Here is "Reality" - What do you Love or Hate about your Job? | Golden Skate

Here is "Reality" - What do you Love or Hate about your Job?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Love about my job:

I work as an auxiliary at a College and get the opportunity to work in various depts. I work with a variety of people and enjoy working with the students. I also love learning new things and trying new challenges.

Hate about my job:

Not enough hours to live on at times. Some of the people I work with drive me nuts!!!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good topic Lad. Now I can blow off some steam and not get into trouble.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LIKE: I have worked at my current position for almost 14 years. Over those years, my skilll level has increased so much. I was able to go to college on their bill which was a great accomplishment for me. I am an assistant to two directors who are totally different so my job duties are different each day. I work for a not for profit organization so there is a lot going on every day from fund raising to training program. My salary is OK, not the greatest but I can manage.

DISLIKE:Everyone is a boss where I work. In one department there are 5 employees and 3 directors. The work is not distributed evenly. Some of the directors don't know up from down and are over paid. There is a big gap between the haves and have nots. The people who go places are the butt kissers, which I don't deny them that right, I just think the top dogs are lacking in self esteem if they need that. It can really be disfunctional here. There are so many power plays every day.

Dee

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Does being a stay at home mom/housewife count? If so, I hate not getting paid for all the work I do, I call it slave labor!:laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Does being a stay at home mom/housewife count? If so, I hate not getting paid for all the work I do, I call it slave labor!:laugh:

Of course it counts! A stay at home Mom is equivalent to two full time jobs.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dlkksk8fan said:

Of course it counts!!! You're work is never done. So what do you like and dislike about your job??

Dee

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, I work at an eye doctor's office, I have for about three months now, and for the most part I really enjoy what I do. I work the front desk and deal with people everyday getting their insurance, answering questions, and checking them in for their appts. On that note, here are my answers to the questions.

Like: I enjoy working with people so getting to interact with all the patients is very fun for me. I also LOVE the doctor that I work for because he is laid back, but firm about getting work done; outgoing and fun but also responsible and a great boss. I also have made a great friend there who is around my age which is really nice because I don't have a whole lot of friends who live near me anymore. So that's nice to have a great new friend. :D

Dislike: Sometimes the patients are NOT so fun to interact with and that can be annoying. Also, there is one girl there who is NOT into having new people come work there and she's never really warmed up to me since I've been there. I walk on eggshells around her half the time. That is a bit annoying. :sheesh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great thread.....

What I like.....The childen of course. Second graders are young enough to still like and respect their teacher. They don't, however, always get my "corny" jokes...:D

What I dislike......The mounds of paperwork (and I don't mean papers to grade)....assessments, documents, forms, you name it, we've got it. If parents decide to take their child out of school for a vacation longer than three days, we have to arrange for independent assignments to be completed plus, you got it, more paper work so that it is documented that the same number of classroom hours missed are the same number of hours in assignmnents................42

Last edited:

Aloft04

On the Ice
I absolutely LOVE helping people find the home of their dreams!!

(I absolutely hate that they think I should do it 18 hours a day, 7 days a week and holidays! :sheesh: )

Lucy25

Final Flight
What I love about teaching middle school English:

- The kids are a riot. I laugh every day.
- Hearing them say, "Oh, I get it!" and seeing them so happy with themselves.
- Being able to help mold them into educated young men and women, and hoping they become good citizens. This sounds corny, but it is such a huge responsibility!
- June, July, and August!
- I work from 8:00-2:30 (however, see #5 below)

What I hate about teaching middle school English:

- Parents who think their child is a little darling and can't do anything wrong.
- The paperwork.
- The fact that we have to keep going to school (by law) and have to pay for this continuing education ourselves.
- Lawsuit threats from idiotic parents (see #1).
- All the work I take home, and lesson planning (usually a couple of hours at night and all summer).

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Teachers rock! What I love about teaching 9th grade English--

--the kids, they are totally fab, if a bit squirrely
--my subject matter, gives me a lot of freedom, personal essays allow me to know the kids better
--it's not freakin' retail

what I hate

--the paperwork! Thank you GW Bush, for burying not only the teachers, but the students under piles and piles of standardized tests. What do these tests prove? How good students are at taking tests. Wow, that's helpful. :rolleye:
--parents who think it's my fault their kid is failing. It would help junior's grade a GREAT DEAL if he/she would actually TURN IN an assignment. Just a suggestion...

Laura :)

Chele615

Rinkside
I am a high school special education teacher. I teach kids with everything from severe learning disabilities to Down's Syndrome.

LIKE: I LOVE MY JOB!!! I love working with kids. I have wanted to be a teacher since I was about 4 years old, so I enjoy the fact that I am living my dream. My kids crack me up and being close to their age (I'm 24 and most of my kids are like 17ish) they really seem to like me. I like getting unexpected compliments from parents about how much I do for their child. I like the feeling of accomplishment when helping a student with their work and they make sure to come see me to show me the 80 they got on their math test with a HUGE smile on their face. I like the majority of the people I work with. I like how every day is something different. I like how I have had a lot of the same students for the three years I have been teaching, so I am able to form relationships with them. I love when kids who are juniors or seniors come to me and ask me to write them letters of recommendation for college. I like that the kids trust me enough to come to me when they are having trouble with something. I like that I get a sense of accomplishment at the end of every day.

DISLIKE: I dislike ALL THE PAPERWORK. Unless you are a special education teacher, you have no idea the amount of paperwork people need to do on a daily basis. I dislike how my boss keeps making MORE paperwork to complete on a daily basis. I dislike setting up IEP meetings and having the parents not show up so we have to reschedule them. I dislike that the regular ed teachers think that we let the kids cheat down in the Learning Center. I dislike how some of the other teachers act towards the students. I dislike how teachers do a lot as part of their job description (and tons more that aren't part of their job description) but yet we still get paid significantly less than most other occupations. I dislike the whole "No Child Left Behind Act". It's stupid and a waste because there are some students that just can't make it. I dislike the fact that our kids' graduation and the ability to get a diploma rest so heavily on how they do on a stupid test. I dislike when the kids aren't getting the help they need. I dislike how my resource room is becoming more of a dumping ground for the "behavior" kids so that the kids who really need the extra support and attention aren't getting what they need. I dislike how there is never enough time in the day to do what needs to be done.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Dee4707:

Sounds like where I work! I have been there five years and have seen many people pass me by because they are good at "buttering up the boss."

Where can I sign up for lessons?

Lucy25

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
[B
--parents who think it's my fault their kid is failing. It would help junior's grade a GREAT DEAL if he/she would actually TURN IN an assignment. Just a suggestion...

Laura :) [/B]
But Laura, I am sure there is a good reason little junior did not turn in his assignment. And it is probably all your fault. :p So don't you dare hold him responsible. And he is failing because you don't like him. It has nothing to do with his school work.

:laugh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
That I don't know how much longer I'll have it. I work in the shipping industry and business has slowed way down. The layoffs started after the first of the year and just keep coming. People who haven't been laid off have left in disgust. All my friends have left! :cry:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I hope I still don't say warsh but that is the way my mother pronounced it. She also called recipes receipts. I may have misunderstood and she was saying receepes. ???

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I hope I still don't say warsh but that is the way my mother pronounced it.
GrGranny that is how my mother says it too, "warsh". When I was little I said it too until I knew better.

Kasey

Medalist
Love: Being able to help people at their most vulnerable times of need. It is not just the patients we care for, but their families and friends also. To be someone and something positive in a negative situation, it is the ultimate "good" feeling.

Hate: Lack of respect or being valued by management, and therefore, being the most worthy "Well, let's cut back on this" or "Let's f**k with the nurses". I have heard from management in the past that "nurses do not generate income". Yeah, because, like stay at home moms, how do you put a price on the cost of actually caring and nurturing someone back to health? The lab charges by the draw and the test. Respiratory charges by treatment and hour. PT, OT, CT, all charge by the hour. If nurses charged by the hour for OUR services, the bloated excesses of the healthcare system would go broke in 3 months.

And with all that...the good still WAY outweighs the bad.

Kasey

P.S. sorry to be witchy, we are undergoing change of management right now!

mariana

On the Ice
Well. I work for 3 lawers who represent the province (= to a US State) of Buenos Aires:

I love:
-Learning to do a lawers job, since I'll become a lawer in 3 to 4 years
-That I only work 5 and 1/2 hours
-My co-workers
-the court workers I have met so far
-The fact that I'm able to go to college and work in my future proffetion at the same time
-That it's close to home and that I can be at college in only forty minutes (That's close considering my city is really big)
-That my co-workers can help my with my studies.
:love:
I hate:
-The long time I have to wait before I can see a expedient about a court case
- That I have 3 different bosses
-The amount of extra paperwork I have to do because I'm working at a public office
- The fact that I work for free (because in Argentina, if you want to have a job after you get your degree you have to have been working for free at some public justice office for a number for years. It has been this way since like a 100 years ago, or ever more) :cry:

Last edited: