2014 NHK Trophy Mens Short Program 11/28 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Mens Short Program 11/28

Alba

Record Breaker
Mura nailed it again! Still found the program a little... listless? But I liked it more than its last outing. Guess I got used to it so it feels less choppy.

I don't like him and I don't like the programs. But hey, good skate and well done to him.

The first half of Abbott's skate still makes me want to shut the sound off. Glad he toned down the "woe is me"... but now it just comes across as bland. I'm glad he had a good skate, but I'll never understand why he's hailed as some great artist, or a skater comparable to Yuzuru :unsure: (he was three times better than Yuzuru on the night though).

I agree with you. I don't like his SP at all, but I love his LP (I adore that music), and when he's on I like his skating and enjoy his choreo.

4-2s cost Murakami and Voronov... Honestly, I'd rather see 4-2s than 3-3s, but...

Agree.

Righini put a big smile on my face. :cheer: Loved, loved that program--it takes a real showman to pull it off. (Balde tried something similar, but it wasn't as engaging).

I love his programs. It's entertainment and I enjoy him very much. :yes:

Farris, well... :cry: Fantastic spins (that Adelina-esque sideways position with the catchfoot!), but how on earth did he fall in the footwork?

I actually could see that coming. He looked tired, slow, heavu legs. I suppose he's not in a good physical form. He's back from injury right? He needs more time, but I like what I saw.
It has potential.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I misread the 1 as a 4. I guess the tears messed with my vision. #63notout

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Joshua Farris has a beautiful program and this is the first time I've seen it. Even with the errors, it's got a beautiful flow to it. I'd love to see it done cleanly.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
If anything I am kind of pleased because I know Yuzuru will not have a clean skate by tomorrow. And I have counted too many comments saying that they would rather not see Yuzuru in GPF because they are worried about his condition. JSF admitted that he is still suffering from pains.

Oh my gosh...and you call yourself a fan? Have you ever given consideration to how Yuzu feels and what Yuzu might want? Must you constantly express your negative energy regarding him?

He was practicing fairly well on Wednesday from what I saw (landed quads, etc.), and along with the doctor's go ahead it made sense that he would compete. Are you a MD? How is it you know better than the doctor's attending him? It might help him if you stopped with all the negativity already. :bang:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone done an Edward scissor hands routine? Both Yuzuru and Mura were kind of channeling an Edward Scissor Hands vibe IMO. That's no disrespect because I love that movie and the music in it and like both skaters. But come on..the borderline pixie haircuts and costuming was similar and very cool if you ask me. :)

I thought Joanie(sp) was atrocious and her slamming of Voronov and blatent personal opinions were very inappropriate. She said he always skated the same style of programs but really...if we only judge what we see on the ice in that day....then how is that relevant to this event. She was praying for low scores for him and I found it very distasteful. TBC...there are no rules in ISU scoring guidelines that state a skater must change and grow from season to season or that any programs you've ever skated should be considered in a different event/season. While I don't think average people like us need to be held to such reasonable standards...A fair broadcaster/representative of the sport should be... at least in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I thought Joanie(sp) was atrocious and her slamming of Voronov and blatent personal opinions were very inappropriate. She said he always skated the same style of programs but really...if we only judge what we see on the ice in that day....then how is that relevant to this event. She was praying for low scores for him and I found it very distasteful. TBC...there are no rules in ISU scoring guidelines that state a skater must change and grow from season to season or that any programs you've ever skated should be considered in a different event/season. While I don't think average people like us need to be held to such reasonable standards...A fair broadcaster/representative of the sport should at least in my humble opinion.

Agreed. And it's an unfair judgment anyway. Sure, some elements are the same program to program, but that's true for probably most skaters - you want to showcase your strengths, obviously. But I don't think his SP and LP are anything alike at all, and he's done everything from Schindler's List to a cute sports program where he was dressed like a soccer ball, plus the usual R&J, tango, etc. He's not skating to "The Matrix" for the umpteenth time (and I love Joubert, but...).

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What happened to the two nice gentlemen who did the commentary as late as last season? I liked them, they always had something positive to say, even if they occasionally bungled the facts.

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh my gosh...and you call yourself a fan?

Yes he is. Do you have a recipe of what and how a true fan should feel and write? :rolleye:

Have you ever given consideration to how Yuzu feels and what Yuzu might want? Must you constantly express your negative energy regarding him?

He is expressing his feelings and opinion here. He is not speaking on Yuzuru's behalf.
Some fans worries too much, and some not. Some are optimistic and others are pessimistic, or afraid.
He is not bashing or offending him. He's just concerned. So what's the problem?

lakeside

On the Ice
Yes, I remember Voronov's soccer program and last season's tango program, both very diffrent from the danse macabre program this season.

I'm not getting the Hanyu vs. Abbott comparisons at this competition. One skated well the other made a lot of errors. One is 2nd and the other is in 5th.
Maybe people like to compare them because they're the skaters with good skating skills and artistry at this comp. Others like Mura and Voronov are technically strong but they're not the same type of skaters people would love to compare to Hanyu and Abbott?

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, Joanne is the one who commentated TEB last year.
I don't know what happened to her? I like her last year. :disapp:

MalAssada

Medalist
Meoima is a guy? :hijacked:

Anyway. I agree that Meoima is concerned for Yuzuru, not hoping for him to lose. He probably sees the not qualifying to the GPF as a way to help Yuzuru recover from his injuries before Nats.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Meoima is a guy? :hijacked:
Anyway. I agree that Meoima is concerned for Yuzuru, not hoping for him to lose. He probably sees the not qualifying to the GPF as a way to help Yuzuru recover from his injuries before Nats.
:hijacked: yes, I think not getting into GPF will be good for Yuzuru health. Obviously I know he very much wants it. So yes, he will be sad. But heck... Life is like that, it's not like you will always get what you want.

And lol... I didn't even mention one word about the comparison between Yuzuru and Jeremy. :laugh2: how the hell some people thought of it I am just :rofl:

I wish Jeremy a decent skate because he is not getting any younger, he needs it. About skating skills and artistry let's just say Jeremy is not my cup of tea. But why should I waste my time using all the negative words to bring him down like some posters here are doing to other skaters, especially Yuzuru, who is currently in 5th place while Jeremy is in 2nd place. :rolleye:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've decided Joshua's catch-foot camel is my favourite "new" spin position of the season, narrowly beating out Max's rather excellent new attitude position.

I'm just still trying to figure out how it actually works in the realm of physics and biomechanics.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Joshua is mesmerizing and gets better in his presentation all the time. Loved his SP, problems and all. I really hope his falls here were not related to his ankle injury. Has there been any hint that his ankle is still a problem, does anyone know? Also, is it the same ankle that he fractured and skated on back when he was.with Tom Z?