IFS's Most Influential People of 2003 | Golden Skate

IFS's Most Influential People of 2003

L

Lcp88

IFS's Most Influential People of 2003

I just got my July/August issue today. Heavy Worlds coverage.
Then there was "The List." Overall, I'd actually agree with most of them, although maybe not the Caribbean Cuirse guy

Michelle Kwan, unsurprisingly, was "THE" most influetntial person, the it went Japanese lady Miki Ando the quad quees :) , then Sandra Bezic, the this Willy Bietak guy, who creates the shows for Caribbean Crusie line, the costume designer Jef Billings, followed by Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz:D :D :D , Philippe Candeloro, (dum de dum dum) Cinquanta:| , Robin Cousins, Steve Disson, Andrea Dohany, who is the Syncro World Champs coach, followed by Kenneth Feld, Rory Flack Burghart who created the "all black skating show", Dorthy Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Lea Ann Miller, Nikolai Morozov, Moira North, Ice Theatre of New York's director, Ron Pfenning, Jay Ogden president of IMG, Lucinda Ruh, Shen and Zhao, Elvis Stojiko, Kat Witt, and finally, Kristi Yamaguchi. Whew.:)

My personal favorite (Besides Bourne and Kraatz) was Nikolai Morozov, who I thought did really great programs this year in addition to Bourne and Kraatz's victory. I'm glad he's finally getting some real recognition.
Laura

L

ladybug

Re: IFS's Most Influential People of 2003

Did anyone beside me think that the remarks made about Cinquanta made him sound more like a dictator than the ISU President. :rollin:

E

eltamina

Thanks, an interesting list :D

E

Excidra2001

I don't want to sound like I want Irina to have everything but I thought she should've been on that list last year. Considering she won Russia's first silver medal in ladies at the Olympics and followed that with a world title.
But it's their decision, oh well.

S

sk8ing lady2001

Michelle deserved to be on top, of course! She had awesome skates (read: performances) at Nationals and Worlds this year. I was so happy and proud for her! :)

B

berthes ghost

Who are Steve Disson and Kenneth Feld?

"Moira North, Ice Theatre of New York's director, Ron Pfenning,"

Sorry, I'm confused. Are these 3 separate people, or is Moira North the director of ITNY? At first I read "Ice Theatre of New York's director: Ron Pfenning" and thought "Wow, I didn't know he was doing that now!"

J

Jaana

Steve Disson organizes all these shows:

www.dissonskating.com/our.../index.htm

About the list, I think that most of the names are okay, although there are maybe a bit too many "old has-beens", but what is Lucinda Ruh doing on that list?

Marjaana

L

LAVENDER

You know it is a surprise that Michelle IS listed as the number 1most influential for this magazine because after all these years she has never been the number one person on the list. She’s always on the list but not at number one.

T

terisalyn

Hmmm, wonder if the inclusion of "the cruise guy" has anything to do with the fact that IFS is trying to get their cruise/skating clinic started up again? ;)

L

Lucy25

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><strong>I don't want to sound like I want Irina to have everything but I thought she should've been on that list last year. Considering she won Russia's first silver medal in ladies at the Olympics and followed that with a world title.</strong> [/quote]
Wouldn't that have made her eligible for last year's list? That's why Sarah Hughes was on the list last year and not this year. I can't remember last year's list, was Irina on it?

Congrats to Michelle!!

I

icenut84

Maybe Elena Sokolova should be on that list, considering what she's done this year. Most of those names (some I've never heard of though) seem to be North American - is it NA people who vote, by any chance? lol

M

mathman444

I think the only person who gets to vote is Mark Lund, publisher of International Figure Skating magazine. Not many skaters make the list because the main criterion is money: who are the movers and shakers of the figure skating world, not necessarily the most innovative or successful performers.

Mathman

P

purplecat

Yay for Kristi making the list again! :)

My guess for Lucinda being on there is for breaking the Guiness World Record for spinning? (I haven't got my issue yet, always get it late!)

And yeah, it really is more about the "money" or "business" side of skating. I think some people think IFS's list is about who is influencing young skaters, but it really isn't. I liken it more to Entertainment Weekly's top 100 Power people or whatever they call it. Most of those type of lists have mostly CEO types, and people behind the scenes etc. and fewer actors/singers/performers, etc.

D

diamondqueen

Good for Michelle she is were she should be at the TOP. Congratulations to IFS's 25 Most Influential People of 2003..

diamond:D

M

mathman444

They should do the most influential of the decade, starting with Kristi!

BTW, Kristi was THE most influential in 2001-2002. Before that it was Scott Hamilton, 2000-2001, and Timothy Goebel, 1999-2000. Tim was deemed "influential" because he set the standard, quad, quad, quad, that came to dominate men's figure skating that year.

After #1, the others are listed in alphabetical order. So, for instance, IFS is not saying that Miki Ando is the second most influential, only that she made the list and her name starts with "A." Again, she made the list as a trend setter, with the expectation that now lots of ladies will feel like they have to try a quad or a triple Axel.

Mathman

E

Excidra2001

Lucy, sorry I meant last year. Case could also be made as to why she should've been on the list this year. She won her 5th European and is one title away to be mentioned in the same breath as legendry skaters Sonja Henie and Kit Witt. She's shown that this sport is not only for teenagers but a lady her age can still go out there and win a world title. I wouldn't be surprised if Elena Liashenko looks up to Irina and Michelle for inspiration to keep going.

If Miki Ando made the list for doing the first quad(and she a Junior) in competition then why didn't Irina make the list back in 2000 when she became the first lady not only to land the first 3lutz/3loop but land two 3/3s in one competition.

I always thought this list was BS but I think they almost got it right this season. Michelle/B&K/Shen and Zhao all deserve to be right up there but there are others I could take that list off of.

L

Lucy25

Excidra - So Irina did not make the list last year? I would have put her there for last year. She pretty much carried the whole Russian ladies team. Did this list exist in 2000? I certainly would have put Irina on it then for her comback and GPF performance. because of that, the envelope was really raised for the ladies.

M

mpal2

Mathman,

You forgot to mention that Mark Lund includes a healthy dose of US skaters, but also IMG skaters.

I think he has one of the most biased magazines out there. The section on skaters around the world is interesting and it beats BOI, but that's about it.

L

ladybug

mpal2 -----You are right, he tends to lean toward the IMG skaters, choro. etc. IMG skaters also seem to be highlighted throughout the magazine. Also, they are all you see in anything Disson is connected to. When you watch any of his Specials, you feel like you are at SOI. Sometimes it gets boring watching the same skaters doing the same program special after special.

Scott Hamilton has mad the list year after year for his C.A.R.E.S. Program. I like Scott but I am not sure he belongs on the list every year.