Mao Asada's Best Performances | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's Best Performances

anyanka

Record Breaker
Shouldn't this be in the fan fest?

Mine are ... so many! (And I'm speaking as a Yuna megafan LOL)

Every one of these is a masterpiece:
  1. Chopin, 2014W
  2. Rach 2, Sochi 2014
  3. Swan Lake, 2013 4CC
  4. Liebestraum, 2011 Nationals (just after her mother passed away)
  5. Masquerade Waltz, Vancouver 2010
  6. Czardas, 2007W
  7. 2005 GPF - when we all fell in love with her

Now off to watch these again, and again, and again. :)

mary01

Final Flight
I looove all of Mao's performances but my faourite will have to be these ones:

sp:
Clair de lune
Fantasia of violin
Nocturne
Masquerade waltz, vancouver

fs:
Rach. 2014
Fantasie Impromptu
Liebestraum
Bells of moscow

ex.
Ballade
Por Una Cabeza
So deep is the night

okay I know I mentioned many, but when you like all her performances it's hard to chose, so the ones I just mentioned are my absolute favourite ones :love: :points:

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
What do you mean by that? I guess I wrote it wrong, I am not a native speaker. By pinnacle I meant last season since nobody is sure if she will come back. I mean, her skating was getting better and better and her Sochi FS was a masterpiece. She was great since the beginning of her carrer and as the time passed, she became a legend.

Cos what you said and what I have understood is that you think that at the beginning of her career there was nothing great about her and she only became great last season. But no problem it's your opinion you are entitled to it. :)

begin

Medalist
I know Mao's had a lot of great performances but imo, her Sochi LP is the best. I would actually watch her Sochi LP more than her WR sp.

Idk if it's just me, but I don't really enjoy watching her older performances because I don't care for the way she skated. Yes she did have great performances but I much prefer her recent performances, so my list of her best performances would probably be made up of her more recent performances.

It's not just you. Mao's skating changed drastically after she moved to Sato. She had many wonderful qualities from the very beginning but the final phase of sophistication and great SS technique came in during these past 3 seasons.
I wish she had paired with Sato earlier in her career. Mao's older programs were generally better than the formula she followed from '12 onward. Her Sochi LP might've been her greatest performance ever but the program itself...very meh.

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
It's not just you. Mao's skating changed drastically after she moved to Sato. She had many wonderful qualities from the very beginning but the final phase of sophistication and great SS technique came in during these past 3 seasons.
I wish she had paired with Sato earlier in her career. Mao's older programs were generally better than the formula she followed from '12 onward. Her Sochi LP might've been her greatest performance ever but the program itself...very meh.

:cheer2: to everything you wrote. Sato really help bring out the best in Mao. From her jumps to her artistry, 2010-11 Mao was far more sofisticated Mao than the 2009-10 version. I feel if Sato had worked with her as early as 2006, she would have had the perfect jump arsenal (including a clean 3lutz), along with a killer artistry to boot.

begin

Medalist
:cheer2: to everything you wrote. Sato really help bring out the best in Mao. From her jumps to her artistry, 2010-11 Mao was far more sofisticated Mao than the 2009-10 version. I feel if Sato had worked with her as early as 2006, she would have had the perfect jump arsenal (including a clean 3lutz), along with a killer artistry to boot.

That's..a bit of a stretch. I definitely wouldn't say anything about a "perfect" jump arsenal. Mao had a lot of problems that came with her growth spurt+stricter calls and it took her a long time to get those jumps back with or without Sato. Honestly even after reworking everything a few issues from her old technique remain (hammer foot 3F, 3Lz takeoff, 3S, 3T, 3A...).

Also, Mao's sophistication (to her credit) came mostly with age and experience.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Pretty much all of her clean Nocturnes, 2007 GPF FS, 2014 Olympics FS.... I also like her 2008 and 2009 SPs, and can we includes EX programs?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Her Chopin SP at Worlds last year was sublime.

I personally don't find her Sochi FS to be the artistic masterpiece others are claiming it to be, but technically it was an incredible showing worthy of an Olympic champion. A shame she couldn't combine her Vancouver SP and Sochi LP!

Franklin99

Medalist
That's..a bit of a stretch. I definitely wouldn't say anything about a "perfect" jump arsenal. Mao had a lot of problems that came with her growth spurt+stricter calls and it took her a long time to get those jumps back with or without Sato. Honestly even after reworking everything a few issues from her old technique remain (hammer foot 3F, 3Lz takeoff, 3S, 3T, 3A...).

Also, Mao's sophistication (to her credit) came mostly with age and experience.

Of course Mao still has some issues with her jumps since Sato started working with her. By 2010 her jumps technique were too ingrained to fix in under four years, which is why I suggested 2006.
That would have giving him enough time to help her fix those problem.

