2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I dont believe that you can win an event in the SP but oddly enough I'm pretty sure you can lose one. :bang:

#WhyPolinaWhy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One encouraging thing about Polina's SP: she got the highest PCS score of all the ladies in the first flight, despite her jump problems. Her spins and footwork were well done and she didn't give up on her program, so she was rewarded for that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Good for Gold for winning the SP - but that's only 33% of the battle. She'll have to skate just as well in the FS, even if she doesn't ultimately win, if she wants the GPF.

As for Edmunds, such is growing pains. I foresaw that this would happen. Unfortunately for her, if you MUST screw up somewhere it's better to do it in the FS and not the SP, and she just buried any remote chance of a medal. Even top 5 would be accomplishment now. Reminds me of Wagner's SP issues when she came on the scene (wow, feels like so long ago)

luvsasha

Final Flight
Sorry Nobu, but I totally laughed out loud watching that clip. It's fun to see some Evan shade, especially considering the PR machine he would become later. I still love Nobu. What a sweet soul. :) I miss him!

Me too! Wow, that is a long time ago. Remember when 74 and 142 were really good scores? Wow, times have changed.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Polina is young and talented. She has plenty of time to adjust, make experience etc.
In sport like in life sometimes you lose sometimes you win. You have bad days, or bad seasons.
I was reading a very interesting interview with Maurizio Margaglio right now, and he said something which is so true, and yet we don't think much about that.
He said: "I realized as an athlete you do not win a lot. You lose a lot. Valentino Rossi is probably the best racer in history.
But if you look at the statistics, he did not win even 50 percent of the races in which participated."

FS fans tend to make too much "tragedy" (very much like football fans actually :biggrin:) out of a bad skate, or bad season. But skaters have proved us wrong so many times. :)

I wouldn't worry about her right now. She has just started.

Absolutely, and thanks for this perspective, Alba. Even Polina tried to smile in the kiss 'n cry. Dick Button has often said no skater can avoid going through the perils of a difficult patch or competition. Better Polina get the jitters out now and learn from these experiences.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Polina is young and talented. She has plenty of time to adjust, make experience etc.
In sport like in life sometimes you lose sometimes you win. You have bad days, or bad seasons.
I was reading a very interesting interview with Maurizio Margaglio right now, and he said something which is so true, and yet we tend to forget.
He said: "I realized as an athlete you do not win a lot. You lose a lot. Valentino Rossi is probably the best racer in history. But if you look at the statistics, he did not win even 50 percent of the races in which participated."
FS fans tend to make too much "tragedy" out of a bad skate, or bad season. Very much like football fans actually, which is very interesting and funny to me, being a fan of both sports. :biggrin: .
But skaters have proved us wrong so many times. :)
I wouldn't worry about her right now. She has just started.
:thumbsup: Polina is just 16. If she can get through puberty she is pretty much the real deal!!
Maybe her SP has some problem in term of choreography?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am rather late to this thread... not had time to watch the NHK until briefly today.

Anyway, just want to say Kanako's SP has the performance of the competition for me! And she totally remind me of this

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1b/96/75/1b9675b5798599e015e89ba0e9983749.jpg

It is nice to see Kanako's mark climbed up 4 points from CoC where she got 60 vs 67 (Liza) vs 69 (Yulia) for putting out the same 3T3T here.

If it is up to me, I'd have the top 3 ALOT closer. I'd have Gold at 65 (Lower PCS than Alena and Kanako, but should have higher TES with the 3lz3T), Alena 63.60 (higher PCS than Gold, but she got rather generous GOEs here), Kanako 64 (home advantage, and higher PCS than Gold. And the fact I just like this program more, although Alena's package works too for her). It is ridiculous a decent true 3lz3T vs a well done 3t3t is only worth 0.5 difference.

It is interesting to look at the judging... Kanako got 6.75 for transition from a judge who seems trying to minimise her the most.

If Gold go head to head with Elena at their bests, I think she deserve the lead over Elena based on athleticism and superior program. Her lines, posturing are more refined and matured too (put upon / directed way rather than inherent). Elena is wild and free and full of attacks at the moment but it is still rather Junior to my eyes.

Last edited: