Eric Radford comes out | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Eric Radford comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yay for Eric's accomplishments on and off the ice. Newsworthy indeed.

Yay for the nice compliments to what I wrote. Thank you from my heart. :)

Yay for coming out. Whoever said Ignorance Is Bliss was, ok it's the holiday season, so I will just say Tragically Misinformed. It's the best way to combat ignorance and silly myths.

Think I'm wrong? Science magazine--one of THE most prestigious scientific journals in the world--just posted a very interesting study, "When contact changes minds: An experiment on transmission of support for gay equality." From the abstract:

Can a single conversation change minds on divisive social issues, such as same-sex marriage?... The results, measured by an unrelated panel survey, show that both gay and straight canvassers produced large effects initially, but only gay canvassers’ effects persisted in 3-week, 6-week, and 9-month follow-ups. We also find strong evidence of within-household transmission of opinion change, but only in the wake of conversations with gay canvassers. Contact with gay canvassers further caused substantial change in the ratings of gay men and lesbians more generally. These large, persistent, and contagious effects were confirmed by a follow-up experiment. Contact with minorities coupled with discussion of issues pertinent to them is capable of producing a cascade of opinion change.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/346/6215/1366

There is a reason why so-called Anti-Gay Propaganda laws are so pernicious, anywhere, anytime. Ignorance isn't bliss. It is often plain stupidity.

Caustica

Final Flight
This doesn't really fit into the serious conversation but today in the crowd amongst all the country flags someone flew a rainbow flag too when D/R came out onto the ice!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:cheer: YAY!! Eric! The First OPENLY GAY ISU GPF Champion!!! :cheer:

With all due respect, isn't this exactly what Eric didn't want?

That said, I heard they landed the throw 4S. BRB, off to watch.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think so.

Other articles have stated he wants to be a GAY ROLE MODEL for "kids".
http://www.canada.com/sports/Scott+Stinson+Radford+wants+role+model+kids/10441376/story.html

:clap:He is doing a great job !!:clap:

Yes, but the vibe I got from the article was that he didn't want to just be "the gay athlete" he wanted to be the "champion figure skater who happens to also be gay". As in, he didn't want the "gay" part to be promoted as bigger than the "athlete" part. Did I muddle that up or did that make sense? Like, he didn't want to be defined just as gay, just that it was another part of him. Which was why he didn't come out before Sochi. Oh lordy, I've made a hash of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.