An Interview with Brian Orser | Page 2 | Golden Skate

An Interview with Brian Orser

noskates

Record Breaker
I think each figure skater has different needs and it's important to find the right fit. For Jason - clearly it's Kori. I don't know how he would cope with someone like Frank Carroll. Jason needs the hugs and the hand-holding and apparently the mothering. That works for him!!! I have no clue what Yuna needed - other than to win. Adam should have stayed with Brian IMO. Whatever Brian is doing he's quite successful at it and he'll learn to deal with the emotions or the relationships. Just from reading this article I gather Brian wasn't too worldly when he started coaching. It's a challenge to toughen up in the public eye.

I'm still amazed at Brian and Josef throwing those quads like they were nothing in 1985! That was 29 years ago! Wow.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think each figure skater has different needs and it's important to find the right fit. For Jason - clearly it's Kori. I don't know how he would cope with someone like Frank Carroll. Jason needs the hugs and the hand-holding and apparently the mothering. That works for him!!! I have no clue what Yuna needed - other than to win. Adam should have stayed with Brian IMO. Whatever Brian is doing he's quite successful at it and he'll learn to deal with the emotions or the relationships. Just from reading this article I gather Brian wasn't too worldly when he started coaching. It's a challenge to toughen up in the public eye.

Yeah that's my take. Comparing Brian with someone like Frank Carroll who has been at it for decades, is a bit apples and oranges. Brian probably had a lot to learn early on and I bet he's benefited from it, even if it meant being hurt a few times.

I think another thing in mind with Jason and Kori was that she watch him go from basic skills classics to Olympian. That's a pretty dang special relationship. I'd be surprised if they didn't develop a close relationship.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I didn't really know that Brian was doing quads , really impressive

Propably he is proudly showing video to his current students - look I was too doing quads, and that was very long time ago :dance: :biggrin:

marina15

Spectator
i think he did this. From one of Hanyu's interviews, Hanyu mentioned Orser showed the quads video to him. Brain could do quads about 20 years ago, really impressive.
Propably he is proudly showing video to his current students - look I was too doing quads, and that was very long time ago :dance: :biggrin:

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I remember Sabovcik landing a quad in a competition at some point in the mid-80s, but apparently it wasn't ratified. During the event though, the commentators were certainly talking like it was. I actually didn't know it hadn't been ratified until Kurt landed his two or three years later. So yeah, guys were doing them in practice 30 years ago. Just goes to show though, that doing a quad in jump practice is very different to doing one in a program during a competition.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna seemed to lose the joy of skating after she left Brian. When she skated well, like at 2013 Worlds or Sochi, it was soulless. Compare any of those performances to her 2010 Olympic skates or her 2009 performances, Danse Macabre in particular.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yuna seemed to lose the joy of skating after she left Brian. When she skated well, like at 2013 Worlds or Sochi, it was soulless. Compare any of those performances to her 2010 Olympic skates or her 2009 performances, Danse Macabre in particular.

I didn't think she was soulless, just look at Send In Clowns, such a beautiful performance, fantastic execution, Yuna lost her appetite for competitive skating I would say, after winning the gold medal she's won it all, after she skated more out of obligation to help earn spots for her country's up and coming skaters. I don't really think she lost the joy of skating, she cared about skating to Adios Nonino because she loved Jeffrey Buttle's version and wanted to interpret it herself, there was still some drive there.

peg

Medalist
She was also very unhappy before she went to Brian. One of the reasons she went to him was because all the fan craziness in Korea was getting to her. I don't think she enjoys the limelight, but she has a strong sense of duty

MIM

Medalist

Letting Yuzu decide to compete and not intervening the program while he was falling five times on ice after the horrible warm-up accident at CoC, Brian got blamed by many skating fans and probably many skating experts as well.
He mentioned YuNa in a quite nostalgic way. I mean, he was quiet during the Sochi Olympic and never spoke up for his former student, YuNa regarding the anonymous judging or anything, in fact he said Carolina was worth of OGM.
After what happened at CoC, I kind of got a glimpse of what might have happened between YuNa and Brian (100% my speculation); Brian, a very passionate, ambitious, and young coach with a background in a successful competitive skater, does not necessarily put his skater's safety/ health over the success. It works when you are greatly motivated and eager to fight for the challenges. When you have accomplished so much, in yuna' case, however, you may appreciate other things and priorities get shifted. I don't think cultural difference was the major issue of their breakup. They were together for four years and communicated even when YuNa did not speak English at all. Their interests didn't align any more- they broke up.

