Ladies Step Sequences | Golden Skate

Ladies Step Sequences

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Kind of a fun question --

Who's going to be the first lady (of the current batch of skaters) to consistently perform a level 4 step in the free skate?

Globetrotter

Medalist
This is going to be tough. I just dun see any of the current crop of Tsarinas and anybody else with the level of basic skating skills plus edge control who can attack the step sequence with speed and reach level 4. We were lucky in the last quad to have Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner. One is a light and ephemeral skater, the other is the statuesque queen of steps. Both of them had good edges n control n speed. I think Kostner was the first female credited with level 4 steps but can't remember which competition. At the moment, I will put my bet on either Tuktamysheva or Sotnikova to hit the level 4s

desertskates

Medalist
I agree with Globetrotter. I love Tuktamysheva's steps in her long this year, my vote is for her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went back and looked at JGP to see if any of them were hitting StSeq4. Just to see what the future holds and yes I know these skaters are young and inexperienced and have room to improve but they will be seniors before you know it.

Serafima got level 4 on both her SP and FS at Ljubljana. Both had +2 GOE almost across the board. In her next event in Japan she made mistakes and only got level 3 in both.

Evegenia consistently gets StSeq3's

Maria Sotskova got a level 4 in both her SP and LP in Croatia. Not as good +GOE as Serafima though.

Wakaba got three level 3's and a level 2 in her events.

Elizabet Turzyanbaeva also got a level 4 in her SP in Germany

In terms of SS scores.....

Serafima was the only one breaking 7's and the rest mentioned above averaged 6.5 to 6.76. Karen Chen had a few scores pushing 7's also!!

I think Serafima will continue to rack up level 4's even as a senior. She likely has the best SS's and steps of any Junior and is better than a lot of seniors.

Maria Sotskova can offer level 4 too and she does it with a certain grace that I think many people will enjoy.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I looked at the seniors really fast and noticed Radionova, Pogorilya, Satoko got level 4's this season.

Satoko has very strong SS and well executed steps. Of the current seniors I'd put my money on her as being the most likely to score level 4's consistently.

Can I just say this? Unless it is Mao Asada skating..... I much prefer to see a good level 3 StSeq. I rarely enjoy any StSeq as it is but at least Mao had conviction and power to hers. On top of that...the only way to achieve level 4 is by doing a quantity of turns and steps and in a certain amount of directions. WTH is beautiful about that? Level 3's seem to flow so much better and are often less rushed IMHO. :)

I'm probably in the minority here but I just don't like the way StSeq's are scored and find it to be the area of CoP scoring that most needs to be revamped.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Probably Satoko. She actually has excellent skating skills so she hits all the required edges on her step sequence. Between her step sequence and reverse spins, it's obvious that she can skate any which way she likes. :)

supsu

On the Ice
Do all the (top) skaters try to get level 4 in their step sequences or do some decide beforehand that they probably can't pull of a level 4 with quality so they go with lower level? Also, what are the base values in step sequences? (I'm sorry, but i'm too lazy to check) :drama:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do all the (top) skaters try to get level 4 in their step sequences or do some decide beforehand that they probably can't pull of a level 4 with quality so they go with lower level? Also, what are the base values in step sequences? (I'm sorry, but i'm too lazy to check) :drama:

Step and Choreographic Sequences
Step Sequence BV
Level B StSqB 1.5
Level 1 StSq1 1.8
Level 2 StSq2 2.6
Level 3 StSq3 3.3
Level 4 StSq4 3.9
Choreo Sequence
ChSq 2.0

There are many skaters who only attempt level 3 StSeq. If you get +2 GOE on a StSeq3 it is worth 4.3pts as opposed to +0 GOE for a StSeq4 worth 3.9pts. Sometimes less done well is more :clap:

Page three of THIS is what I refrenced.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Probably Satoko. She actually has excellent skating skills so she hits all the required edges on her step sequence. Between her step sequence and reverse spins, it's obvious that she can skate any which way she likes. :)

I love Satoko's skating--I think she's one of the most beautiful skaters right now!! So graceful, musical, whimsical!!

Franklin99

Medalist
I looked at the seniors really fast and noticed Radionova, Pogorilya, Satoko got level 4's this season.

Satoko has very strong SS and well executed steps. Of the current seniors I'd put my money on her as being the most likely to score level 4's consistently.

