hinged boot | Golden Skate

hinged boot

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
While I think the hinged boot is a good idea, I can't help but wonder if its something that would have to be phased in. Would switching to a hinged boot mess up a skater's technique? it would seem that after wearing stiff boots for so long that landing a jump (and maybe even just stroking) with a boot that now bends at the ankle, would cause difficulties for those used to skating in regular boots.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
it certainly isnt aesthetically pleasing... but I'm sure that this is just a prototype and they would make the actual production model prettier.

Spirit

On the Ice
This is excellent news! It upset me to read that he was working on it a decade ago but his company was sold and the program ended. A lot of injuries could have been prevented during that time. It's great that it's finally here.

NwSwEeTy

Spectator
yes I don't think it's the prettiest thing in the world but from what I heard from my sister at UD is that the boots will break down in over 2 years.That is good and if it prevents people with talent going to waste then I think we can afford an ugly boot.Plus thats what over the boot tights are for.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Just a question

...are old skating boots such a thing of beauty? Am I missing something...I'd rather see NNN in an ugly boot than not at all:cry:

eliza88

On the Ice
There was also an article in IFS about new boots. What I found most interesting about the IFS article is for so many years as a fan I have been hollering UPGRADE THE EQUIPMENT, but the article suggested that change isn't quite so easy,...They noted that there are so many competitions, plus it takes at least a month for the skater to get used to /see progress with the new boot and it might not be better-- so boom a month wasted. Veterans of the sport are less likely to undergo the change. I think the hope is to get the new equipment to the novice and junior ranks.

eliza88

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well they might be great for the skaters to wear on a practice session, but they look a little cumbersome to actually skate in. I think they would be a great addition for their training sessions, if they help the skater incur less injuries. Perhaps they could wear their regular skates in competitions.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Call me a cynic, but I dont think NNN would have been helped by this. Personally, I wonder if it had to do a lot with being overflexable while growing. I know that Sashas back injury in 2001 was linked to flexability, although she wasnt allowed to jump when she was hurt due to the chance of falling.

Personally, I think its a matter of there only being so much a body can take. These boots concern me that the ankle will be doing a lot of the work and wont be protected. Currently, Jacksons "best" boot is 2 piece construction. My current skates are three piece, and Im not even working on an axel. Personally, if I wear a skate that isnt super stiff, I can sort of jump, but there is no way on earth that I can spin properly if my ankle/heal isnt locked.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It makes a lot of sense. After all, we are seeing so many serious hip injuries. If landing toe first relieves some of the pounding on the hip, it should help at least some. We are losing so many of our talented young skaters, I'm glad to see something being done. Who cares if the boots are ugly? If they save the kids some suffering, bring them on.

I don't understand how a skater could practice in a different type of boot than the kind he competes in. Wouldn't that throw him off ?

ETA This might be a stupid question. What if only the boot on the landing leg was hinged? The other could be a traditional boot. Could a skater adapt to use the advantages of each type of skate? Would that cause more problems than benefits?

Last edited:

kemy

Rinkside
Longhornliz said:
it certainly isnt aesthetically pleasing... but I'm sure that this is just a prototype and they would make the actual production model prettier.

If this boot works and the boot still looks like the posted picture, I suspect that the number of skaters showing up with bootcovers will definitely increase.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I think we can afford an ugly boot.Plus thats what over the boot tights are for.
I think OTB tights would look horrible on the hinged boot. They already make the foot/ankle look huge and deformed...I can't imagine how much worse it would look over the hinged boot.

amazonprincess

Rinkside
well, it really doesn't look all that bad, and besides, the injury count keeps going up for skaters, so the new boots are a step in the right direction.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think you'd notice really that much if on the men. Not only would the men's version of the boot be black, it would be particularly non obvious if the men were wearing pants that come over the ankle area and secure with a strap rather than tights.
On the other hand, those straps break.

Last edited:
Re: Just a question

sk8m8 said:
...are old skating boots such a thing of beauty? Am I missing something...I'd rather see NNN in an ugly boot than not at all:cry:
You said it, Sk8m8. It's not like a figure skating boot is a pink satin pointe shoe. BTW, Rgirl has been away because she's been on her knees praising the skate gods for all the information coming out about the HSB recently--and not a minute too soon. Of COURSE skaters used to regular boots are going to have to alter their technique and take some time to get used to them. If they're in their late teens, early 20s and have been wearing regular boots for 10 or more years, they may not be able to adjust to the HSB. But suspect it will be an individual thing. As for going back and forth between practice with the HSB and competition with regular boots, nah. I think skaters will have to choose.

Which is why I'm so excited! Because it looks like soon skaters WILL be able to choose between regular boots and the HSB. If you don't feel good in it, if you think it looks ugly, you don't have to wear it. As for whether or not the HSB would have prevented NNN's hip injury, no one can say either way. As you may recall from my previous rants, there are only 20 studies on figure skating injuries anyway, so nobody can say much about nuthin' when it comes to skating injuries that is anything more than conjecture. Hopefully, however, somebody will do some studies comparing injuries in skaters who wear regular boots vs those who wear the HSB, after they've been available for a while. I'm just glad they are or soon will be available.

And those who hate 'em can run out and not buy 'em.;)
Rgirl

BravesSkateFan said:
Actually I think a clean white skate is much prettier than a satin pointe shoe. But maybe I'm just weird.
Not weird at all. To each his own, Bravesskatefan. I grew up on ballet and I've always thought tutus sucked. And actually, I get an aesthetic thrill from the flash of those blades and as you said, clean white boots. I guess the only thing I saw on the hinged boot that detracted aesthetically was the black hinges and what looked like black velcro. I'm thinking they could make those white. But no matter what, I'd still want a boot that hopefully reduced the risk of hip injuries for skaters doing high rotation jump combos--don't know that yet--over a boot I liked the looks of.
Rgirl
Hey, how about a pink satin skate boot? Oh, wait. That tall French guy already tried those. Now on him I LIKED the tutu. And Lloyd Eisler has done red high heel skate boots. But Lloyd looks good in anything.:)