Again, he is, no doubt, a very successful coach and his students are doing great. He does not need to prove anything to anyone for his credentials.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well,,,, I cannot help but being skeptical about the timing when Brian gave this interview... I know I am too skeptical.. Hope I am wrong, but....

Letting Yuzu decide to compete and not intervening the program while he was falling five times on ice after the horrible warm-up accident at CoC, Brian got blamed by many skating fans and probably many skating experts as well. Instead of updating yuzu's condition or his stance after CoC, he gave this very very long interview about his grandeous career as a skater, his honorable position as a coach in Asia, and his noble view regarding the anonymous judging, etc. Plus, he mentioned YuNa in a quite nostalgic way. I mean, he was quiet during the Sochi Olympic and never spoke up for his former student, YuNa regarding the anonymous judging or anything, in fact he said Carolina was worth of OGM. Maybe I am holding grudges for him because of Yuzu. But I don't feel him as a sincere person as he should be in this interview.....

The interview was posted back in August. It's not new.

MIM

Medalist
The interview was posted back in August. It's not new.

Oops!! I missed the date when it was published! I read it here in GS assuming it's a current interview. I will edit some part in my post that was affected by the " timing" :) thank you for the correction!!

peg

Medalist
Letting Yuzu decide to compete and not intervening the program while he was falling five times on ice after the horrible warm-up accident at CoC, Brian got blamed by many skating fans and probably many skating experts as well.

The way things work currently, it is not the coach's decision. He did not have the authority to intervene (even though many of us wish he did have that authority)

(100% my speculation); Brian, a very passionate, ambitious, and young coach with a background in a successful competitive skater, does not necessarily put his skater's safety/ health over the success.
I actually think it is the opposite. When Yuzuru wanted to compete, Brian is the one who told him it was not the time to be a hero. And then, when Yuzuru was about to get on the ice for the second warm-up, Brian said to him, "Take it slow. Your health is the most important thing." That does not sound like a coach who cares more about the success than the skater's safety. Quite the opposite.

Also, the cultural differences in communication would only come into play in a situation where Yuna was unhappy with something he was doing or saying and by saying something directly, she would have been critisizing him.

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
I highly doubt he was not putting his skater's safety/health over success. He has explained himself already about that incident. And it was just the Grand Prix, not as big as the Olympics where someone would probably feel a little bit more conflicted when put in the same situation. I don't think he would gain so much for having a skater win a Grand Prix competition. There is no motivation for him to put success over his skater's health first.

It is difficult to point fingers at Hanyu's decision to skate. Some blame Hanyu, some blame the coaches, others blame the federation or organisers....

MIM

Medalist
The way things work currently, it is not the coach's decision. He did not have the authority to intervene (even though many of us wish he did have that authority)

I actually think it is the opposite. When Yuzuru wanted to compete, Brian is the one who told him it was not the time to be a hero. And then, when Yuzuru was about to get on the ice for the second warm-up, Brian said to him, "Take it slow. Your health is the most important thing." That does not sound like a coach who cares more about the success than the skater's safety. Quite the opposite.

Also, the cultural differences in communication would only come into play in a situation where Yuna was unhappy with something he was doing or saying and by saying something directly, she would have been critisizing him.

As you said, it may not be the authority of a coach. But at the end of the day, it is the skater and the coach who work together everyday 24/7 no matter what. It is the coach's job to protect the skater from anything outside and help him concentrate on what he prepared to do 100% or more. If he has to intervene, even though it is crossing line or out of authority, a coach should risk it and further stretch his obligation for his skater's best interest. Here I am not talking about a minor injury, but a life threatening deadly injury. I understand Brian tried to stop Yuzu from competing, yet it was Yuzu's will to compete. But if the authority whoever is able to decide to intervene or not were too strong for a mere coach to handle it, can you imagine what a young teenage skater can say or do against their decision? It will be much much harder for the skate to do or not to do...

I cannot imagine Frank Carroll wouldn't step in and take some action if it were his skater's case.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
I highly doubt he was not putting his skater's safety/health over success. He has explained himself already about that incident. And it was just the Grand Prix, not as big as the Olympics where someone would probably feel a little bit more conflicted when put in the same situation. I don't think he would gain so much for having a skater win a Grand Prix competition. There is no motivation for him to put success over his skater's health first.

It is difficult to point fingers at Hanyu's decision to skate. Some blame Hanyu, some blame the coaches, others blame the federation or organisers....