Can I just say this? Unless it is Mao Asada skating..... I much prefer to see a good level 3 StSeq. I rarely enjoy any StSeq as it is but at least Mao had conviction and power to hers. On top of that...the only way to achieve level 4 is by doing a quantity of turns and steps and in a certain amount of directions. WTH is beautiful about that? Level 3's seem to flow so much better and are often less rushed IMHO. :)

I'm probably in the minority here but I just don't like the way StSeq's are scored and find it to be the area of CoP scoring that most needs to be revamped.

Satoko's StSeq this season is lovely, almost as intricate as Mao. Caro and Mao are my too favorites when it comes to ladies StSeq. One (Caro) for her lines and edges. And the other (Mao) for musicality and intricate footworks.

Barb

Record Breaker
I came to appreciate step seq because Mao, before I thought skaters were just walking on the ice in the SS. Thanks to her I can appreciate the beauty of step seq in ice dancing, for me it is hypnotizing how they can move their blades and bodies at rhythm of the music, in singles no one is so musical in my opinion. I think Satoko and Yulia have potential.

Last edited:

supsu

On the Ice
Step and Choreographic Sequences
Step Sequence BV
Level B StSqB 1.5
Level 1 StSq1 1.8
Level 2 StSq2 2.6
Level 3 StSq3 3.3
Level 4 StSq4 3.9
Choreo Sequence
ChSq 2.0

There are many skaters who only attempt level 3 StSeq. If you get +2 GOE on a StSeq3 it is worth 4.3pts as opposed to +0 GOE for a StSeq4 worth 3.9pts. Sometimes less done well is more :clap:

Page three of THIS is what I refrenced.

Thanks! :eek::

Globetrotter

Medalist
I came to appreciate step seq because Mao, before I thought skaters were just walking on the ice in the SS.

I personally love the step sequence. For me, the steps was the discriminator between the good and the very good skaters. It is a perfect tool to check basic skating skills and musicality. For me, the first step sequence which caught my eye was Irina Slutskaya in the SP of World's 2000 when she flew across the diagonal on the steps to Apassionata. Beauty beauty. While I appreciate that Kwan had better lines and sophistication, her steps never had the power and flow and speed like Slutskaya although she clearly had superior spirals with secure edges. Of course the one foot steps of Slutskaya in SLC 2002 SP was breathtaking and terribly difficult with its great speed. In COP, I can't choose which I prefer, the musicality and joy of Asada's step sequence or the sheer beauty and deep edges and direction changes of Kostner, so secure in her basics. These two were certainly superior to Yuna Kim when it came to steps and they generally score high in GOEs on this. I think Kostner and Asada were the only skaters male or female to have received perfect GOEs on their StSq4. I have rewatched Satoko Miyahara on youtube and yes, I love her edge security and multidirectional skating and spins. I believe with maturity, she may be able to reach the levels achieved by Asada or Kostner.

francefox

Rinkside
This may be a bit off topic

but sometimes there are instances where a lvl 4 step sequence is a bit less artistic specially when they're doing the movement for the sake of getting lvl 4, I mean the movements are too noisy (if that makes sense).

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
On the junior level I actually think Evgenia's steps are smooth. Serafima's skating is very jerky; her advance is her speed
Senior ladies I root for Adelina, the only lady's steps that remind of the intricacy & difficulty & speed of Mao. Her steps may not be called exactly "pretty" but are very demanding. I believe if you ask other top ladies to perform Adeline's steps they are going to fall or behind the music.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
It's surprising that no one is talking about Akiko. She's one of the skaters that's been showering us with such amazing SP AND LP programs, not just the step sequence! Although her edges aren't as deep as Carolina's and her choreography as intricate as Mao's (or is it? :think:), her step sequences are simply divine and full of life. I also wished that Akiko got the PCS she truly deserved internationally and domestically.

I find Akiko's programs most enjoyable (and most watchable- that between Yuna's :laugh:) because I feel like her programs are just one big step sequences where her jumps are seamlessly integrated. I don't think I can say that about the other skaters.

First Skate

Rinkside
It's surprising that no one is talking about Akiko. She's one of the skaters that's been showering us with such amazing SP AND LP programs, not just the step sequence! Although her edges aren't as deep as Carolina's and her choreography as intricate as Mao's (or is it? :think:), her step sequences are simply divine and full of life. I also wished that Akiko got the PCS she truly deserved internationally and domestically.

I find Akiko's programs most enjoyable (and most watchable- that between Yuna's :laugh:) because I feel like her programs are just one big step sequences where her jumps are seamlessly integrated. I don't think I can say that about the other skaters.

:points: I was just about to mention Akiko!