If You Became a Fan During [insert system]... | Golden Skate

If You Became a Fan During [insert system]...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Whichever judging system was in place when you first became a figure skating fan, do you think you would have become a fan had the other system been in place at the time? There are many factors that go into whether we become fans or not (if we skate ourselves, who is skating on TV that we become captivated by, amount/quality of TV coverage, personal circumstances, etc). This is a hypothetical question, but I thought it would be interesting to bring up.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not intended to be a discussion of "6.0/COP is better" but more a discussion of our habits, desires, and rationales as figure skating fans.

So, let me start with myself: I became a fan in 1996 when Michelle Kwan emerged. Obviously, this was during 6.0 and also during the Terry/Dick/Peggy commentary days (with no YouTube/online options back then, I didn't have access to other commentators). As we know, Dick was quite an opinionated commentator but also quite knowledgeable. He would say whether a spin was centered, whether a skater had good extension or good positions. And of course he would point out the various types of jumps. I also grew up with Scott Hamilton's excitement during the Olympics and liked it (now I think it's OTT, but when you're young it keeps you engaged). 6.0 emphasized clean programs. Because Michelle was so consistent, I grew up thinking that it was easy to skate clean programs. I didn't start watching ice dance at all until B&A so I missed all the craziness of 6.0 ice dance judging. There was SO MUCH skating on American TV in the 1990s, including more fluff pieces/interviews. It was easy to remember that 6.0 was a perfect score but I never bothered to learn the intricacies of the system. I only knew that "the top 3 controlled their own destiny in the FS" because the commentators said so. I know way more about COP than I ever did about 6.0. (I'm older, the internet is available, COP is more quantifiable, protocols are readily available).

With all this said, I don't think I would have become a new figure skating fan with COP in place. I recognized Patrick Chan's strong basics because of what I remember Dick Button saying for all those 6.0 years. By the time COP came along, I was already a fan so I just continued being a fan. I know enough about my own tastes now that I don't "need" the commentators as I once did. I was motivated to learn about COP because I was already a figure skating fan. TV coverage is nowhere near what it once was in the U.S. so it's not likely I would be watching any now if I hadn't been a fan since 6.0. Plus, no Michelle Kwan in COP. ;)

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes. I would be a fan under any system as long as there were skaters I liked watching. It took me awhile to understand COP, but not understanding didn't prohibit me from enjoying the skating.

I watched very sporadically during the 6.0 era, before Youtube, so it was limited to what I saw on US tv. I liked Rudy Galindo, but most of the other US men after him were extremely boring (for my taste), so I paid no more attention until Johnny Weir became popular and started showing up on tv shows, in magazines, etc. By Vancouver I was very interested, and through Youtube I also got to know about Plushenko, Daisuke, Joubert, Lambiel, etc. and I was sold. Now they're all gone (well...maybe not Plushy ;)), but I found plenty of new skaters to love, so I will be a fan for the foreseeable future, at least.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I never really gave that much thought to be honest, I love to see skaters who get to my heart and entertain me, their score or what others think about them, doesn't matter to me. I have skaters who come 20th in a competition and yet I love them ;)

Personally I think the 6.0 time offered more freedom and art than the todays system, especially in the men's bracket.

That said, Susanna was amazing with both systems and I believe a lot depends on the skaters personality as well. Finnish girls never disappoint me and no matter what judging system will come in the future, it will always be my favorite nation in FS ;) Once the Fins decide to not skate anymore I will retire as well *laughs* or I switch to my second favorite Nation the Canadians!

Alba

Record Breaker
It was the 6.0 when I became a fan.
Anyway to answer your question: Yes, I would've become a fan even with COP (although I'm not a fan of COP, never was), because I love this sport.

dress

On the Ice
I became a fan when I was a little girl. My mom and I used to watch figure skating when it was broadcasted on prime time. It was during the 6.0 era. I remember watching the rivalry between yagudin/plushenko. I also remember elvis stojko, michelle kwan, sacha cohen...

I remember the 6.0 era, and I'm not old.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I... don't know? I'm a much bigger follower of FS today than I ever was under 6.0 (back then it was just Michelle Kwan for me, and maybe 'those two Russian guys' :laugh:). But I don't know if I would've become a fan if 6.0 hadn't laid the early groundwork for me. I can't even remember many of the performances I watched as a kid, but I came away with the impression, "Figure skating is beautiful."

Would I have that same impression if I'd never watched 6.0 figure skating? I'm not sure. TV coverage isn't as good now. And if I didn't already have favourable thoughts about figure skating, perhaps I would've turned the TV off halfway through the Vancouver men's splatfest--never realizing the teenager with the Biellmann from SLC is still competing and turned in a good performance.

6.0 emphasized clean programs. Because Michelle was so consistent, I grew up thinking that it was easy to skate clean programs.
This, pretty much. This is why I had such a favourite impression of FS--because the reigning queen always skated beautifully. But I think it's also why some people left--my own family members included. They got spoiled by too many clean performances.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I've been following skating as a major fanboy since 1984. I enjoyed the freedom and to see the good dancers in whatever discipline put out great programs.

