/cosies/historical crime. Nothing too gruesome - as I usually say, I'm generally to be found on the less-graphic side of any spectrum.:)

I've seen a few TV adaptations of Henning Mankell, though - the one's with Rolf Lassgård playing Wallander. And I've taped some Kenneth Branagh ones. So, we'll get to them... when we get to them. (Note: we're watching stuff I taped in... 2005, at the moment.;) Just a leetle behindhand - as is my reading, so, I suppose, at least I'm consistent.;))

Scrufflet

Final Flight
LRK, I checked on wikipedia and the series was on BBC Scotland, shown 1995 - 1998. It was made available on DVD in the U.S. and U.K.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MW, I too liked most of Sue Grafton's novels.

Just wondered if anyone has read "X" by Sue Grafton??

Merrywidow said:
Hi Dee! I love Evanovich.

I'm glad to know that you like Janet Evanovich, I have not read any of her novels.

Just wanted to let you know that I got the audio book "One for the Money" for a nice road trip. I love listening to them, it makes the time go by quicker.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Haven't read "X" yet but plan on reading "W" in the next month or two. Just finished "Curiosity & the Cat Sitter" by Blaize Clement, a new author of cozy mysteries for me. Very impressed, takes place in Florida Keys.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Haven't read "X" yet but plan on reading "W" in the next month or two. Just finished "Curiosity & the Cat Sitter" by Blaize Clement, a new author of cozy mysteries for me. Very impressed, takes place in Florida Keys.

Oooh. I was in the Keys last Feb. so I am looking forward to this.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
The Stieg Larsson series has been carried on by a Swedish journalist, David Lagercrantz, in a 4th book: The Girl in the Spider's Web. I just finished it and loved it. I was afraid that a new writer was going to destroy this remarkable series but loved the characters so much that I was willing to risk it! Happy result! He isn't Larsson and tends to tie things up more neatly but that's a small complaint. Enjoy and savour!