Favourite SP and LP of all time | Golden Skate

Favourite SP and LP of all time

floskate

On the Ice
I'm sure this has been done before but would love to know your opinions. If you had to choose a favourite sp and lp for each discipline of all time which would they be?

PAIRS:
sp - G&G Barber of Seville '89 Worlds
lp - S&Z Turandot '03 Worlds

MENS:
sp - Boitano '88 US Nationals/Cousins '80 Olympics - a tie. Can't figure out who is my favourite!
lp - Curry Don Quixote - '76 Olympics

DANCE:
od - T&D History of Love '94 Olympics
fd - T&D Mack and Mabel '82 Euro's

LADIES:
sp - MK Rach 3 '98 US Nationals. (Prefer DOD in its construction but going on performance would have to go with this)
lp - Midori Ito - '89 Worlds. Words cannot describe how moved I was that day!!!!!!)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Pairs:

SP--would have to see more tapes of my fave pairs, B&S & M&D, to pick one..sad, I know:)
LP--tie between B&S Chaplin (only just saw Worlds 01, though I hear from hockeyfan228 that at Cup of Russia it was even more exquisite) and M&D Rach 94 (Goodwill Games)
Exhibition (thought it'd be fun to add this)--B&S Chaplin Exh. at SLC 2002

Mens:

SP--Alexei Winter SLC 2002
LP--Philippe Candeloro Godfather Goodwill Games 1994
Exhibition--Ilia Kulik "Feelings" Ice Wars 2003 (the flow, the flow, the flow--I'm in l:love:ve!)

Dance:

OD--haven't seen enough dance to pick one
FD--Anissina & Peizirat Romeo & Juliet Nagano Oly 1998

Ladies:

SP--Sasha Cohen SLC 2002 (Malaguena Worlds 04 was amazing, bravura, because the music called for that, but the 2002 Oly SP was dreamy gentle, lilting, airy, musical, and equally inspired, but in a different way, one that allowed Sasha to show some range outside of the fiery, bravura style most associate with her)
LP--Lulu Oly 1998 Butterfly Lovers/MK Nats 2003 Aranjuez
Exhibition--Oksana Baiul Oly 1994 White Swan W:love:W (Saw this for the first, breathtaking time at Goodwill Games 1994, my first experience of watching skating on TV--but after watching the OLY ex download, I noted a special emotion in Oksana, the disbelief that one finds in most freshly crowned Olympic champions right after that glorious moment)

Subject to change at any time, particularly upon viewings of "new" old footage or new footage (2004-2005 season)...:D

Sarah

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Ladies
SP- MK East of Eden or SC Malguena Worlds 04
LP- Oksana 94 Olympics
EX- MK FOG from SLC gala

Men
SP- Candeloro Godfather Theme
LP- Paul Wylie The Mission
EX- Elvis' INXS numbers

Pairs
LP- S&Z Turnadot or G&G 94 Olympics

Dance
EX- G&P You'll See (Pasha is such a drama queen, I love it)

...I'll fill it in more completely as I look back over my old tapes

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
MEN
SP: Alexei Yagudin's "Winter"
LP: Paul Wylie's "Henry V"

PAIRS
SP: Will have to think about this one......
LP: Shen & Zhou's "Turandot"
G&G's "Moonlight Sonata"
M&D's "Rach"

LADIES
SP: Michelle Kwan's "East of Eden"
LP: Chen Lu's "Rach"
Michelle Kwan's "Lyra Angelica"

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
ooh, this is hard....

Men

SP Alexander Abt - Russian Sailor Dance
FS Evgeni Plushenko - St. Petersburg 300
(but Candeloro's 3 Musketeers is a veerry close #2)

Ladies

SP - Michelle Kwan - The Feeling Begins (especially at US Nationals 2003) (Jenny Kirk's Chicago is a veeery close #2)
FS - Shizuka Arakawa - Turnadot

I don't really follow pairs and dance that closely...

Laura :)

Enero

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen - Malaguena (Worlds Short 04')

Kristi Yamaguchi - Malaguena (Olympic Long 92')

Grishok/Platov - Rumba (forgot what year)

Anissina/Peizerant - Carmina Burana (00) - By far one of the best free dances I've ever seen. Superb work. I loved "Man in the Iron Mask", Tango (02 - Olympics) OD and "Time to Say Goodbye" (exhibition program 98-99) - wonderful dance, the passion gave me chills :laugh:

Mishkutenuk/Dmitriev - "Dreams of Love" (92' Olympic Long)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Lino

Hi there!

First of all, welcome to Golden Skate!!! Thanks sooo much for posting a link to what I presume is a Yukina Ota :love: program!!! It doesn't seem to work, though; I think it may be a typo in the address--please repost it if you find the link is different from what you originally posted...many of us are HUGE Yukina fans here!!!:D

Cheers,
Sarah

Vash01

Medalist
Pairs:

SP- B&S 'Lady Caliph' 2002 Oly
LP-(Tie) M&D 'Rachmaninoff' 94 Oly and B&S COR 2001 (Citylights)

Men:

SP-Yagudin 'Winter' 2002 Oly
LP-Plushenko 'St.Petersburg 300' 2003 GPF

Ladies:

SP-Oksana Baiul 'Swan Lake' 94 Oly
LP-Shizuka Arakawa 'Turandot' 2004 worlds

Ice dance:

OD- Torville & Dean Rhumba- 94 Oly
FD-Klimova-Ponomarenko 'Bach'

icenut84

Final Flight
Great thread! It's tough to choose some of them though.