I can honestly say that if it was COP when I first turned the tube on, I would have turned it off. There is so little freedom, and splatfests are still able to place or even win. That never would have happened under 6.0.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I came in when it was already IJS. Funnily enough, my very first experience was Vancouver, and my very first major emotional reaction to skating was to yell "No! That's wrong!" at the TV when Plushenko's ranking came up after the FS.

I think both systems have their flaws, and both systems have produced magic programs and great skaters. But I also think that it's only now that we're really seeing the first groups of skaters at the Senior level who were effectively raised under IJS - not ones who made the transition relatively late.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I came in when it was already IJS. Funnily enough, my very first experience was Vancouver, and my very first major emotional reaction to skating was to yell "No! That's wrong!" at the TV when Plushenko's ranking came up after the FS.

I think both systems have their flaws, and both systems have produced magic programs and great skaters. But I also think that it's only now that we're really seeing the first groups of skaters at the Senior level who were effectively raised under IJS - not ones who made the transition relatively late.

Same here. I came to love the sport in 2010 when IJS was facing controversy over quads. I was mesmerised by Tessa and Scott in the Dance as well as Cheltzie Lee's SP to feeling good.
When I began following, I really didn't care much about the scoring but what the skating made me feel but over time I learned the system and how it works to a great extent. It takes time though...for me it took three years to understand the system.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I started watch FS in tho 6.0 era and was interested only during the olymipcs. Then after an absence of about 10 years I started watching again from 2012. What hooked me though, was not the scoring system old or new, but the performances put out by Daisuke and Yuzuru at the 2012 Worlds. And after that other skaters caught my eye and I became a fan who watches most of the competitions including the junior ones.
So it's not the system for me, it is the skaters.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I started watching fs in the 6.0 era. We always watched it during the winter Olympics, but 1988 Calgary was the turning point for us. We regret that we didn't follow the sport fully between 1984-1988, but there was no going back after 1988, when we started watching everything. I think I would still be a fan of the sport had I started with Cop, even though I still prefer the 6.0 system. It's more about the skaters for us.

francefox

Rinkside
This is how i found my love watching figure skating

Before, I never knew what figure skating is, but I know Yuna and Mao asada because they were rivals based on the news but i never knew their skills and talent, i just knew that they're famous.

And then I was bored watching my regular show and then turned the tv to winter olympics, It was already freeskate and skater no.14 was about to perform and I kinda thought this is kinda boring too lol same with skater no. 13

And then I saw Mao asada, and I was thinking Hmm i thought this girl is like the contender of yuna kim? wasn't top skaters supposed to skate at the last group but heck I don't know anything about figure skating, so I watched her

so as i was watching her, my feet started to feel cold and sweaty like I was part of the competition lol and at the end of her routine I was like wow, i never seen any performance like this and i'm not even a fan of figure skating but this girl mao
just caught my attention. And so I finished the remaining competitors and had the same reaction with Carolina Kostner and yuna kim too. And I was initiated lol...

alebi

Medalist
I became a fan during the 6.0 era (mid '90s) and followed till 2002 (then for various reasons I didn't watch anymore till Torino Olympics). But I was more a fan of some skaters and never tried to understand the 6.0 system or the different aspects of FS (I was young.. just watching because there were Kwan but especially Yagudin... :hopelessness: ). Then I became a great fan again thanks to Asada and Kim, when we were already in the COP system. But this time I wanted to understand the things and now, with everything in my mind, I'm able to appreciate FS not just because of one skater.

I know way more about COP than I ever did about 6.0. (I'm older, the internet is available, COP is more quantifiable, protocols are readily available).

So, for me, the points system didn't affect my love for FS at all, but I feel that now, with the new system, TV commentators have to be more technical if they want people to understand this sport or the majority will never realize why a "non perfect" program can still win. For this reason I think that now their job is more difficult, they have a bigger and concrete role in spreading love for FS, they just can't stay there and talk about their emotions. But honestly I don't see this trend everywhere and it doesn't help.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I couldn't say I was a fan when I was small. I watched FS at home with my mother and to be fair I forgot most skaters of that era by the time I entered college. But well, I remember enjoying Kwan very much because she had special presence on ice. And 6.0 system was not that difficult to understand. I love Yagudin and Plushy ear since by that time I started to get more of what FS was.
I has started more research in CoP at Vancouver, but still not enough to follow FS extensively (for example I didn't watch ladies, pair and ice dances much). But now I am trying to follow all disciplines.

desertskates

Medalist
I became a fan during the Nancy/Tonya debacle. It was mainstream news, but the actual skating is what caught my attention. I was hooked then and there. That was obviously during the 6.0 era, but I watched and paid attention as the COP was ushered in and it did throw me off for a year or two, but now it's just what I'm used to. I would definitely have become a fan under COP as well, I just love skating! I have never paid a whole lot of attention to dance until last year, so I'm just starting to understand how that is scored, but I'll get it over time :)

tommyk75

Rinkside
The '88 Olympics was the first time I paid attention to skating, and I was hooked for life. More than anything, I was struck by the wide variety of styles on display (Witt's sultriness, Ito's exuberance and unreal jumps, Trenary's jazzy style, Manley's spunk, etc.). But yeah, the COP makes having an individual style almost impossible, so I don't think skating would've grabbed my interest nearly as much if I was first exposed to it in the current era. Why try to make art when you can just go after points instead?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it doesn't look like another old timer will jump in, so ....

I started following figure skating in 70 or 71, as a young pup. Not only 6.0, but 6.0 with schools. So you need to divide which 6.0 era you're talking about.

I did not become a fan because of Trixi Schuba's mastery of figure eights, but when I first saw Janet Lynn. Then I found the men, and I also did not become a fan of any of the masters of figure eights, to say the least. Luckily, the Janet Lynns and the Tollers were given plenty of air time and were followed whether or not they were winning gold. And were able to captivate the fans.

I do not know if skaters have the same strength today to resist the system ("It's a sport! you must jump!") as they did back in the day ("it's a sport! you must trace figure eights!"). So perhaps if today were my only experience, I would not be as initially captivated.... but as long as some skaters do, then I will track them down, find them and follow them.:cheer:

I. too, remember the figures era well. Audiences were not much interested in watching skaters trace figure eights, but in so far as skating is also a participatory sport, the skaters liked mastering the required skills. I can imagine Trixie Schuba leaving the ice ice after a figures session giving Janet Lynn and Karen Magnussen an in-your-face look that said, "You know you can't touch that, chumps!"

As for free skating, the point was that after you learn how to control your edges (and not fall down!), then you could put your skills to the service of a performing arts program. I think that step is what's missing from competitive skating today. Obviously, in any kind of add-up-the-points system of scoring, the goal will be to rack up the most possible points. How could it be otherwise?

But mastering quads, intricate transitional footwork, spins with elaborate changes of position, etc. :rock: -- that's only the second-to-the-last step. Now -- can you put these skills to the service of an artistic performance? It seems like most skaters are stuck at "look what I can do" and "whoa, I got big points for that!"

supsu

On the Ice
I became a fan during the 6.0 era (mid '90s) and followed till 2002 (then for various reasons I didn't watch anymore till Torino Olympics). But I was more a fan of some skaters and never tried to understand the 6.0 system or the different aspects of FS (I was young.. just watching because there were Kwan but especially Yagudin... :hopelessness: ). Then I became a great fan again thanks to Asada and Kim, when we were already in the COP system. But this time I wanted to understand the things and now, with everything in my mind, I'm able to appreciate FS not just because of one skater.

So, for me, the points system didn't affect my love for FS at all, but I feel that now, with the new system, TV commentators have to be more technical if they want people to understand this sport or the majority will never realize why a "non perfect" program can still win. For this reason I think that now their job is more difficult, they have a bigger and concrete role in spreading love for FS, they just can't stay there and talk about their emotions. But honestly I don't see this trend everywhere and it doesn't help.

First of all, I watched skating occasionally during 6.0 era, and then I had a love/hate feelings toward Plushenko and then I watched because of Finnish girls and finally fell in love because of Chan, Yuzuru and Javier a couple of years ago. I also, wanted to understand the system, and for me, it makes perfect sense with real numbers and I know why they get something for this or that. And with the bolded part, I agree with u 100%.

gkelly

Record Breaker
When I first became interested in figure skating, there was very little TV coverage (maybe two hours or so of US Nationals and Worlds and 1 hour or less of Europeans mixed in with other sports on ABC's Wide World of Sports each year, considerably more during the Olympics, and occasional cheesy TV specials). Short programs were a new addition at the senior level, so school figures now constituted a minority of the total score but probably at least half of most skaters' training time.

With the exceptions of John Curry and Toller Cranston, there was not a lot of artistry in freeskating in those days. "Artistic" skaters were generally those who had nice body line and some relation to the music, but what they were actually doing was not much more than a collection of the same basic moves that everyone else was doing, with rare small personal flourishes.

So I was more interested in doing it myself, for a couple years, than in watching as a fan. And then afer I quit, for most of the late 70s through early 90s I might watch Olympics or some other broadcast that happened to catch my notice, if I wasn't busy doing other things, but it didn't really catch my notice.

I started watching again in 1991-92, coincidentally just after the end of school figures, by which time choreography for competitive skating had become more developed. I soon became obsessed -- in large part because I was fascinated by the tensions between a highly technical sport and efforts at performing arts. I found the most interesting programs in 1991-92 to be in ice dance, and then once that became all ballroom all the time for a few years, mostly in men. Women and pairs seemed to have less artistic range and the most "artistic" women and pairs seemed to gravitate toward a conservative, lyrical style that was not of great interest to me artistically. But I was interested in the contrast between the demands of athleticism and traditional femininity.

It seems to me that IJS-era skating is more technically oriented, which is probably progress from a feminist point of view. I do think the female skaters who aim for reputations as artists do still tend to gravitate toward traditionally feminine styles, but I no longer get the sense that they are being evaluated on how successfully they present themselves as "feminine."