And of course Mao sophistication came with age and experience. All I said was Sato brought it out more, since her jump issue became more of a problem in competitions, Mao would perform with too much focus on landing jumps and would neglect her artistry. And it became obvious during her Ex. which were always superbly performed.

Had she started working on those jump problems when she was 15, and not 20, I believe she would have been an all around powerhouse performer.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Her Chopin SP at Worlds last year was sublime.

I personally don't find her Sochi FS to be the artistic masterpiece others are claiming it to be, but technically it was an incredible showing worthy of an Olympic champion. A shame she couldn't combine her Vancouver SP and Sochi LP!

Her Sochi LP was helped by the fact that it was such an amazing comeback and technically insane, I agree that artistically, the program has some empty points, felt a bit jump, jump, jump for a bit but it does get better into the second half, the step sequence was divine and quite possibly my favourite of all time

MiRé

Match Penalty
Bells of Moscow is my very favorite. Her spirals still give me chills every time I watch that performance :rock:

begin

Medalist
Of course Mao still has some issues with her jumps since Sato started working with her. By 2010 her jumps technique were too ingrained to fix in under four years, which is why I suggested 2006.
That would have giving him enough time to help her fix those problem.

And of course Mao sophistication came with age and experience. All I said was Sato brought it out more, since her jump issue became more of a problem in competitions, Mao would perform with too much focus on landing jumps and would neglect her artistry. And it became obvious during her Ex. which were always superbly performed.

Had she started working on those jump problems when she was 15, and not 20, I believe she would have been an all around powerhouse performer.

I understand what you're saying but just disagree. I'm not a technical expert but Mao has her innate weaknesses that just makes some jumps particularly difficult (toe jumps, really). Sato's students have a history of great SS but he's never been much of a jump/tech coach. OTOH Machiko and Tarasova have proven themselves in those areas. It's not by any means easy--or even possible for most--to obtain the proper and reliable jumping technique, and I think many of Mao's previous teams did the best they could with her talents (w/ TT dropping the ball a bit during Vancouver...).

I'll reiterate--in terms of program and performance execution, I wish Mao had the basics from Sato back then. Her earlier programs would've been done great justice.

Her Sochi LP was helped by the fact that it was such an amazing comeback and technically insane, I agree that artistically, the program has some empty points, felt a bit jump, jump, jump for a bit but it does get better into the second half, the step sequence was divine and quite possibly my favourite of all time

It was very up and down until the great StSq. Same goes to her Swan Lake program but at least then the balletic style/music suited her well. Mao and broody Rach isn't a strong combo.

Now, does anybody remember where/when Mao performed Claire de Lune clean (08-09 season)?

gotoschool

Medalist
I realize there are going to be people who point out shortcomings to any performance, as some posters have done on this thread, and I think most of these posts have been fairly diplomatic. But, I just wanted to give my impression of Mao's Sochi LP to explain why I like it so much. I don't claim to know a lot of skating terminology, but I have tried to provide some details as accurately as I can.

I have always been amazed at how Mao has merged athleticism with artistry. It was the first thing that really drew me to her skating in Czardas at 2007 Worlds. But, in this program she outdid herself in melding the two together. First, there is the exceptional triple axel executed only by her. Then, I noticed the intricacy and subtlety of Mao's wave like flow, the rockers, the one legged skating and swaying motion, the balletic flair and fine line of her arms and arch in her neck, back and legs on the exit to each jump, the magnificent quick whipsaw rotation, the expansive coverage of the jumps that spread to every corner of the skating rink, with the spin sequence of I, sit, broken leg and camel spin variations as a beautiful interlude between her triple lutz and double axel / triple toe combo.

After this, there is the acceleration in step with the music when her increased speed and deeper edges become more apparent, as she extends her arms up gently like plaint wings on a pathway to flight in the approach to her last passes: the triple flip / double loop combo and triple loop, after which she flings her arms back to cast her tragic SP to the past. Then, she hangs suspended in her Biellmann and plunges into the passionate acrobatics of her step sequence full of twizzles, pirouettes, illusion spins and a solitary leap into the sky with her limbs spread wide, like a great live oak tree with a wild samurai smile.

Finally, she flashes a rapid fan spiral as she dashes through her final arabesque, carving a sharp and speedy arc as she flings her arms forward into her final upright stance amidst a spray of ice. To me, this is not the program of an artful jumping bean but classical elegance, athleticism and passion, which I had never seen from anyone else before this performance. The ritualistic balletic motions subtly executed through each jump mirrored the intricate artistry of the arm and hand motions that a hostess performs to entertain a welcome guest to a Japanese tea ceremony.

As one of my friend's said who had no favorite in the competition and had never seen Mao skate, he liked Mao's program the best because of her beautiful jumps. As soon as it was over he said, "It is perfect."

