Cricketer dies two days after struck down by a cricket ball | Golden Skate

Cricketer dies two days after struck down by a cricket ball

GF2445

Record Breaker
Though cricket isnt very big in alot of countries, if you or your country are big cricket fans, this will be very shocking news. Australian cricket is deeply mourning the most tragic death of one of Australia's most respected cricket players today.

Phillip Hughes was batting in a test cricket match when he was unfortunately struck by a cricket ball in the neck, which eventually lead to a massive head injury. This was a rare and freak accident.

He died two days after he was hit.
He was 25 years old.

A timely reminder that even the young, fit and successful can't escape death.
May he rest in peace

Phillip Hughes (1988-2014).

peg

Medalist
And a timely reminder that head injuries can be really serious and are not something to take chances with.

GF2445

Record Breaker
And a timely reminder that head injuries can be really serious and are not something to take chances with.
Very true.
To be specific, this cricket player died from a subarachnoid haemorrhage. The ball that hit him was at about 140km/h (just over 86 mph) in the neck, which led to an artery splitting which lead to bleeding in the brain etc.
I'm not sure how fast baseball are pitched at but its not fun to be hit by a cricket ball- they hurt!

Since team sports make such a significant part of Australia's sporting culture, issues relating to head injuries is a very serious issue and always comes up in the news during the winter months when contacts sports like rugby league, rugby union and AFL are on.

louisa05

Final Flight
Very true.
To be specific, this cricket player died from a subarachnoid haemorrhage. The ball that hit him was at about 140km/h (just over 86 mph) in the neck, which led to an artery splitting which lead to bleeding in the brain etc.
I'm not sure how fast baseball are pitched at but its not fun to be hit by a cricket ball- they hurt!

Since team sports make such a significant part of Australia's sporting culture, issues relating to head injuries is a very serious issue and always comes up in the news during the winter months when contacts sports like rugby league, rugby union and AFL are on.

In the Major Leagues, most pitches are over 90mph. My husband's cousin is a Major League pitcher who regularly reaches the 99-100mph range on his fastball. Only certain types of pitches (breaking balls, change-ups and the very rare knuckleball) will clock in under 90mph on a radar gun.

Most Major Leaguers have learned to get out of the way if a ball is coming for their head, but hits to the head do happen. One of the most famous relatively recent one was when Roger Clemens hit Mike Piazza in 2000 with a fastball well over 90mph. He was diagnosed with a concussion and missed several games afterwards.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFScJX1Sf_g

I don't know what MLB's policy for head injuries is, but I've never seen a player not be removed from the game. A player named Ray Chapman died in 1920 twelve hours after being hit by a pitch. It resulted in some rule changes including pitchers not being allowed to put substances on the ball. They used to cover it with dirt, spit and anything else to make it move differently and make it harder for hitters to see. Oddly enough, even though there was a call for batting helmets after that happened, they didn't make them mandatory for another 30 years.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know. I know. Remember to take a photo of your cricket bat if you have one...its a trending twitter thing... I think...

I did. I don't have a full-sized one anymore, but I took one of a small autograph bat. #putoutyourbats

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was not familiar with him at all, but this is very tragic news. Gone way too soon. RIP, Phillip.