My faves:

Ladies -
SP: Sasha Cohen, "Malaguena" (03-04)
LP: Michelle Kwan, "Salome" (96)
EX: Michelle Kwan, "Fields of Gold" (02-03)

Men -
SP: Alexei Yagudin, "Revolution Etude" (01)
LP: Stephane Lambiel, "Cirque de Soleil" (02 Euros)
EX: Evgeny Plushenko, "Sex Bomb" (01)

Pairs -
SP: Gordeeva & Grinkov, "March of the Toreadors" (88)
LP: Shen & Zhao, "Nutcracker" (04)
EX: a tie - Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, "Impossible Dreams" (99) and Shen & Zhao, "Come What May" (04)

Dance -
OD: Torvill & Dean, "Summertime" (82)
FD: Torvill & Dean, "Bolero" (84)
EX: Bourne & Kraatz, "Sadeness" (03)

I'll probably remember some I forgot later though... lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmmm ok

Pairs:
SP - Jamie and David's Jalousie OR their Come Rain Come Shine
LP - Jamie and David's Love Story
EX - ooooo tough one..... hmmmmmmm G&G's Rodin Number or their Out of Tears

Men:
SP - Kurt's 1994 Oly SP... didn't skate it the best, but I think it was a wonderfully choreographed piece... and he sold the thing till he popped that stupid 2axel! :(
LP - Kurt's Casablanca
EX - Kurt's Serenade to Sonia, NYAH, Brickhouse... yeah I could go on and on and Steven's Belfast's Child(saw it live! *drool*)

Ladies:
SP - Angela Nikodinov's Just For You
LP - Angela's Sleeping Beauty
EX - Kristi's Madame Butterfly or Josée Chouinard's Sweater or Katia's Smile or Sarah Hughes' Fosse

Ice Dance:
OD - haven't seen enough to make an informed opinion
FD - B & K's River Dance
EX - Roca and Sur's Ghost

Show Numbers
Opening - SOI's Stobes of Nanafushi(sp???)
Middle Number(s) - SOI's Fun and Games, Tunnel Vision, and STUDZ!!!!
Closing - SOI's Beatles Medly

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Hmm, another set of tough ones, but at least no rule against ties!

Ladies:
SP-tie between Cohen's '02 "Sentimental Waltz" SP and Sebestyen's 04 Shostakovitch Waltz 'SP.
LP-tie between Lynn's "Afternoon of a Faun" LP Arakawa's '04 "Violin Fantasy on Puccini's Turandot" LP

Men:
SP-tie between Joubert's "Time" SP (performed in '03. IMO none of the '04 performances matched his best '03 performances) and Yagudin's '02 "Winter" program and Boitano's '88 "Les Patineurs" SP. [Edited to add:] and Klimkin's '04 "Swan Lake" SP.
LP-John Curry's '76 "Don Quixote" LP. (in spite of the music). Got to put in an honorable mention for Plushenko's '03-'04 "St. Petersburg 300."

Pairs:
SP-tie between B&S's '02 "Lady Caliph" SP and Totmianina/Marinin's '03 "Peer Gynt" SP
LP-B&S's '02 Chaplin LP (CoR, especially)

Dance:
OD-Usova/Zhulin's '91 "Summertime" OD [Edited to add:] and (Argh!!!) how could I have forgotten Denkova/Staviyski's '03 Barococo OD?
FD-Torvill/Dean's '84 "Bolero" FD

I'm not a great fan of exhibition programs -- generally too sappy for my taste -- but the exception that proves the rule is Klimkin's Enya program at '04 Euros, tied with what I think exhi's should be: creative theater outside the rules and that would be a tie between Plushenko's "Sex Bomb" and Plushenko's '03 exhi (don't know what it was called), and Plushenko's first '04 exhi program, with that blinding straightline footwork pass.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Ladies
SP- Yuka Sato -Railway children
LP- Katarina Witt - where have all the flowers gone

ks777

Record Breaker
Ladies
SP- Yuka Sato -Railway children
LP- Katarina Witt - where have all the flowers gone

mariana

On the Ice
I like this one!

Pairs -
SP: Sale & Pelletier, "Jalousie" (02)
LP: Gordeeva & Grinkov, "Moonlight Sonata" (94)
EX: a tie - Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, "The Kid" (99) and Shen & Zhao, "Come What May" (04)

Dance -
OD: Denkova & Staviyski " Memoirs of a grand ball" (03) -only started seen OD's in 2002, so I don't have many to choose. I almost forgot Rahkamo & Kokko 95 OD (downloaded fron the internet a month ago)
FD: a tie - Torvill & Dean, "Mack and Mabel" (84); Denkova & Staviyski, "Handel" (04) and "Sarabande" (99)
EX: a tie- Anissina & Peizerat "Susana" and Denkova & Staviyski "Absent Drinker"

Last edited:

lulu

Final Flight
OD: haven't seen nearly enough-including T&D's famed "summertime"-and some G&P OD's; out of the ones I have seen: K&O's 1998 OD
FD: Bach by K&P
EX: The "scarf" by K&P

SP: B&S-Lady Caliph
LP: M&D-Rachmanioff's 2nd Piano Concerto
EX: I really like Chaplin, G&G had some good professional pieces as well. But I'll probably have to go with Chaplin