2014 Japanese Junior Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Japanese Junior Nationals

leolion11

On the Ice
Imo some of the junior ladies have more promise than a few of the current senior ladies. It should be exciting when wakaba moves up to seniors and can contend for a podium spot at senior nationals in time :)

jace93

On the Ice
Imo some of the junior ladies have more promise than a few of the current senior ladies. It should be exciting when wakaba moves up to seniors and can contend for a podium spot at senior nationals in time :)

If she skate like this or better she is already a contender :)

inskate

On the Ice
Where can we find full videos?

According to figureskateobasan, they will be broadcasted on the 30th. :)

Cohkaix, thanks for the correction. I somehow missed Miyu Nakashio on the Western Sectionals entry list... :eek:: I probably was sleepy enough to click on the Eastern Sectionals list and fail to notice that participarting skaters are all from the wrong division. :eek:: I hope she does well at Nationals, I quite like her SP. :)

AprilS

On the Ice
Thank you! I am actually so confused about why Wakaba got a ! on her flip. This was the best flip I've ever seen for her, and I could tell it was an inside edge even in real time :frown: Is she getting a reputation as a "lipper"? :sarcasm:

Actually, I have no idea why Marin got a ! on her second flip either... Was this pannel just really strict on flips? Because flips aren't going to get any more inside edge than that. :unsure:

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
The only skater I liked was Marin Honda. Other skaters were too boring for me. It's nice that Wakaba skates really fast and her jumps were big but not much else is there yet.

thoakun

Final Flight
Marin skated to a very difficult music but she really felt the music and was able to sell her program. I know she still has a lot to improve on, but I can't ask for a better 13-year-old skater. She must work really hard to get to this level. I didn't know that Marin's coach is Mie Hamada as Marin has cleared edges than Mie's students like Satoko and Yukina. Is that Akiko commenting?

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Marin skated to a very difficult music but she really felt the music and was able to sell her program. I know she still has a lot to improve on, but I can't ask for a better 13-year-old skater. She must work really hard to get to this level. I didn't know that Marin's coach is Mie Hamada as Marin has cleared edges than Mie's students like Satoko and Yukina. Is that Akiko commenting?

The only thing I am worried about Mie Hamada being Marin's coach is that her students are unable to keep their jumps once they fill out. Yukina Ota lost her jumps when she got older, so did Aki Sawada and Akiko Kitamura.

NMURA

Medalist
The only thing I am worried about Mie Hamada being Marin's coach is that her students are unable to keep their jumps once they fill out. Yukina Ota lost her jumps when she got older, so did Aki Sawada and Akiko Kitamura.

Yukina Oda was not a talented jumper. She was lucky to win medals at the last period of the 6.0 system. She didn't have much hope under COP even without injuries or Mie Hamada.

Aki Sawada couldn't control her diet and weight after entering the university. It's not a coache's fault.

Undoubtedly, Miyahara is the best skater who ever coached by Hamada. This year's SC bronze is the first senior GP medal won by her student. Miyahara won't lose her jumps. Her body will remain as it is like Narumi Takahashi.

Marin's jumps are higher with good flows. She can't be compared with them. Also she's very smart. When she concludes that Hamada is not good enough for top level skaters, she will go to someone else (I hope Kulik, or Orser).

champs

Final Flight
This is just my personal taste, but I'll be really happy if Wakaba gets rid of that tilted, counterclockwise head swirling as she wraps/crosses her arms when she turns herself out upon jump landing. I don't know if it's what's taught by her coach or choreographer, her own invention, or just a spontaneous move that has turned into a habit, but it's starting to bother me because she does it so often. Otherwise I love her explosive jump takeoff and the speed with which she skates, really reminds me of Midori's early teeneage days.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
This is just my personal taste, but I'll be really happy if Wakaba gets rid of that tilted, counterclockwise head swirling as she wraps/crosses her arms when she turns herself out upon jump landing. I don't know if it's what's taught by her coach or choreographer, her own invention, or just a spontaneous move that has turned into a habit, but it's starting to bother me because she does it so often. Otherwise I love her explosive jump takeoff and the speed with which she skates, really reminds me of Midori's early teeneage days.

actually I was thinking the same! I can't stand her head tilt thing, it bothers me. not pretty at all. I think it's her coach.. I remember seeing maybe it was Risa Shoji does the same.. I think they have the same coach?

pitterpatter

On the Ice
actually I was thinking the same! I can't stand her head tilt thing, it bothers me. not pretty at all. I think it's her coach.. I remember seeing maybe it was Risa Shoji does the same.. I think they have the same coach?

I'm hoping its just a choreographic flourish that she's been taught to do upon exiting a jump, and that she'll grow out of it as she gets more sophisticated choreography.

gotoschool

Medalist

I noticed this as well and also think it is detrimental to her aesthetic appeal. This motion seemed to be less pronounced and more appealing at Ostrava, which is my favorite performance of hers. But, it was more pronounced beginning with the exit to her triple lutz in her Nationals freeskate. I much prefer when she just opens her arms wide, holds her head erect and still and looks at the audience on the exit to her jumps as she did several times in the Ostrava freeskate. This style of exit reminds me of Kristi Yamaguchi, who I think is a great skater to emulate in style. Wakaba has such beautiful and symmetrical air position and rotation and great height and power in her jumps. I hope she returns to her Ostrava style quickly before the head swirling becomes an ingrained habit she can't break. I really think her PCS and GOE scores will go up if she does.

Wakaba's Ostrava performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJzQoFXZVI

Last edited: