2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens FS 11/22 | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens FS 11/22

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, congratulations to Kovtun for winning the event. :)

If he kept it together when others did not, I don't see how that's his fault?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Wow, you clearly have it out for him. He had a bad FS in CoC, but it wasn't bombing -- he still did a quad and two 3As ... he wouldn't have won the LP (and not just over Hanyu, all the other guys too) if it was a true bombing. Amodio's TEB FS was a "bombing"... Hanyu's CoC FS was a "bombing", as was Lip's CoC FS. Kovtun fell on his 4S and tripled his 4T, but still did a 3T+2T. It's essentially as though his layout had "only" 2 quads (which he fell on one) and he did a 3T+2T which would have been worth essentially the same as a 3F(e)+2T. And yes, he gave up some points on the 3A+1T too. But everything was executed for the most part.

Hey, I get that you're super upset that Kovtun's actually winning events, but to say he hasn't won delivering two good programs using a sample size of just 2 competitions (both of which he won, mind you) isn't very fair.

His china performance in the fs had major flaws. Bomb may be a little too much for that but not his sp in France!

lavender

Record Breaker
Man I just couldn't get through any of those programs. I was so bored or distracted. Rippon and maybe Richard was the only ones I enjoyed all the way through.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't count of any big score from Hanyu at NHK if he will go. Propably he will not even be attempting quads with current physical state ( or I hope so)

I am sorry; I didn't know how bad it was. I just h ope he gets better - is it wrong for me to say - take it easy Hanyu and don't risk further injury or worse some head / brain damage or something. I rather he not compete and come back healthy. Surely it can't be a money thing with him - I hope.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am sorry; I didn't know how bad it was. I just h ope he gets better - is it wrong for me to say - take it easy Hanyu and don't risk further injury or worse some head / brain damage or something. I rather he not compete and come back healthy. Surely it can't be a money thing with him - I hope.
JSF said only at the beginning of last week he started walking again. And he hadn't trained by that time as well (more like the doctor didn't allow him). I doubt that he can compete at NHK at this rate. I mean, he was almost bed-ridden for 2 weeks.:slink: I'd rather him staying home than pushing himself even more.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Exactly! Pulling up from 6th place to 1st is great! Kevin Reynolds did that at the 2013 4CC! So it's not unheard of. Kovtun skated cleanly so of course CLEAN performances will have more reward because of higher GOE.

fairly4

Medalist
good skate men.

Maxim good call-good skate, good strategy
Tatsuke--good skate
Denis -okay skate =-great quad, believe

Adam--kepp improving,
Richard, kepp improving. I would like to say practice because on t.v. it looks like you run out of steam at end of long. it seems sometimes you barely make thourough short program.

good job all.

lmens is great. the ending isn't what I thought be

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

It's not his fault, of course. I think he deserved the win here (I would've given CoC to Misha, actually...). But his SP was horrible. It's just upsetting that the men's field as a whole skated so badly, and we're left with a guy who bombed the SP, a guy who bombed the LP, and a guy who made mistakes in both as our podium.

LRK

Record Breaker
It's not his fault, of course. I think he deserved the win here (I would've given CoC to Misha, actually...). But his SP was horrible. It's just upsetting that the men's field as a whole skated so badly, and we're left with a guy who bombed the SP, a guy who bombed the LP, and a guy who made mistakes in both as our podium.

The thing is, I read most of the men's thread in one sitting, and it may not be as apparent if one had not, but... Kovtun seems to be receiving far more criticism for winning the event, than anyone else for losing it - in fact, than everyone else combined. I hardly think that is fair.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The thing is, I read most of the men's thread in one sitting, and it may not be as apparent if one had not, but... Kovtun seems to be receiving far more criticism for winning the event, than anyone else for losing it - in fact, than everyone else combined. I hardly think that is fair.
I think it's because he's the winner, and delivered a clean LP, that everyone is talking about him. Both positive and negative. Whereas with everyone else... what is there to say? :cry: Musicality? Performance skills? That would be like complaining about a broken fingernail after your house just burned down.

It's the same reason why people were complaining about Machida being too dramatic back in SA... but they're not talking about it anymore.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think it's because he's the winner, and delivered a clean LP, that everyone is talking about him. Both positive and negative. Whereas with everyone else... what is there to say? :cry: Musicality? Performance skills? That would be like complaining about a broken fingernail after your house just burned down.

It's the same reason why people were complaining about Machida being too dramatic back in SA... but they're not talking about it anymore.

Alas, but I think he brought the wrong kind of drama here... :cry:

On a serious note though, I actually like Machida much more this year - he's found his inner showman, and I'm loving it. :)

lavender

Record Breaker
I now get where Machida's passion is coming from after reading his interview. Hey Hanyu wasn't a fav until this year after seeing his improvement in the short so it can turn around quickly.