Favorite Ladies Costume (All Time) | Golden Skate

Favorite Ladies Costume (All Time)

iceberg

On the Ice
I'm interested to know which are your favorite costumes in the women's league like to date.:)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Mao Asada's Scheherezade costume is my favorite, second would probably be Akiko's peacock dress.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Pretty much everything Yuna Kim's worn in competition: the black Danse Macabre number, her bright red Scheherazade, the glittery Bond Girl, the silver-and-blue Gershwin dream, the halter-top-esque Giselle ballet, the paneled Arirang FS, the sparkly blood-on-ice vampire SP, her peasant dress for Les Mis, the chartreuse Sochi SP (reminds me of Nicole Kidman's Oscar dress from 1997) and the two-toned plum-and-black number for Adios Nonino.

Also, everything Mao wore in 2013/14 for both programs.

Caro's Bolero, her angelic Ave Maria, and the sparkly jumpsuit in 2012 for Mozart.

Tessa's best dress was the team FS faberge egg-inspired number.

Michelle Kwan's soft Lyra Angelica.

And for sheer gumption: that super-heavy Christian Lacroix jeweled matador outfit Surya Bonaly wore for 1992 Albertville FS. It was bold and fiery like her, but I read somewhere that it was so heavy it affected her jumps. It makes sense that technically she was "off" that night and missed the podium.

karlowens2

On the Ice
How about Nancy Kerrigan's Vera Wang numbers in 1994?

Also Sasha's 2006 OLY short program costume.

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan's "victoria's secret" costume for her Red Violin program.
Mao Asada's "Bells of moscow" costume
Evan Lysacek's Firebird costume
and Patrick Chan's Aranjuez costume

keasus

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan's costumes from 1996 to the Vera Wang era

Meryl Davis and Tessa Virtue (you can pick anyone they wore in competition from 2007-2014; they were all classy and beautifully constructed.

My personal favorite because it launched a thousand dreams for me, Peggy Fleming's chartreuse costume from the 1968 Olympics. It is a classic that still looks good almost 50 years later.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Everything Yuna Kim wore post 2007.

- Kiss of Vampire
- Gershwin

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
I would just like to repost this. :)

This for me is one of my top3 most beautiful dresses of Mao. This is also the short program where Mao's tradition of retying her shoe laces came from. At 0:23 she had to stop and redo the program. But back to the costume, its beautiful and she looked like a princess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BKiU-o9h4c

But my all time and my no.1 favorite costume of all time by a lady skater will always be Mao Asada in 2011 skating to "Liebestraum". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fHcE4uFg4

Last edited:

nieves

On the Ice
Akiko's POTO dress is ridiculously beautiful.
I love Mao's Rach 2 outfit because she looks like she just transformed into one of the sailor moon girls.
Of course Yuna has the best costumes overall but I particularly like Kiss of the Vampire, Bond, and Send in the Clowns.

begin

Medalist
Sasha Cohen - R&J and Swan Lake
Chen Lu -The Butterfly Lovers (all of them!), Spring Breeze, Rach 1
Kristi Yamaguchi - Fantasy Impromptu
Kiira Korpi - Over the Rainbow
Jenny Kirk - Chicago
Akiko Suzuki - West Side Story (sentimental fave), POTO, and 'O'
Michelle Kwan - Salome, Romanza, Bolero (at 2005 Nats) and Lyra Angelica
Mao Asada - Carmen, Czardas, Claire de Lune, Liebestraum, Rach 1, Ballade (both the black and white dresses), Nocturne '13'14, Scheherazade (dress)
Yuna Kim - Lark Ascending, 007 Medley, Gershwin, Meditations (she was so on point in Vancouver), Kiss of the Vampire, Les Mis, Send in the Clowns, Adios Nonino, that pink dress from ATS 2014

In general I love it when ladies wear long sleeves. Fabric tends to enhance arm movements.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Excuse me but why what makes you unsure of Mao Asada's gorgeous bells of moscow(olympics) costume?

The costume overpowered her, the choker was ridiculous, the frilly neckline looked like it came from the 80s, the red lips were too heavy, and overall she looked like some demon-child.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The costume overpowered her, the choker was ridiculous, the frilly neckline looked like it came from the 80s, the red lips were too heavy, and overall she looked like some demon-child.

Sadly, have to agree on that one -- it's kind of an 80s nightmare bridesmaid dress. Mao is so pretty but even she couldn't look good in it!

On a more positive note, I loved Nancy K's Vera Wang dresses and Yuna's gorgeous LP costume from Sochi. And of course Michelle's lovely velvet "Lyra Angelica" dress.

TheCzar

On the Ice
I think that was the point. You don't team a heavy, stoic Rachmaninov piece with a frilly lavender dress. Anyway it's all personal taste. It was dark and angsty- gothic for sure. It was one of the few times (probably the only time) Mao went against type- the other being the first Scheherazade costume.

I've liked all of Mao's costumes (esp Clair de Lune, Nocturne 2.0, Ballade's white dress, Liebestraum, the black Masquerade dress, and Czardas)- even during the Tarasova-era. Kim's style was impeccable (Bond, Arirang, Danse Macabre, Gershwin), and so was Kiira Korpi's.

Honorable mention goes to Kostner's Bolero dress and that camel-toe jumpsuit.

iceberg

On the Ice

Oh right i'm sorry i always get confused with her olympic programs bells of moscow and Masquerade. Her Masquerade is the gorgeous one but i agree the bells of moscow is a not so favorite.