Really Unique Figure Skating Programs | Golden Skate

Really Unique Figure Skating Programs

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm going to write an article about the weirdest figure skating programs ever.. I can think of some off the top of my head, but I'd be interested in hearing what others think are the weirdest programs ever.. I'll probably check out all the ones that people name, and then write a top 10 list. I can mainly think of ones from the disciplines of men's and ice dance. I guess pairs and ladies don't skate to weird programs as often? LOL

Crystallize

On the Ice
If we can include exhibitions, then I nominate Debi Thomas's at 1986 Worlds. Maybe not so much weird as it was silly. I loved it. :laugh2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mm3Fud7Jmo

I thought Oksana Baiul's Desert Rose program was rather uh.....unusual. Well, maybe not for her. Idk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzY0WE3RW4

I think it really depends on what one's definition of weird is, too. lol. I honestly can't think of any weird competitive programs from female skaters.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Irina Slutskaya - the one where she dealt cards at the beginning of it... that was pretty weird.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lambiel's Red Cat. Plushenko's Sex Bomb, as a baby, and the one where he was both man and woman.

I can't remember the Lady who skated like a drunk diva in an outrageous outfit.

BlackPack

Medalist
Yagudin's Banana program

Gary Beacom's "I'm Your Man"

Bestimianova and Bukin's "Rasputin" program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin did an "Aboriginal" dance at Vancouver and as an Australian I can say the entire country was "***?!" Seriously, what were they thinking with that one? Weird and offensive at the same time.

Also Mafke linked to this one the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwWknPW_SMg which I couldn't even watch all the way through because....:shocked:

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Savchenko and Szolkowy's Send in the Clowns was quite weird to me, mainly because of this song's sense.
Alena Leonova's Pirates of the Caribbean was weird in a really good way.
Stolbova and Klimov's La Strada was really weird and - for me - didn't match the music totally :p

BlackPack

Medalist
There was also another campy exhibition number in the 80s. I don't remember the female skater. She was wearing an underwear-like costume and kept "mooning" the audience.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Surprised no one mentioned Adelina's Gala at Sochi yet... I thought I have an active imagination, but clearly I am not smoking the right stuff.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Yuzu's Vertigo EX maybe?....because of his age when her did it plus those...um hip movement :slink:

it might not be weird but it's really awkward and hilarious

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Surprised no one mentioned Adelina's Gala at Sochi yet... I thought I have an active imagination, but clearly I am not smoking the right stuff.

It was one of my favorite Gala's of last season. Hmm. I remember posting about it after Russian Nationals. :slink: