I just read "Inside Edge" | Golden Skate

I just read "Inside Edge"

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
WOW, this book is great!! I read it in one evening and one day, hehe. I found out so much (I *think*) and it was a captivating read. There were so many things that surprised me actually (I'll write them later, i gotta go!!)

Anyone else read it, and what else has Chrsitine Brennan written?

floskate

On the Ice
She wrote Edge of Glory - a run up to the '98 Olympics, mainly concentrating on Kwan and Lipinski.

ITA Inside Edge was really the first book of its kind. The insights into Kwan are amazing. But it's very Kwan biased considering her later articles.Glad you enjoyed it!!!!

I liked Edge of Glory much more than Inside Edge. I thought Inside Edge was an attempt at some some of expose of the sport -- like we didn't already know that some stage parents are pushy and that some of the men in the sport are gay.

It was really Edge of Glory that got into the Michelle Kwan thing. A great read if you like Michelle, but Brennan came down pretty hard on Tara and her family.

Mathman

76olympics

On the Ice
I liked them both..

I enjoyed the Janet Lynn and Peggy Fleming/Tina Noyes chapters in "Inside Edge." It did give you an insight into the trainwreck that was Christopher Bowman also. I know it was too gossipy and glib for some people-but it was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

I actually liked "Edge of Glory" second-best. The first book had a little more variety to it as it wasn't focused on a single event like the Nagano Olympics. (BTW-she had already taken some Lipinski shots in the earlier book.) I like Michelle better overall and always have -but I think Tara deserved the win in Nagano. Her skate was just more energetic and electric that particular night. It's just sad that she did not maintain the momentum.

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
So she wrote "Edge of Glory" too?? I wanna read that, it is all about Nagano??

One thing that surprised me in "IE" is about Kerrigan. It basically said that after Olys 94, she wasn't even that popular, and that she failed to live up to her "Ice Princess" image the media had built her up to. What does this mean, and what exactly happened??

floskate

On the Ice
Nancy made some choice remarks in the K&C while waiting for Baiul to re-apply her make up and they were picked up as a soundbyte by CBS I think. Also she went home early to appear in a Disney parade instead of the closing ceremony and made some unfortunate remark about it that I can't really remember so I won't paraphrase. Needless to say it was picked up by the media and blown out of all proportion.:rolleye:

Edge of Glory is all about the '97 - '98 season starting at '97 Nationals with MK's meltdown and her subsequent rise from the abyss to figure skating legendinherownlifetime at the following Nationals through Olympics. It also follows Lipinski, but as Mathman rightly says she doesn't come off that great, aswell as most of the mens competitors too. Worth having!