2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies FS 11/22 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies FS 11/22

gotoschool

Medalist
Elena didn't get any deductions b/c she rotated everything and didn't get any edge calls. Mao got both in her FS which is why her TES dropped.

Also don't forget that Elena skated last, with the lead, and managed to deliver perfectly. She was the only one of the medalists who skated cleanly. Scores always soar in situations like that. Not to mention that's the 3rd time this season she's skated that program cleanly. Momentum is on Elena's and Liza T's side right now b/c they are the two who have skated very well all season.

I am aware of the tech calls on Mao. I didn't agree with a few of them and the high GOE given by the judges (over +1) on a few of these jumps before they were downgraded also suggests otherwise. As far as momentum goes, setting a world record in the SP, her Sochi LP and skating in the last group at worlds did give Mao a lot of momentum in her PCS in the Worlds LP, which was very high (almost 73), but this wasn't consistent with her poor tech treatment. I still think the tech crew dings the ur machine more on some skaters more than others regardless of how much they rotate, and I am sticking to this after looking at instant replays. Besides, rationales for scoring based on a clean prestige don't really matter to me when it is what the performance looks like at that moment that is the most important.

I do think Elena and Liza skated well, though I prefer Liza's style and jumps more.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
I am aware of the calls on Mao. I didn't agree with a few of them and the high GOE given by the judges (over +1) on a few of these jumps also suggests otherwise. As far as momentum goes, setting a world record in the SP, her Sochi LP and skating in the last group at worlds did give Mao a lot of momentum in PCS, which was very high (almost 73), but this wasn't consistent with the tech treatment. I still think the tech crew dings the ur machine more on some skaters more than others regardless of how much they rotate and I am sticking to this after looking at instant replays. Besides, rationales for scoring based on a clean prestige don't really matter to me when it is what the performance looks like at that moment that is the most important.

I do think Elena and Liza skated well, though I prefer Liza's style and jumps more.

IMO Mao never got fully the PCS she deserved. :disapp:

Having said that you we really can't compare the PCS scores with the past. Look at the ID.
They are getting scores now that V&M and D&W at the same age never got.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
Elena congrats , keep impressing. keep it it.
Julia good job.
Ashley good job, sorry about stomach ailment. keep up good work, as I said in another blog. you should have got credit for the triple/triple, you spun 3 times in air on last triple, but good try.

Courtney-=good job, I just wish you do a triple/triple it looks like you have room.
Samantha good job.

Mae Bernice -good job- I have question , is she okay because it seem like she skated slower than normal. she had to push herself to get through and she didn't get the height on her jumps she usually gets.

but good job all.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Elena didn't get any deductions b/c she rotated everything and didn't get any edge calls. Mao got both in her FS which is why her TES dropped.

Also don't forget that Elena skated last, with the lead, and managed to deliver perfectly. She was the only one of the medalists who skated cleanly. Scores always soar in situations like that. Not to mention that's the 3rd time this season she's skated that program cleanly. Momentum is on Elena's and Liza T's side right now b/c they are the two who have skated very well all season.

Agreed, but still. It wasn't a 130+ skate. She delivered the program greatly but got some inflated GOEs.

Tutto

Record Breaker
...because I'm just not a fan yet so I have not missed anything. I want to see if you can jump after puberty and have presentation like Mao or Yuna. I'm just not as impressed that you can jump at 14-15.

Same here. Hopefully Elena will grow into a beautiful skater but right now presentation wise for me its someting of cross between a grasshopper & windmill (ohh and a tortoise to complete the picture)- sorry Elena!

breynows

On the Ice
Guys, i was checking the protocols and lipnitskaya got credited for her 3lz-2t combination, but isn't it an invalid element considering that it was the "4th combination" (2a-3t-2t, 2a-3t, 3f+rep)?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guys, i was checking the protocols and lipnitskaya got credited for her 3lz-2t combination, but isn't it an invalid element considering that it was the "4th combination" (2a-3t-2t, 2a-3t, 3f+rep)?

Repeated jump is just 3F-REP and scored at 70 percent of the base value

slider11

Medalist
I have to agree that Elena's artistry is that of a rambunctious 15 year old. She's very cute with a beautiful smile but the ridiculously high artistry marks are wrong.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I have to agree that Elena's artistry is that of a rambunctious 15 year old. She's very cute with a beautiful smile but the ridiculously high artistry marks are wrong.

Exactly. So many skaters (mostly Russians) are getting so highly marked on PCS. I remember at 2014 Worlds when both So Youn Park and Ashley Wagner had great performances that deserved high PCS but So Youn got 10 points lower than what Elena got here and Ashley pretty much had the same PCS score as Elena.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
You devil! :p

I just watched the program again so we can discuss it. I don't find it to be a good program, but it does have a few nice attempts I suppose. The jumps are spread out well (except for back-to-back Lutzes) and the program is allowed to breathe at the start. Let's use this video as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G33oqnr1yY

The transitions in the program are overdone. I hate the hop going into the 3Flip+3Toe attempt. Why ruin the sheer power and clarity of line going into this element? There's nothing in the music that calls for it. The hop after her 3Loop is a very half-assed movement that again ruins the line and impact felt after the jump.

In her first spin, the upright catch-foot camel position is useless and should be removed. All it does is remove the somewhat positive impact of her donut position. If judges were scoring accurately then it should be a 0 GOE. If she just did a Level 3 (ending the spin after the donut) and added in one arm movement to reflect the drum beat in there, then it would be +1 GOE worthy, which would actually be worth slightly more points technically and improves the program on top of it. In her second spin, that attempted upside-down camel position with a change of edge is a complete disgrace. Very, very ugly. The sit spin position is weak too. This element needs to be reworked to find something suitable for her skillset. She should probably attempt "just" a Level 3 and focus on GOE and impact of the actual movement. Cut out that change of edge and work on making the upside-down position good and getting into a better sit position afterward.

Heading into the second half of the program, the character of the music is lost. At 2:20 she puts her arms behind her back, but the full clause of that movement is not taken to its conclusion. She quickly removes them and seems to lose any sense of character and then she does a hop at 2:29, which serves no purpose at all. A more emotional throughline needs to be kept as she goes into that 3Lutz+2Toe+3Loop. She does a step before the jump and that's plenty. We don't extra extraneous movement leading there. After this jump she starts to build up speed again for another Lutz and I find this to be a mistake. Her step sequence should instead be starting after that Lutz combo. The music has taken on more complex qualities at this point, making it a much more suitable for some CoP footwork.

Let's allot 2:45 to 3:15 as the space for her footwork sequence. This would actually be rather perfect because the music starts becoming more forceful at 3:13, so it would transition into her building up speed for a jump. Although I must say this part is probably not a great music selection for a solo skating program. I would be looking for a different cut myself. Still, if we're forced to use this, then it should be played as a frantic race across the ice, leading into a Triple Lutz at 3:31. After that would come the 2A+2A as it is currently and then finally the 3F as her last jump.

The choreography sequence after the Flip is completely terrible right now. No real excitement or character at all. A weak half leap, a fan kick when the music has become slower and more melancholic, and then a split jump? Just awful. This sequence should be a simple, fast straight line of movement across the ice, ending with a held-out lunge at 4:13 to interpret the silence that has come after the crescendo. For her final spin she needs to cut out the attempted broken leg sit position, because it's terrible and will just waste time and put her behind the music. Again, just go for a quality Level 3 here.

:bow:Okay, BoP, I am officially your fan now and will be looking forward to your analysis when things don't make sense. I feel like printing this and going to watch the program again!! Thorough step by step analysis!