Last edited:

amazingMao

Rinkside
I realize there are going to be people who point out shortcomings to any performance, as some posters have done on this thread, and I think most of these posts have been fairly diplomatic. But, I just wanted to give my impression of Mao's Sochi LP to explain why I like it so much. I don't claim to know a lot of skating terminology, but I have tried to provide some details as accurately as I can.

First, there is the exceptional triple axel executed only by her. Then, I noticed the intricacy and subtlety of Mao's wave like flow, the rockers, the one legged skating and swaying motion, the balletic flair and fine line of her arms and arch in her neck, back and legs on the exit to each jump, the beautiful quick whipsaw rotation, the expansive coverage of the jumps that spread to every corner of the skating rink, with the spin sequence of I, sit, broken leg and camel spin variations as a beautiful interlude between her triple lutz and double axel / triple toe combo.

After this, there is the acceleration in step with the music as she extends her arms up gently like plaint wings on a pathway to flight in her approach to her last passes: the triple flip / double loop combo and triple flip when she flings her arms back to cast the SP to the past. Then, she hangs suspended in her Biellmann and plunges into the passionate acrobatics of her step sequence full of twizzles, pirouettes, illusion spins and a solitary leap into the sky with her limbs spread wide, like a great live oak tree with a wild samurai smile.

Finally, she flashes a rapid fan spiral as she dashes through her final arabesque, carving a sharp and speedy arc as she flings her arms forward into her final upright stance amidst a spray of ice. To me, this is not merely the program of an artful jumping bean but classical elegance, athleticism and passion like I had never seen before this performance. The ritualistic balletic motions subtly executed through each jump mirrored the intricate artistry of the arm and hand motions that a hostess performs to entertain a welcome guest to a Japanese tea ceremony.

As one of my friend's said who had no favorite in the competition and had never seen Mao skate, he liked Mao's program the best because of her beautiful jumps. As soon as it was over he said, "It is perfect."

THIS!

I am also not expert of technicalities of Figure Skating. What matters to me as a viewer is that I enjoy the performance and there is a connection between me and the performer(Figure skater). I'm just a normal viewer and appreciates this sports so much (aside tennis, basketball, and boxing....hehehe).

What I can say is that Mao's performance in Sochi Olympics in Free Skate is the best Free Skate that I have ever seen in my whole life. Yes, whole life because aside from making me cry like others, she make me believe that anything is possible as long as I believe to myself. As I witnessed her journey from Vancouver 2010 to Worlds 2014, she became my ALL SPORTS HERO, tied with Roger Federer. She is not afraid to show her imperfections and how she comeback from slumps. Very human to me.

minze

Medalist

First, there is the exceptional triple axel executed only by her. Then, I noticed the intricacy and subtlety of Mao's wave like flow, the rockers, the one legged skating and swaying motion, the balletic flair and fine line of her arms and arch in her neck, back and legs on the exit to each jump, the beautiful quick whipsaw rotation, the expansive coverage of the jumps that spread to every corner of the skating rink, with the spin sequence of I, sit, broken leg and camel spin variations as a beautiful interlude between her triple lutz and double axel / triple toe combo.

After this, there is the acceleration in step with the music as she extends her arms up gently like plaint wings on a pathway to flight in her approach to her last passes: the triple flip / double loop combo and triple flip when she flings her arms back to cast the SP to the past. Then, she hangs suspended in her Biellmann and plunges into the passionate acrobatics of her step sequence full of twizzles, pirouettes, illusion spins and a solitary leap into the sky with her limbs spread wide, like a great live oak tree with a wild samurai smile.

Finally, she flashes a rapid fan spiral as she dashes through her final arabesque, carving a sharp and speedy arc as she flings her arms forward into her final upright stance amidst a spray of ice. To me, this is not merely the program of an artful jumping bean but classical elegance, athleticism and passion like I had never seen before this performance. The ritualistic balletic motions subtly executed through each jump mirrored the intricate artistry of the arm and hand motions that a hostess performs to entertain a welcome guest to a Japanese tea ceremony.

THIS. Best LP it was perfection

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Bells of Moscow is my very favorite. Her spirals still give me chills every time I watch that performance :rock:

Agreed. That is one of my favorite figure skating programs ever. No other lady is powerful and dramatic enough to pull off that kind of music.

begin

Medalist
Agreed. That is one of my favorite figure skating programs ever. No other lady is powerful and dramatic enough to pull off that kind of music.

Oh gosh, really? So many people (including myself) hated that program on Mao. Dramatic and powerful are the antonyms of her skating by every account I've seen.

gotoschool

Medalist

I really love the spine tingling spirals in Bells too, like the fan and cross grab Biellmann, and the stunning spins: the one handed Biellmann spin at the end, the I and sit spins. Spellbinding lines, grace and flexibility. I also love her dramatic facial expressions in this one. The great thing is she had 3 clean performances of it that season: Japanese Nationals 2009, 4CC's and Worlds 2010. Her performance at Worlds is my second favorite LP ever after Sochi.

Last edited: