Kitten cam in case you need you need a dose of cuteness in your life | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kitten cam in case you need you need a dose of cuteness in your life

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
awe.....the other kitty is rubbing on his hand as he feeds the other one. :headexplodes:

probably just wants his turn on the bottle. But this group is pretty friendly. Sometimes he "exercises" the kittens by picking them up and putting them in the back of the cage repeatedly as they keep running forward. Sorta like a treadmill. . . these little guys are really good at tearing back to him, he can barely keep up. They just keep running back.

I am glad you got to catch some action while John (foster dad) is around, he really is so sweet how he interacts. . .love how he shows kitty bellies to the camera all the time.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't think they have homes lined up yet, but two weeks sounds about right maybe closer to three. They have to be two pounds and two months before getting spayed/neutered, and after that I believe they take them off too adoption events set up in the area with the mom and other kittens to get everyone homes. He works with a shelter that works with other kitties so these kittens will be adopted out much like the rest of them.

He usually takes a couple of weeks off for a break between foster families (don't blame him) but he will have another family up on cam soon no doubt. This is actually his 44th foster family I believe. Last summer he made it to his 42nd family before breaking down and keeping one of the foster kittens. Not sure they have all been on cam, but he does this pretty regularly.

BTW the same kitty of mine that likes to watch Jason Brown skate, just loves this cam show. She sits on the arm of my couch just watching intently. Or she gives me this odd look of sadness and confusion when they are not moving around, so I have to rewind the stream so he has something to watch. The foster dad often resets the stream right before he does weight ins and such, so you can often just rewind to the start and get some action shots and updates. I think I am going to have to find old clips for my cat while waiting for the next litter. Or just get her to watch more skating.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think they have homes lined up yet, but two weeks sounds about right maybe closer to three. They have to be two pounds and two months before getting spayed/neutered, and after that I believe they take them off too adoption events set up in the area with the mom and other kittens to get everyone homes. He works with a shelter that works with other kitties so these kittens will be adopted out much like the rest of them.

He usually takes a couple of weeks off for a break between foster families (don't blame him) but he will have another family up on cam soon no doubt. This is actually his 44th foster family I believe. Last summer he made it to his 42nd family before breaking down and keeping one of the foster kittens. Not sure they have all been on cam, but he does this pretty regularly.

BTW the same kitty of mine that likes to watch Jason Brown skate, just loves this cam show. She sits on the arm of my couch just watching intently. Or she gives me this odd look of sadness and confusion when they are not moving around, so I have to rewind the stream so he has something to watch. The foster dad often resets the stream right before he does weight ins and such, so you can often just rewind to the start and get some action shots and updates. I think I am going to have to find old clips for my cat while waiting for the next litter. Or just get her to watch more skating.

44 foster families; how wonderful! I do some work in the animal rescue community, and keeping the fosters is sometimes called a "foster failure", which is why I could never do it. I'd have 144 cats.

Still can't get a cat to even look at my computer, let alone Jason....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
44 foster families; how wonderful! I do some work in the animal rescue community, and keeping the fosters is sometimes called a "foster failure", which is why I could never do it. I'd have 144 cats.

Still can't get a cat to even look at my computer, let alone Jason....

I have bottled raised exactly one abandoned orphan. I did not plan to keep him. I kept him. Then again he was worth it, he is my little teddy cat that snuggles me at night. . . or hisses at me if he is on my pillow and does not want to be squashed, (he is not hissing out of aggression, but like a rattlesnake to warn us he is there - he is tiny and gets jostled in bed alot so he has become defensive) but I still love him. No way i was giving that cute little guy up after i raised him. I would be a horrible foster family. I think his way of doing it, treating it as a project, with steps in the process, likely helps.

He does have a number of cats. Here is the kitten he kept (Trillian) meeting catnip for the first time with clips of his other cats. I think i count six total? I have three and that is a bit of a handful. Then again I travel with them on occasion. . . and three cats can be interesting to travel with.

As for my watcher cat. She just is very visual. She has always been the type to really love bird feeders so she can watch for hours (the best is when we hear the smack of her jumping on the glass and then sliding down) so it does not surprise me that she likes the videos. I think she may know this guys voice at this point, as she tends to show up to watch when he comes into play with the kitties. She still watches and enjoys her skating too.

