Men neglected in figure skating? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men neglected in figure skating?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think we're even

Skate America - Jason Brown (silver), Gracie Gold (bronze)
Skate Canada - Max Aaron (bronze), Ashley Wagner (silver)
Cup of China - Richard Dornbush (bronze)
Rostelecom Cup - neither (best finish: Jason Brown, 5th; Mirai Nagasu, 4th)
Trophee Eric Bompard - no men (best finish: Adam Rippon, 5th) Ashley Wagner (bronze)
NHK - ????

We're 3 for men, 3 for women. Though more men (3) have won more medals than women (2).

However, both are outranked by Ice Dance who have had three different pairs win a medal (2 at SkAm) during every event of the GP series. That streak is likely to end at NHK though, unless Baker/Hawayek show considerable improvement from their first event (they were in 8th).

Thanks! I can always count on you.:hijacked:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
No, I'm making the assumption that women prefer taller guys which is backed up by every dating survey in existence.

Yes, taller than they are, not taller than the average male height which I think is what you're saying (not being able to name any male skaters being 6ft2 or higher outside of Lysacek & Trankov). And as someone else has said, it's hard to decipher how tall skaters are on the ice. I did not know Evan was over six feet until you said so. I'm also regularly surprised during the flower/podium ceremonies at the height differences amongst both the women & men skaters. I don't think height matters as much as you're making it out to. I also think single men skaters are more popular swoon-wise than male partners in Pairs or Dance (both my opinion and what i have witnessed of others on forums & during competitions) :confused2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He works for Gawker... he writes clickbaity articles that are meant to drive traffic. Yeah he was writing about Jason Brown, but for the Olympics.

One thing that's very noticeably different between Russia and the United States is that Russian sports outlets actually cover figure skating as a sport and as it's own thing separate from the Olympics.

And as someone who is new to figure skating fandom, I like to compare skating to other sports that I watch... especially MMA. What I find amazing about figure skating compared to MMA is that there is very little figure skating journalism in comparison to MMA.

I wouldn't worry about Gawker's Deadspin so much... but why is there no figure skating equivalent to mmamania.com or bloodyelbow.com? Why is figure skating coverage on bleacherreport lumped in with the Olympics?

There was something about Jason (yeah the 4M YouTube video views) that made it clickbait worthy in the first place. So I consider it a win, even if an unintentional one.

My point is that instead of complaining about how FS lacks exposure, blah blah blah, it wouldn't hurt for USFS and others to make an active PR effort to get skating out there. I mean for everyone complaining about Kim Kardashian (and the rest of the family) getting famous for doing nothing, they, in my opinion are arguably some of the most media savvy people out there.

In fact someone from NPR made this exact point: http://socialmediadesk.tumblr.com/post/103132787406/what-we-can-learn-from-the-kardashians

Mainstream media outlets in the U.S. have limited budgets -- so unless there's something compelling about figure skating that makes it worth the money by itself -- that's not going to happen.

The Skating Lesson, I think, is a good attempt to try to be more like the websites you talk about, but I still feel like they're still a bit too insider baseball to get a a wider audience.

Icenetwork, FWIW, is owned by MLB.com...but I'm not sure how much direct benefit there is in that relationship.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
There was something about Jason (yeah the 4M YouTube video views) that made it clickbait worthy in the first place. So I consider it a win, even if an unintentional one.

My point is that instead of complaining about how FS lacks exposure, blah blah blah, it wouldn't hurt for USFS and others to make an active PR effort to get skating out there. I mean for everyone complaining about Kim Kardashian (and the rest of the family) getting famous for doing nothing, they, in my opinion are arguably some of the most media savvy people out there.

In fact someone from NPR made this exact point: http://socialmediadesk.tumblr.com/post/103132787406/what-we-can-learn-from-the-kardashians
In a way Johny Weir was able to extend his fame beyond figure skating... But we want skaters to be household names because of their acomplisments. Hence, my mention of Evan, he has those acomplisments. What happened?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In a way Johny Weir was able to extend his fame beyond figure skating... But we want skaters to be household names because of their acomplisments. Hence, my mention of Evan, he has those acomplisments. What happened?

Johnny Weir, actually, deserves credit too for exposure, despite his relative lack of accomplishments. I think the annoying part is that that exposure doesn't necessary extend to figure skating itself.

As for Evan -- he did get a bit of media attention from being second on Dancing with the Stars, but he sort of disappeared, PR wise, after that. There was a few reports about him coming back and all, but he didn't really put himself out there.

On the other hand, he got plenty of endorsements, so perhaps from his standpoint, that's all he needed...

All I can say is marketing yourself can be a challenge...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/f...-will-endorsements-follow.html?pagewanted=all

Last edited:

Scovies

Final Flight
One thing that's very noticeably different between Russia and the United States is that Russian sports outlets actually cover figure skating as a sport and as it's own thing separate from the Olympics.

I really wish they would. I remember seeing figure skating on ESPN's Sportscenter once, and it was a 5-second clip during their "Top 10" at the end of the show, when Stephane Lambiel won his first world title. They showed a quick clip of him landing a quad, and then a shot of him at the awards ceremony holding up his gold medal while the commentator said something like, "...and he gets this shiny bauble." They clearly weren't taking it seriously.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
That's all fine and dandy, but some people will drone on about skating's reduced popularity and then try to make your argument. The issue is not who is populating the self selected fan threads but who is actually watching skating and how do you get more people to watch.

1. I think the majority of the people who watch skating are women.
2. I think the majority of the people who watch skating just stumble upon it on tv.
3. I think ladies skating is what those casual watchers most want to watch
4. I don't think those casual women viewers really care to sit through and watch a whole hour of men's competition.
5. It would be better to just show the highlights of men... and pairs... and ice dancing.

Hmm, I don't agree with any of these except for #1. I think you have to go out of your way to find skating on tv nowadays. And I don't get why you would go on a spiel about women preferring taller men, and then say women are more inclined to watch ladies' skating. Why would that be? I don't mind watching the ladies, but I don't see anything inherently more interesting about them. The men are doing harder elements and have more variety in their programs, so it's more exciting to me. And the fact that some of them are also quite attractive is just a bonus. I definitely do NOT agree that tv coverage of men should be reduced, but yes, it would be wonderful if pairs and ice dance were shown. Ideally the coverage would just be expanded, but not at the expense of any other discipline.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Hence, my mention of Evan, he has those acomplisments.
Not likeable, very little showing of personality, looked cold to people sometimes, always asking for more money from USFS...

On the gay issue, I think the USFSA, along with society as a whole, is glacially moving from protesting "Look how heterosexual Michael Weiss is" and "Look everybody, Evan Lysacek has a girlfriend" to "Lots of gay men skate. So?"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No, I'm making the assumption that women prefer taller guys which is backed up by every dating survey in existence.

Max is two inches shorter than me - possibly more, depending on how much his "official" height is exaggerated. (You know, like Yagudin claiming to be 5'9" and yet being visibly several inches shorter than Plushenko who was really 5'9".)

Joshua is my height or taller but I couldn't go for him. Can't go for someone you've been watching since they were a weedy little kid.

To me, Evan and Maxim Trankov look soooooo sleazy I can't even. Personal preference.

Still reckon this boyband thing is worth a shot. Let's see, Jason plays the piano, Josh plays piano and guitar, Max plays drums, Lukas plays guitar, Tim and Ricky on the violin (I think?)...reckon this could work, they're all cute in different ways, could be a viable option. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
While I do hate the Men's Figure Skating=Gay Association, there is absolutely nothing irrational(in fact, I think it would be the norm) for women to prefer pairs and ice dancing over men's figure skating. Pair's and Ice Dancing consistently emphasize passion and romance while men's figure skating is often self absorbed or very hit and miss in what it emphasizes and appeals with... heck, I was reading an interview with Eteri Tutberidze and she talked about how many asian male skaters skated femininely and how she wanted her male students to emulate.

Also, women are hardwired to like tall men... I'm 5'9" 1/2 and the average height for white male figure skaters is probably 5'9"... with the asian skaters significantly shorter. Go on match.com and look at women's minimum height requirements... a majority of those that list a height put at at least at 5'10 and probably a third of women list 6" as a minimum height. The majority of men in ice dancing and pairs are in women's ideal height range... they need to be strong to do the elements and it's also needed for aesthetic reasons to make the passion and romance undertones work.

Show me any elite male singles skater that comes close to Maxim Trankov when it comes to what the majority of women find attractive? Oh yeah, you can't say Evan Lysacek who is 6''2".

Do you think a man by himself could come even close to capturing a women's imagination as this:

Art on Ice 2014 Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov with Hurts - Somebody to Die For
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBzQq-TdnW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTxhUOxTCMU

Yes, some girls do like these type of guys but males singles skating is harder to pull off with a body type that is in our society's masculine ideal. This is not good if you want to appeal to women as a broad group.

I actually agree with you... I think bad ice dancing is harder to watch than bad men's singles.

My issue with this thread so to speak is that I completely disagree with the title... if you watch NBC's coverage men and women are treated equally while pairs and ice dancing are ignored. I think this is completely absurd and if you want to maximize skating's appeal you would edit the ladies coverage as a contentious sporting event and just show highlights of men, pairs, and ice dancing.

That's all fine and dandy, but some people will drone on about skating's reduced popularity and then try to make your argument. The issue is not who is populating the self selected fan threads but who is actually watching skating and how do you get more people to watch.

1. I think the majority of the people who watch skating are women.
2. I think the majority of the people who watch skating just stumble upon it on tv.
3. I think ladies skating is what those casual watchers most want to watch
4. I don't think those casual women viewers really care to sit through and watch a whole hour of men's competition.
5. It would be better to just show the highlights of men... and pairs... and ice dancing.

Gosh, I'm a new (less than a year) figure skating fan, female, and disagree with much of what you have said in this thread. Mens is my favorite discipline, I rarely watch pairs or ice dance, I only watch a few female skaters & would loathe your formula for TV. I don't watch skating for romance or passion, but for athleticism, artistry and creativity. I also like football, because it's strategic. And I really don't care if male figure skaters are tall or short.

My point is that you are a woman, but you're reducing us to lowest common denominator stereotypes, and making pronouncements about figure skating based on dating surveys. Truthfully, it's a bit ridiculous.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gosh, I'm a new (less than a year) figure skating fan, female, and disagree with much of what you have said in this thread. Mens is my favorite discipline, I rarely watch pairs or ice dance, I only watch a few female skaters & would loathe your formula for TV. I don't watch skating for romance or passion, but for athleticism, artistry and creativity. I also like football, because it's strategic. And I really don't care if male figure skaters are tall or short.

My point is that you are a woman, but you're reducing us to lowest common denominator stereotypes, and making pronouncements about figure skating based on dating surveys. Truthfully, it's a bit ridiculous.

:clap::clap::clap: I completely agree with you! The men's discipline is my favorite also! I've also been a fan for less than a year as well (9 1/2 months). I also don't mind if skaters are tall or short as well.

I watch for athleticism, artistry and creativity as well.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The whole argument of "men's skating doesn't even appeal to women!" relies on several huge assumptions:
1) That women have only one type of preferred man (tall, masculine, handsome?)
2) That women watch figure skating solely for the romance factor. Again, not true, or else pairs/ice dance would be much bigger than they are. While women's singles is more popular than men's in the States, I don't think pairs/ice dance are doing any better than men's.
3) That women watch male skaters they are attracted to. There's no way to prove this right or wrong, but it's not true for me at least. My favourite skaters aren't necessarily the ones I find most handsome.

If even one of these assumptions is wrong--and there's ample evidence to believe all three may in fact be wrong--then sorenkay's point doesn't stand.

Mind you, I'm a woman who was brought in to figure skating by a female skater (Michelle Kwan) and I do often enjoy the women's field more than the men's. But that's because the women tend to bomb less and make less disruptive errors (URs vs. falls). Nothing to do with male skaters' heights/attractiveness/romantic appeal.

Max is two inches shorter than me - possibly more, depending on how much his "official" height is exaggerated. (You know, like Yagudin claiming to be 5'9" and yet being visibly several inches shorter than Plushenko who was really 5'9".)
Plushenko is 5'10. Judging by pictures/him standing next to other people, I don't think his official height is exaggerated. You're correct on Yagudin though--he's definitely more than 3cm shorter. :hijacked:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

I kind of laughed when I read those posts by sorenkay. They truly are ridiculous and borderline sexist.

Amei

Record Breaker

That reminds me of an interview that was done several years ago there was an American football player who was very short and he was being interviewed and they said 'your official height is 5'8" tall' and he replied 'depends how tall my cleats are'. (Sorry slightly off topic)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Joshua is my height or taller but I couldn't go for him. Can't go for someone you've been watching since they were a weedy little kid.

To me, Evan and Maxim Trankov look soooooo sleazy I can't even. Personal preference.

Still reckon this boyband thing is worth a shot. Let's see, Jason plays the piano, Josh plays piano and guitar, Max plays drums, Lukas plays guitar, Tim and Ricky on the violin (I think?)...reckon this could work, they're all cute in different ways, could be a viable option. :popcorn:

How tall are you?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think that the problem with US men in the early 2000s that Todd was disappointed about was that the US didn't have anyone with 'star' power. The only one looking back that I would say was close was Mike Weiss. It was all about the quad then and "No-Quad Todd" was competing against Weiss and Goebel who regularly attempted quads. I can appreciate a lot of Todd's skating, but I thought he was bland and boring as all to watch.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I should have said singles... I am not even an Evan fan, but he is the most acomplished singles skater... An to make a point about Davis and White, they should be husehold names a la Michelle Kwan but unfortunatly most non-figure skating fans got to know them because of Dancing with the Stars... I asked my friends non-figure skating fans and they had no idea US had #1 ice dance team in the world...

I never said male competitors were doomed to invisibility, I am talking about support. If Tood Elredge felt it with all titles imagine someone like Jeremy.

I find your statement quite interesting. First of all Todd skated in a different era, secondly the only thing he really has that Jeremy doesn't is a World's medal and a few more Nationals medals. Jeremy has plenty of loyal supporters and we aren't just talking about those in Japan. And when Todd did skate, he never really seemed like Mr. Personality and extremely loved and sought after.

Side note: I didn't have time to read this whole thread before posting.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I have to disagree strongly.

Whenever I go to a FS event, the men are in a huge minority. I didn't count it but I would assume we talk about 1 / 100.

Men also seldom skate in front of empty rows, the girls however often do so especially those in the first groups.

Just look at Joubert or Plushenko, show me a lady that is as popular at the opposite gender as those are. ;)

Sure there are some Asian skaters who have a couple of male fans, I met several but its nothing compared to the amount of ladies that these two womanziers can get. ;)

Sad but true is, that not many men watch FS and if you now attack those that do and claim they only watch it due short skirts and skin then I don't know how we will ever get more men into FS as long that prejudice exists.

I never saw anything like this in soccer, its totally normal for a girl to watch soccer and I wish we would some day reach the same in FS or Gymnastics.

Don't let a whole gender pay for the wrongs of a small amount of those who belong to it.

I get comments all the time as a girl watching who watches soccer. Every time a guy asks me for my favourite player their first reaction is always to ask me if it's because I think they're cute. It is not seen as totally normal, not yet. And I said lots of guys, not all men, when figure skating came around I saw lots of comments on reddit where people said they were only watching for the women. Many of them don't get the scoring system and to them every jump was the same. It's looking at casual 4 year watchers, not actual male figure skating fans or people who are actually interested. They asked actual questions while caosual viewers said they didn't care, just this performance was prettier than the other. Also I'm speaking from my personal experience, when I spoke about watching the Olympics, many of the guys I spoke to only knew about Yuna Kim and Mao Asada's rivalry.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, taller than they are, not taller than the average male height which I think is what you're saying (not being able to name any male skaters being 6ft2 or higher outside of Lysacek & Trankov). And as someone else has said, it's hard to decipher how tall skaters are on the ice. I did not know Evan was over six feet until you said so. I'm also regularly surprised during the flower/podium ceremonies at the height differences amongst both the women & men skaters. I don't think height matters as much as you're making it out to. I also think single men skaters are more popular swoon-wise than male partners in Pairs or Dance (both my opinion and what i have witnessed of others on forums & during competitions) :confused2:

Swoon wise??? If we are saying swoon wise in the context of sexy, appealing in a carnal way that would probably take away all the Japanese men and Asian men who on these posts tend to be more popular but not for their looks for whatever reason - smaller stature and build etc. Though I hate stereotypes. I guess on these posts you have Fernandez against Andrew Poje. I wouldn't say Jason Brown is swoon worthy more just popular but in a non sexual way from what I can see/ read.