8. Han YAN (CHN) - 216.85 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 211.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 194.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 193.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If Hanyu and Machida can't do a clean program when it counts, then pointing out this hypothetical scenario is moot.

(And yes, I obviously know about Hanyu's collision affecting his LP in CoC.)

This is kind of like that US ladies' thread: most people say Polina and Gracie are better skaters than Ashley, which is true. But unlike them, Ashley always hits so it's kind of pointless to play the "what if" card if they can't deliver on the big stage.

Kovtun, however, is also prone to bombing and inconsistency as well. This is a guy who can win Russian nationals in one moment, then get beat by both of his teammates at Europeans in the next. Or in the 2012-2013 season, go from winning at JGPF then go 5th at nationals then go 4th at Europeans and then 17th (!!) at Worlds.

I don't see a what if scenario with either Hanyu or Machida that is comparable to Ashley vs. the other girls situation. They already have scored in the 170s and 180s in the FS. They have medaled at Worlds. Maxim has not. Maxim deserves props for seizing the opportunity and skating well today, but he's hardly a sure bet for anything (and neither are the rest of the men, clearly.)

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Kovtun, however, is also prone to bombing and inconsistency as well. This is a guy who can win Russian nationals in one moment, then get beat by both of his teammates at Europeans in the next. Or in the 2012-2013 season, go from winning at JGPF then go 5th at nationals then go 4th at Europeans and then 17th (!!) at Worlds.

I don't see a what if scenario with either Hanyu or Machida that is comparable to Ashley vs. the other girls situation. They already have scored in the 170s and 180s in the FS. They have medaled at Worlds. Maxim has not. Maxim deserves props for seizing the opportunity and skating well today, but he's hardly a sure bet for anything (and neither are the rest of the men, clearly.)

I don't think I implied anything about Kovtun being a sure bet for anything. Your parentheses are what I was getting at.

It's pointless to say "well if Machida (and whoever else) were clean they would have won" because, guess what? They didn't perform on the day so they didn't win. Nor will those taking advantage of others' mistakes mean they are in the running for medals in the future.

I think that's what we both mean, right? :)

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Okay among the insanity, I think I figured out Maxim's strategy.

He must have bribed all the skaters with the most delicious evil chocolate from Russia... otherwise how can you explain everyone just basically go "ohh there you go Max.. please take the gold. No, no, really, You must take it!! You are welcome. Thank you very much."

It is exactly what everyone learnt from the Olympics, it is the humble games.

slider11

Medalist
Congratulations, Adam! No medal but you're looking stronger. Straighten out that 3A and really make that artistry shine. I smell good things for US Nationals!

noskates

Record Breaker
I, for one, was happy to see Adam do so well in the freeskate. I always keep thinking that if he could just get his confidence back the rest would fall into place. (but that haircut is AWFUL)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/11/22/102199678/what-a-finish-kovtun-rallies-for-gold-at-bompard

Some insight on Menshov's FS was interesting:

Menshov explained that his free skate was dedicated to journalists covering wars.

"I am following the news every day, and I want peace for the world," Menshov said. "I want to bring attention to those journalists who risk their lives in every part of the world where there is a war."

This warms my heart a little. You hear journalists killed and beheaded by insurgents and dying while covering dangerous events (earlier this month 12 Iraqi journalists were abducted by the Islamic State and some are reported to have been beheaded), so I appreciate Menshov for thinking of these folks.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sotnikova is not a star. She stole Kim 2nd OGM.

Oh please. Stop being so obsurd. Let it go already. Sotnikova did not 'steal' an OGM from Kim. She was GIVEN the OGM by the judges due to their scoring. And whether you like it or not she is very much a star.

Now back to mens...

Thanks everyone who provided pbp. Congrats to all the medallists but special love and shout out to Adam who placed 5th. :rock:

Last edited:

Matilda

Medalist
I'd like to dedicate my middle finger to the judges that gave Hanyan 7s in SS.

THIS! How Amodio's PCS was only less than 1pt lower than Yan Han's is a mystery to me. The judges shouls be ashamed of themselves.

qwertyskates

Medalist
I liked Kovtun's SP last year and was really psyched about his prospects but this year's SP & LP are leaving me cold. I was incredibly bored by his LP, even though he nailed his quads and jumps. :disapp:

In contrast, loved Yan Han's LP, despite his falls and reserved performance because of injury, he is beautiful to watch, textbook jumps (pity about not landing them...), wonderful flow, deep edges, and yes, agreed completely with the 7s???!! for SS.

Still feel that Yan Han is better at delivering warhorse programs than the "cheeky young romantic".

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He doesn't have powerful federation behind him.

He does have some wonderful qualities about his skating but he is very inconsistent. And really he was so so lucky to peak at worlds and olympics - he should be grateful he has been rather lucky because sometimes he is a bit messy with his skating. I also notice that sometimes his stroking and edgework shows more confidence and strength then other times.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Poor Florent Amodio - what a disaster. Do you think the French Federation will dump him as they sort of did with Brian Joubert???

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, what a whacky free skate. A note about D10. I think it is a new outfit = the details do not show up from a distance or to the audience and the colors are not attractive. FAwn and sky blue are not overly complementary. Also he was going for some nationalistic theme but the 3/4 sleeve thing is not a good look; it looks unfinished, unprofessional andhardly nationalistic or patriotic. Like he is practising. I also noticed and thought it was my imagination but there is something about his entrance into jumps - it looks so casual, haphazzard and really not very finished looking though his jumps when on are wonderful. Today he was clearly off but there is hope.

TOo bad about the triple axel problem with Rippon; I like his style and costume though I swear I saw a little rip get bigger and flash open a few times. I don' think we are suppose to make comments about people's hair if it is personal like some poster did earlier but I do think his hair style didn't fit the classical music. Too harsh almost. :) I do find some of his jumps kind of leaning including the easier triples or double axel. Love the Tano.

I have to say Machida with errors isn't so interesting or hot to watch. Too bad about Menshov. Must go to the same school as Javier Fernandez.

Kovtun deserved to win; not sure why people almost "hate" him. His style is not everyone's cup of tea but he pulled it together and skated relatively cleanly. Kudos to him!

I wonder how Patrick Chan's long program at the Japan Open compares this year. I thought he scored about 178 points and some change. NOt great for world's but I think even though it was really early in the season he wouldn't do too bad at all. Someone needs to own the podium so to speak. Maybe Hanyu will bring it next week?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
:laugh: I'm not fan of Kovtun as a person but as a skater I really like him.

And I also love how he's making people's heads explode on this forum. :popcorn:

As though we need more bloodshed, guts and explosions in this world lol It shows the system is somewhat working; judges can't hold skatres up too much.

AprilS

On the Ice
Wow, what a whacky free skate. A note about D10. I think it is a new outfit = the details do not show up from a distance or to the audience and the colors are not attractive. FAwn and sky blue are not overly complementary. Also he was going for some nationalistic theme but the 3/4 sleeve thing is not a good look; it looks unfinished, unprofessional andhardly nationalistic or patriotic. Like he is practising. I also noticed and thought it was my imagination but there is something about his entrance into jumps - it looks so casual, haphazzard and really not very finished looking though his jumps when on are wonderful. Today he was clearly off but there is hope.

TOo bad about the triple axel problem with Rippon; I like his style and costume though I swear I saw a little rip get bigger and flash open a few times. I don' think we are suppose to make comments about people's hair if it is personal like some poster did earlier but I do think his hair style didn't fit the classical music. Too harsh almost. :) I do find some of his jumps kind of leaning including the easier triples or double axel. Love the Tano.

I have to say Machida with errors isn't so interesting or hot to watch. Too bad about Menshov. Must go to the same school as Javier Fernandez.

Kovtun deserved to win; not sure why people almost "hate" him. His style is not everyone's cup of tea but he pulled it together and skated relatively cleanly. Kudos to him!

I wonder how Patrick Chan's long program at the Japan Open compares this year. I thought he scored about 178 points and some change. NOt great for world's but I think even though it was really early in the season he wouldn't do too bad at all. Someone needs to own the podium so to speak. Maybe Hanyu will bring it next week?

I liked D10's outfit! I didn't at first, but it's definitely grown on me :) Unfortunately, I agree about Machida. About Kovtun, I think a lot of people just like having someone to "hate on"; I get the feeling that a lot of people poking at him don't actually hate him, though his style is certainly meh, he does tend to be overscored, and he should get -3 GOE on his social media skills. :p I have a soft spot for him though. I do so wish PChan was competing this year! Also, apparently, Hanyu just began "walking normally" a few days/a week ago. Reports (unconfirmed) are that he hasn't even gotten back on the ice yet, so I'm not really hopeful about NHK, even if he does decide to compete.