I know it is hard to say literally "success" over his skater's health. Still, whatever stopped him from intervening at that dreadful event; his relationship with the Japanese federation, the CoC orginizer, etc. is not worth of his skater's health. Brian told Yuzu not to be a hero. But, Brian could have been a real hero in this case and save us all: many anxious fans, young skaters who would have learned when to stop, false judging, and his dignity as a great coach.

Ps. I apolize my initial post where my misreading the interview date led my judgement on him and stirred up some unnecessarily negative opinions on him. I edited after being pointed out. But there are some points I do not agree with him regardless. This issue has been discussed fugitively in another thread already. I just hope I am not adding the same argument to here.

MIM

Medalist

Then, this could explain how they broke up.... and the something has to do with why they broke up... :biggrin:

Bonesfan

On the Ice
I know it is hard to say literally "success" over his skater's health. Still, whatever stopped him from intervening at that dreadful event; his relationship with the Japanese federation, the CoC orginizer, etc. is not worth of his skater's health. Brian told Yuzu not to be a hero. But, Brian could have been a real hero in this case and save us all: many anxious fans, young skaters who would have learned when to stop, false judging, and his dignity as a great coach.

Ps. I apolize my initial post where my misreading the interview date led my judgement on him and stirred up some unnecessarily negative opinions on him. I edited after being pointed out. But there are some points I do not agree with him regardless. This issue has been discussed fugitively in another thread already. I just hope I am not adding the same argument to here.

So that is why you've now posted multiple times criticizing Brian for his actions at CoC even though it is not related to the interview? What does "fugitively" mean?

Also, your assumptions seem culturally Asian-centric. Please don't think you are speaking for everyone that Brian could have "save us all".

Mafke

Medalist
Some blame Hanyu, some blame the coaches, others blame the federation or organisers....

Who has the power at a competition to rule that a skater is unable to continue?

A representative of the skater's federation? The event referee? No one (if this is the case, it's clear that there does need to be someone with that power).

_That's_ the person who deserves 100% of the blame here, not Hanyu (basically a foolhardy kid).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't think she was soulless, just look at Send In Clowns, such a beautiful performance, fantastic execution, Yuna lost her appetite for competitive skating I would say, after winning the gold medal she's won it all, after she skated more out of obligation to help earn spots for her country's up and coming skaters. I don't really think she lost the joy of skating, she cared about skating to Adios Nonino because she loved Jeffrey Buttle's version and wanted to interpret it herself, there was still some drive there.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I do think SITC at Sochi was better than Adios Nonino but still, there was no spark. Maybe it was the music choices--both had to do with sad endings. She looked beautiful on the ice but the performances, in my opinion, were cold and a little static.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Who has the power at a competition to rule that a skater is unable to continue?

A representative of the skater's federation? The event referee? No one (if this is the case, it's clear that there does need to be someone with that power).

_That's_ the person who deserves 100% of the blame here, not Hanyu (basically a foolhardy kid).

In the thread Latest Health Updates From Han Yan, I translated a report published on the Fudan University's website and written by a member of the medical personnel at the COC, from Huashan Hospital.

"On November 11 during the Men Single event, current Olympic and World Champion, Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu and 2013 COC Champion Yan Han had an accidental collision. They both fell. After a little while, Yan Han got up by himself and slowly skated off the rink, but Hanyu's face was bleeding and he could not get up on his own. With the permission of the judges, Dr, Zhang led the emergency personnel and carried out a quick medical treatment and helped Hanyu off the rink for additional attention. Meanwhile, emergency crew was sent to diagnose Yan's condition. Both competitors suffered contusions due to the collision. After treatment and observation of the injured, and emergency discussion with the competitors' coaches, their team medical personnel, and the event committee, their injuries were deemed relatively light. As both competitors insisted on completing the competition, the event committee eventually agreed to allow the two competitors participate in the Free Skate. The collision had a definite effect on the two competitors' skating standard such that both made various errors in their performances. Eventually Hanyu finished at second place and Han at sixth."

It was a joint decision by responsible parties of the event. As I also expressed at that thread, fans, as concerned as we are, do not know the exact health condition of the injured from our limited remote observation and limited medical knowledge. Even minor injuries can cause trauma and shock to the body to induce weakness and even fainting, which does not indicate the exact severity of the injury and any potential long term effect. Let's not point fingers and pass judgement because of our over concern and anxiety.

I find this interview revealing and enlightening in various ways but fans focusing on Kim/Orser breakup and blaming Orser for Hanyu skating his LP at COC a bit surprising.