Entries at 2015 US Figure Skating Championships Now Known | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries at 2015 US Figure Skating Championships Now Known

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, Doris! BTW, I have my wire bound media guide with the major players' pages that show all of their specs and a lovely color pic, which I purchased at great expense. And, being high up in the ranks of the USFS (smirk) I also have the same 167 page guide on PDF, which I could put on my phone/tablet/desktop/bag phone, whatever. ....

A question for you, Chris:

Do your media guides spell out the selection procedure for the team for 2015 Worlds?

Wondering whether the 2015 procedure is basically analogous to the 2014 procedure. I'm guessing that the 2015 procedure would include consideration also of Sochi results, but otherwise does it parallel the 2014 procedure?

The 2014 procedure was:
U.S. TEAM — ATHLETE SELECTION
The athlete selection procedure for the 2014 World Championships is as follows:
The winner in each discipline (ladies, men’s, pairs and ice dance) at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 5-12, in Boston, will earn an automatic spot on the 2014 World Team. The remaining team members in each discipline will be selected by U.S. Figure Skating’s International Committee, taking into consideration the results of events in the following order of importance:
  • 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
  • 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Skaters who do not compete at the 2014 U.S. Championships due to injury or illness, but who meet the other criteria, may also be considered for selection.

Sorry that I have no clue about a PDF editor.
Hope that someone else can help you.

In any case, have fun in Greensboro. Look forward to your reports, as always.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If less than 4 teams sign up to compete at a specific Sectionals, a team can choose not to compete and still be eligible to go to Nationals.

In Seniors, there were only two Pairs and three Dance teams at Eastern and Midwestern Sectionals, and only one Pair at Pacific Sectionals. In Pairs, then, Tarah Kayne / Daniel O’Shea, Gretchen Donlan / Nathan Bartholomay, and Cali Fujimoto / Nicholas Barsi-Rhyne can go to Nationals; in Dance, Anastasia Cannuscio / Colin McManus, Kristen Nardozzi / Nick Traxler and Gabriela Morrell Zucker / Andrejs Sitiks are eligible to compete.

No Junior Pairs signed up for Pacific Sectionals, so Ai Setoyama / David Botero and Elise Middleton / Anthony Evans can compete at Nationals.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will defer to chuckm, but what you stated is exactly what is in the 2015 media guide, with no mention of Olys. on Page 20. With the years changed, of course.
So, if I had won the Olympics, like Charlie did, it doesn't guarantee me anything....
BUT, and I am not a lawyer, COULD the committee put Davis and White on the world team???? Do they have the power? The Russians can take a wonderful new dance team and put then right on the GP circuit....
A question for you, Chris:

Do your media guides spell out the selection procedure for the team for 2015 Worlds?

Wondering whether the 2015 procedure is basically analogous to the 2014 procedure. I'm guessing that the 2015 procedure would include consideration also of Sochi results, but otherwise does it parallel the 2014 procedure?

The 2014 procedure was:
U.S. TEAM — ATHLETE SELECTION
The athlete selection procedure for the 2014 World Championships is as follows:
The winner in each discipline (ladies, men’s, pairs and ice dance) at the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 5-12, in Boston, will earn an automatic spot on the 2014 World Team. The remaining team members in each discipline will be selected by U.S. Figure Skating’s International Committee, taking into consideration the results of events in the following order of importance:
  • 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
  • 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships
  • 2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
Skaters who do not compete at the 2014 U.S. Championships due to injury or illness, but who meet the other criteria, may also be considered for selection.

Sorry that I have no clue about a PDF editor.
Hope that someone else can help you.

In any case, have fun in Greensboro. Look forward to your reports, as always.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I will defer to chuckm, but what you stated is exactly what is in the 2015 media guide, with no mention of Olys. on Page 20. With the years changed, of course.
So, if I had won the Olympics, like Charlie did, it doesn't guarantee me anything....
BUT, and I am not a lawyer, COULD the committee put Davis and White on the world team???? Do they have the power? The Russians can take a wonderful new dance team and put then right on the GP circuit....

Thanks very much for the official scoop per USFS, Chris. :bow:

Intriguing that Olympic results are not mentioned as part of the 2015 selection procedure. :think:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Actually, after a bit of thought, I am cool with the procedure....I can not express why but I think the OLYs should be left out.....

Intriguing that Olympic results are not mentioned as part of the 2015 selection procedure. :think:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist

I thought at one time they were, but maybe that was just a criteria for a bye to nationals. Didn't Sarah Hughes get a bye to Nationals in 2003 due to winning the Olympics? As far as I remember she didn't compete in 2002 Worlds or any of the GP in 2002.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think that's correct. Olympic medalists get a bye to nationals for the quad after they received their medals?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Pre-Nats media teleconferences with skaters have started.

The first one (AFAIK) was today with Polina Edmunds.

Hope icenetwork eventually will post audio of the media calls, as it has in the past.

ETA: @IntoSkating and @LynnRutherford tweeted Polina quotes.​

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think that's correct. Olympic medalists get a bye to nationals for the quad after they received their medals?

I seem to remember this discussion coming up around Lysacek, and the consensus was that yes, he still had a bye to Nationals even for 2014, so I guess that would be so.

I don't know for sure, but Meryl and Charlie seem to be enjoying their year off; I doubt they'd come back just for Worlds!

The Russians can take a wonderful new dance team and put then right on the GP circuit....

There are official rules about split couples that the Russians followed. As the Americans did with Leng/Shnapir. No, the Russians did not do something shady as your post clearly implies.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I seem to remember this discussion coming up around Lysacek, and the consensus was that yes, he still had a bye to Nationals even for 2014, so I guess that would be so.

I'm pretty sure Evan had to skate a Sr. B competition by Dec 2013 to qualify for Nationals 2014. He was planning to do so, but was never able to because of his hip injury. :eek:hwell:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Evan had to skate a Sr. B competition by Dec 2013 to qualify for Nationals 2014. ...

I don't think so. The Senior B would have been necessary to earn the minimum TES for the Olympics. Not to qualify for Nats, IIRC.

In general, skaters qualify for the U.S. Championships in one of six ways:
  • Placing in the top four at the current season's sectional championships
  • Placing in the top five in a senior event at the previous year's U.S. Championships
  • Winning a medal at the most recent Olympic Winter Games
  • Winning a medal at the previous year's World Championships
  • Advancing to the current season's Grand Prix Final or Junior Grand Final
  • Earning an "international bye" based on proximity of an international assignment in the current season to the sectional championships
http://usfigureskating.org/Events.asp?id=490

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Hugs to (((Jeremy)));;;; I just wish that he doesn't pressure himself out, doesn't think about results or placements, but that he will skate for his love for skating, though of course I know it won't be easy at all.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I believe Ai Setoyama broke her ankle and will be off the ice for 3 or more months. Sad news and I hope she and her partner stay together and come back next season.

What happened to Ai Setoyama and David Botero? Someone said they withdrew...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I found this entries/results page. Quick question: What does intermediate stand for?

Thank you for finding the link!!! :bow:

I'll add it to the original post in the Predictions Game thread now.

Now all we need is for the Senior entry lists to be added...

As for your question, I am not sure. But the Intermediate Pairs competition is on now, and I looked up some of the entries.

Intermediate is definitely above Juvenile, as some of the skaters I found have past results at Juvenile level. And it's definitely below Junior, as from the videos/pictures I found, the skaters are far too young! But, I have no idea which side of Novice it is.

But, given the order the results of last year's US Nationals are listed on Wikipedia, I would guess that Intermediate is the level between Juvenile and Novice.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Quick question: What does intermediate stand for?

Not sure what your question means by "stand for?" But if the following helps, re rules within the U.S.:
Skaters move up the ranks thru Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior, Senior.
Juvenile single skaters must be under age 13 and Juvenile pairs/dancers under age 16. Intermediate skaters must be under age 18. (Prior to regionals.)
Novice, Junior, and Senior levels don't have age restrictions.​

Not sure if all the test information at the link below is up to date, but the chart shows the general idea:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks CLfan and Golden!

So, if you can't do the (more difficult?) novice test you can stay as intermediate until you are 18?

I wondered because the Swedish twins John and Greta Crafoord compete as intermediates in pairs. I think they are 14 years old. And I now see... they are in second place after short :clap:

Thank you for finding the link!!! :bow:

I'll add it to the original post in the Predictions Game thread now.

CaroLiza_fan

I think the entries/results has been posted in many threads already. It's just confusing to find the information you want among the 32 threads :laugh: By the way here is the official web site.

To do or not to do the Prediction Game... It's so exhausting :biggrin: