Negotiation cases in figure iceskating | Golden Skate

Negotiation cases in figure iceskating

Rinchan

Rinkside
Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure whether this is the right session of the forum to post or not to post this thread, if not I'm really sorry
I'm an Italian girl currently living and studying in South Korea. I have to write a final paper about a negotiation case for my negotiation class. Our professor strongly suggested us to pick up a case related to a field that we like... and figure skating came to my mind. I have been following figure iceskating for the last couple of years and really got into the sport.
I tried to think about some possible cases in figure iceskating which are framable into the category "negotiation" however I couldn't come up with good examples: I thought about the abolition of the anonimous judging voting or the break between Kim Yuna and Brian Order. However for the first case the analysis would be too complicated because there are too many parties involved and in the second case actually the facts have never been disclosed, so its impossible to analyize it.
I wanted to ask to more expert fans if they have some interesting case to suggest.
Sorry for the strange topic and thank you for any suggestion/comment :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rinchan,
I want to be sure I understand. By Negotiation do you perhaps mean Debate?

If so, there are a number of topics that could be debated. Here's two:

1. Has anonymous judging made the judging better or worse in figure skating?
2. Has the introduction of the new (well, now not so new) judging system helped or hurt the sport?

Rinchan

Rinkside
Dorispulaski,

thank you for your kind reply. For negotiation case I don't intend a debate (that would be great!!), but a discussion between two or more parties with opposite opinions/positions who reached an agreement or not.
I thought about the motion to abolish anonymous judging and its failure to pass as a possible negotiation case were small federations and big federations interests were opposed... however I figured out that actually the big federations, who are better served by the anonymous judging, voted against it and the smaller federations, who actually are damaged by this judging system, actually voted in favor of it.
So I was wandering if there was a famous case of a negotiation between an athlete and a coach or a federation and a coach/athlete were the parties did disagree/discuss on something (could be remuneration, training schedule, benefits, obligations... whatever) and reached/or didn't reach an agreement. I know it's quite a strange request, I was just wondering if there was something that applied to this paper :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are annual meetings of the ISU, and I suspect negotiations occur, but I haven't seen the details published.

I am sure negotiations occur in the technical committees, but I wouldn't know where to find the details.

Rinchan

Rinkside
Exactly... that would have been an awesome subject for me but alas, negotiation processes are always kept confidential :(. I will chose some other topic.

thank you so much fo taking the time to read this post :)!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
An idea/suggestion for you, Rinchan:

Negotiation btwn the ISU and the IOC was necessary over inclusion of the figure skating Team Event in Sochi.

Among the issues were the scheduling of the Team Event within the duration of the Games, and the limitation to skaters who already were competing in individual events.

IceNetwork had at least a little information about the compromises btwn the ISU and the IOC.
If you do some digging among public documents from both bodies, perhaps you could find more.
And/or perhaps you could even try to interview some of the officials involved?? (I don't know how much time you are expected to spend on this class paper.)

In any case, good luck.​

Rinchan

Rinkside
Golden, thank you so so much! That's really an interesting subject! I will definitely try to dig more into the topic, thank you so much :D!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Great idea, golden :)

Golden, thank you so so much! That's really an interesting subject! I will definitely try to dig more into the topic, thank you so much :D!

Thx for the feedback. :)

Rinchan, no pressure and no rush, but if this topic works out and you do complete a paper on it, I hope you will share with us (at your convenience) what you were able to find out about the negotiation btwn the ISU and the IOC.

I'm sure that Doris and I would be curious to know what you discover, and I believe that others here at GS would be too. :popcorn:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thx for the feedback. :)

Rinchan, no pressure and no rush, but if this topic works out and you do complete a paper on it, I hope you will share with us (at your convenience) what you were able to find out about the negotiation btwn the ISU and the IOC.

I'm sure that Doris and I would be curious to know what you discover, and I believe that others here at GS would be too. :popcorn:

I would love to see it as well.

Rinchan

Rinkside
Hi guys,

first of all, thank you for all the suggestions you gave me, I really appreciated it.
In the end I couldn't write a paper on this topic because I have been hospitalized for some time and couldn't really work on it, I ended up using a negotiation case I had already researched for another course. Thank you for your warm support and kind suggestions. If I ever have the chance to write something about this topic I will share it for sure!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hi guys,

first of all, thank you for all the suggestions you gave me, I really appreciated it.
In the end I couldn't write a paper on this topic because I have been hospitalized for some time and couldn't really work on it, I ended up using a negotiation case I had already researched for another course. Thank you for your warm support and kind suggestions. If I ever have the chance to write something about this topic I will share it for sure!

Rinchan, thank you so much for returning to give us an update.
Hope that you are out of the hospital at this point. Wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year.

Rinchan

Rinkside
Thank you golden! Yes I'm doing much better now, still getting treatment but I can say I almost recovered
. I wish you awonderful new year too