Ashley Wagner's future | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's future

desertskates

Medalist
This seems to happen more often than necessary. Why don't they play it safe and eat something they know can't cause a problem?

I kind of wondered the same thing. If I had an event of that magnitude going on, I'd be on the bread, Gatorade and energy bar diet for the preceding 24 hours! That's probably easier said than done if you're in Bordeaux :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I kind of wondered the same thing. If I had an event of that magnitude going on, I'd be on the bread, Gatorade and energy bar diet for the preceding 24 hours! That's probably easier said than done if you're in Bordeaux :laugh:

I'd also have hand sanitizer and face masks on too! :laugh:

Johar

Medalist
Has a skater ever gotten sick on the ice before? From either end? I couldn't imagine how that would be cleaned up.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has a skater ever gotten sick on the ice before? From either end? I couldn't imagine how that would be cleaned up.

You have to bring out the zamboni and then go over it without laying water and only using the blade. I've seen it during hockey games. :gross:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I like Ashley but I do think she's being marked too highly for transitions. But how would you score her skating skills in comparison to Radionova and Lipnitskaya?

I agree. It's the effect of a skater being one of the "artistic"/"established" ones... they can give a performance which is lacking transitions (or even pretty much devoid of them...) and still won't get marked down. IMO, Kim's had some recent skates where she didn't have a ton of transitions, Kostner's Worlds FS last year where she got a PCS PB had transitions removed from it compared to the Olympics, and of course, there's Plushenko who self-admittedly doesn't really do transitions (but still gets high TR marks - moreso than skaters who actually incorporate transitions - if he goes clean).

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Yet, her SS score suggests she's their level for the past few years. It's ridiculous. She's a slow skater with average SS and no TR. Why can't they mark her accordingly. 6 in SS, 5.5 in TR.

:laugh::laugh:

Let's give out 4.0 and 3.5 in choreography and interpretation to all the top skaters that deserve it too

Selene

On the Ice
Yet, her SS score suggests she's their level for the past few years. It's ridiculous. She's a slow skater with average SS and no TR. Why can't they mark her accordingly. 6 in SS, 5.5 in TR.

I don't understand her PCS either. She's a good performer and sells her programs, but that's it. Her programs are empty. There are no transitions and she stalks her jumps. And her skating skills are average at best - you can see it in her step sequences.

She's being given very generous PCS, considering her level of skating. But even the PCS cannot save her because her technical level (both jumps and spins) is so inferior to the Russian skaters.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
This seems to happen more often than necessary. Why don't they play it safe and eat something they know can't cause a problem?

Honestly I really do wonder about athlete diets. For instance you see how much swimmers eat. . . I just hope some of it is home made and not sodium laden store bought stuff?

My better half and I have been trying (we cheat with cheese a lot) to go low sodium for his health, and the one thing we have both noticed since trying to cut out the salt is how horrible we feel when we eat stuff like restaurant food that is high in sodium. it has a noticeable effect on us and we just feel like crap. I don't know how these guys do it. At this point even having to live off restaurant food for days on end makes me shudder a bit.

Have to admit that I think I would be living on meal bars when traveling at this level. Not just to avoid food poisoning but to try to maintain some level of consistency in my diet.

noskates

Record Breaker
I remember before John Nicks backed off of coaching that Ashley made comments about how he was controlling her weight.

I, too, would take a jar of peanut butter and some crackers. I won't eat airline food.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I remember before John Nicks backed off of coaching that Ashley made comments about how he was controlling her weight.

I, too, would take a jar of peanut butter and some crackers. I won't eat airline food.

I recall she said she lost some weight after nationals before the Olympics, but got the impression it was not pressured so much as her wanting to shape up for the Olympics and weight loss was within reason.

I know Joshua Farris travels with food for allergies. . . so it can be done.

Globetrotter

Medalist
At TEB, She had the highest skating skill score in the short and the second highest in the long. Something is amiss here, as you suggest.

Yup, I think so too. She could perhaps have been rewarded more in terms of IN/PE but for SS, I think she is not even at the level of Radionova or Tuktamysheva. She is not as fast and her edges are really pretty mediocre. She needs to rework these basics and then the jumps and speed will come naturally although it will be longer. Pity, she is one who has personality and performance and a competitive nature.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I am thinking Courtney Hicks will win the US nationals this year.

I love a good surprise but I think the judges will probably put Gracie with minor flaws ahead of a clean Courtney, also Gracie is more of a late season skater

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gold is also going to be defending her title so there's that, don't forget...

desertskates

Medalist
My fear for Ashley now is that Gracie will win NHK, knocking her out of the GPF. Because I'm an Ashley fan, I don't want this to happen, but my gut says it will. Gracie has had since Skate America to shape up, and I'm sure Frank has been working her pretty hard. But I do think Nationals might belong to Ashley this year because Gracie is so nervous. Defending has got to be so much harder than trying to win it back.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plus for all her faults Gold is a more complete skater then Hicks. Courtney still moves in a herky jerky way and it's not smooth.

R.D.

Record Breaker
My fear for Ashley now is that Gracie will win NHK, knocking her out of the GPF. Because I'm an Ashley fan, I don't want this to happen, but my gut says it will. Gracie has had since Skate America to shape up, and I'm sure Frank has been working her pretty hard. But I do think Nationals might belong to Ashley this year because Gracie is so nervous. Defending has got to be so much harder than trying to win it back.

Not to get too far OT but I had a look at the NHK roster and it's definitely a winnable event for Gold. Frankly she really should be able to win if she skates to her capacity...it would be nice to (finally) have her in the GPF even if it's at Wagner's expense. On the flip side, it will be tough for Gold at Nationals being the defending champ. Perhaps Wagner could benefit from having one less competition on the schedule anyway (not like she needs the experience or anything having been at this 6 years).

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If Gold wins at NHK, she would take the No. 5 spot away from Wagner. But Wagner could still get into the final at No. 6, depending on how many points are scored by the No. 2 skater at NHK.