Also was watching an old video of his and he said they put collars on the kittens once they have been picked out/have homes lined up. But that may just be at the adoption events.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I "fostered" once, supposedly for 2 weeks. Mischa and The Bun - they never left. Years later, picked Arabella and her sister Jools came along. We still have the sisters, joined by a Maine Coon. I couldn't do what John does; I'd keep bringing them home. In that Trillian video, it sounded as if he had 8!
I've found this a very pleasant daily activity - watching the kitties!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I also fostered 4 kittens before. They all grew up and found loving families. My cats also gave birth many times. Now all of them have been desexed. oh how I miss playing with kitten. :cry:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And Stitch Monkey, how do you get cats to travel with you? Our cats see the carrier as one thing: sign of the dreaded vet!

The oldest was started in the car young and tricked into thinking it is not scarey. She went on rides alot as a kitten and even went to the drive-in once. The second one, is just really stupid and mellow. He has been known to crawl in the carrier before I am ready for him. So he is pretty easy. The third, well, he gets outvoted by the other two that are not as bad.

one trick that helps as silly as it sounds is to just change the cat box right before it is time to go. You know how cats all, love that fresh litter. It gets them out of the woodwork and gets them bathroomed up before travel. I also have resorted to drugging them with benadryl per the vets ok. The little one yowels angrily if not and that winds up the other two. Drug them and then they just sleep soundly and don't seem to notice the trip. The other thing that helps a lot is to just toss a sheet over the carriers in the car. I put all three lined up in the back seat, then cover it with a sheet. That way they can't see the world and really seem to chill out far more. So we drug them, they sleep, and wake up in a new place to kittysplore. It actually works out pretty well most of the time. Once one of the cats got a little fed up after being in the car then trapped in one room with the other cats, so we stuck her in the bathroom to nap alone for a few hours. She was fine and back to her happy self after. That was honestly probably the biggest hurdle to deal with.

Honestly they seem to do fine with traveling. Once we are at whatever destination, they just rub and sniff all the new stuff and are pretty happy to have new places to explore and sleep and mark with their scent. They are still friendly and purr for me. Still stay hi to me. It is not like they are hiding scared the entire time or I would not do it. In fact we left home for one night without the cats and the littlest one was pissed at us for leaving him when we got home. We were greeted by his annoyed "where were you yowels". He pretty clearly knew we had been gone and wanted us to know he was not happy about it. So he yowels if we leave him and yowels if we take him.

EDIT: I forgot my standard benadryl caution statement. As I said I did check with my vet, the vet was pretty laid back about it, obligatory check with your vet statement. Anyway, we use children's benadryl in liquid form as we can meter how much we give out to cats of different sizes. Honestly I think the cats seem happier with their destination when drugged so I do encourage it. I think it is just easy on the cats to sleep during the journey then have a new place to explore when the wake up. The one warning is that something in liquid benadryl tastes really really bad to kitties and has a strange side effect. It causes them to kinda slobber and drool alot. As in the first time we did it we had a cat with a Santa claws beard scowling at us. Had I not found online this can happen, it would have scared the hell out of us. As it stands. Just have a towel handy. My advice is to drug them, keep them trapped in a single room that limits their escape options, give them about 20 minutes to have the drugs kick in (i keep the cats trapped and drugged while I load the car for instance) then i toss on their harness and put them in the carrier. Once the drugs start kicking in, they are much more cooperative about going in the carrier.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I trick my cat with food. I never drug them. And on the way to the vet they scream like there is no tomorrow. And people look at me like I am stealing my own cats....:slink:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I trick my cat with food. I never drug them. And on the way to the vet they scream like there is no tomorrow. And people look at me like I am stealing my own cats....:slink:
We have two of those, and you would think we were torturing them. I try to take them at the same time so they don't feed off the others.

The oldest was started in the car young and tricked into thinking it is not scarey. She went on rides alot as a kitten and even went to the drive-in once. The second one, is just really stupid and mellow. He has been known to crawl in the carrier before I am ready for him. So he is pretty easy. The third, well, he gets outvoted by the other two that are not as bad.

one trick that helps as silly as it sounds is to just change the cat box right before it is time to go. You know how cats all, love that fresh litter. It gets them out of the woodwork and gets them bathroomed up before travel. I also have resorted to drugging them with benadryl per the vets ok. The little one yowels angrily if not and that winds up the other two. Drug them and then they just sleep soundly and don't seem to notice the trip. The other thing that helps a lot is to just toss a sheet over the carriers in the car. I put all three lined up in the back seat, then cover it with a sheet. That way they can't see the world and really seem to chill out far more. So we drug them, they sleep, and wake up in a new place to kittysplore. It actually works out pretty well most of the time. Once one of the cats got a little fed up after being in the car then trapped in one room with the other cats, so we stuck her in the bathroom to nap alone for a few hours. She was fine and back to her happy self after. That was honestly probably the biggest hurdle to deal with.

Honestly they seem to do fine with traveling. Once we are at whatever destination, they just rub and sniff all the new stuff and are pretty happy to have new places to explore and sleep and mark with their scent. They are still friendly and purr for me. Still stay hi to me. It is not like they are hiding scared the entire time or I would not do it. In fact we left home for one night without the cats and the littlest one was pissed at us for leaving him when we got home. We were greeted by his annoyed "where were you yowels". He pretty clearly knew we had been gone and wanted us to know he was not happy about it. So he yowels if we leave him and yowels if we take him.

EDIT: I forgot my standard benadryl caution statement. As I said I did check with my vet, the vet was pretty laid back about it, obligatory check with your vet statement. Anyway, we use children's benadryl in liquid form as we can meter how much we give out to cats of different sizes. Honestly I think the cats seem happier with their destination when drugged so I do encourage it. I think it is just easy on the cats to sleep during the journey then have a new place to explore when the wake up. The one warning is that something in liquid benadryl tastes really really bad to kitties and has a strange side effect. It causes them to kinda slobber and drool alot. As in the first time we did it we had a cat with a Santa claws beard scowling at us. Had I not found online this can happen, it would have scared the hell out of us. As it stands. Just have a towel handy. My advice is to drug them, keep them trapped in a single room that limits their escape options, give them about 20 minutes to have the drugs kick in (i keep the cats trapped and drugged while I load the car for instance) then i toss on their harness and put them in the carrier. Once the drugs start kicking in, they are much more cooperative about going in the carrier.

Benadryl: I never thought of that! *I* take Benadryl when I can't go to sleep. We have a vet's visit on Tuesday with the two worst, and sometimes we give them half a valium (vet prescribed) but it never seems to work. I'm the one who needs the valium.:laugh2:

Wo|flax

Final Flight
I remember reading somewhere that cat purring was good for you health, after watching this I'm not so sure...

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Wow. Its ending already? I hope they all found good homes. I'm going to miss this daily visit.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Wow. Its ending already? I hope they all found good homes. I'm going to miss this daily visit.

He will have another family soon. Today is adoption event day. I think they use these kittens to help promote the events so the others they have get homes. Also, he did confirm that momma Marge got an application for her the first day they were taking them. It sounds like they are a tad selective with the cam kittens and try to make sure they go to homes where they will be a good fit personality wise.

Anyway, I am glad some enjoyed it. My cat sure did. . . she is going to be very confused till if find a replacement for her.

EDIT: Everyone has a new home including mom. Maggie and Moe got to go home together. There are all expected to have Facebook pages if you want to check up on them later. You can see pics of them with their new humans here.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
He will have another family soon. Today is adoption event day. I think they use these kittens to help promote the events so the others they have get homes. Also, he did confirm that momma Marge got an application for her the first day they were taking them. It sounds like they are a tad selective with the cam kittens and try to make sure they go to homes where they will be a good fit personality wise.

Anyway, I am glad some enjoyed it. My cat sure did. . . she is going to be very confused till if find a replacement for her.

EDIT: Everyone has a new home including mom. Maggie and Moe got to go home together. There are all expected to have Facebook pages if you want to check up on them later. You can see pics of them with their new humans here.
Wonderful photos! Happy endings, or beginnings! Tjis was a great idea, StitchMonkey. I hope you do another one sometime.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
There is a new batch of Kittens up with a new link. This batch is named The Little Saplings and have tree names.

They are not newborns, and are only expected to be around for about a month as they were fostered by someone who found them prior. They are fluffy bunch and already frisky.

It looks like all the prior ones are doing well. All got adopted the same day and all have facebook pages that have been updated at least once. The momma cat Marge's owner is the most active and has an enjoyable sense of humor. She updates from the perspective of her cats and refers to herself as can opener.

And just in case there was any confusion. I am not involved. I am just a viewer. . . that watches alot because her cat loves to watch.