Interview with Angelika Krylova | Golden Skate

Interview with Angelika Krylova

Alba

Record Breaker
This is a very interesting interview with Angelica.
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/51790/

She speaks about a lot of things. W&P, V&M and D&W.
The aspect of choreography and coaching, weight etc.

Some extracts:
It is always difficult to skate when you are second in your own country. But paradoxically, it is even more difficult when you're the first. This year, when we arrived at the first Grand Prix event in Canada, Kaitlyn and Andrew were stiff as never before. I didn't even quite know what to do when I saw it. But the experience was useful. You need to psychologically cross the line that separates you from the leader, if you are planning to become a long time leader.

I always knew that while Tessa and Scott were natural born dancers, Meryl had never mastered such skating skills and never had such natural talent. Behind her achievements in ice dance, there is a tremendous amount of incredibly hard work, iron discipline and determination. No one else had ever executed such complex elements with such ease. And year after year, they kept working even harder. As a coach, I was amazed. The Canadians had relaxed when they won the 2012 World championships. They decided that they were always going to be first. I think, it was mostly Tessa who had relaxed.

Q: How difficult is it to say to the American or Canadian athletes that he or she has gained weight?
A: Of course, it's a littlle bit easier in Russia. But I say that to my skaters openly. And immediately. If an athlete is going to fight for medals, he must be aware from the very beginning what elite sport is. That there should be discipline, strict control and so on. That the right attitude is a very big part of success. If a skater is not able to control his condition himself, I resort to tough measures.

It is much harder to train a Russian pair abroad. And I would be very cautious considering such proposal.
Q: Why?
A: Russian figure skating federation always tries to control everything. It is understandable, but it creates too many problems for a coach: you need to bring athletes for assessment, and it entails big financial expenses, loss of time.

Before, a program originated from an idea. And choreographic decisions were wrapped around that idea. Sometimes the dance became properly polished only by the end of the season.
Now, you do the elements layout first, and then you start to invent transitions. But the athletes have to be in a good shape already by the time of their first competition. Therefore, you try to set the program in such a way that even without much mileage it looks as a complete program and not a set of elements.

The complete interview here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-team-abroad-is-difficult.94171/#post-4407315

Thanks to quiqie for the translation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

apple123

On the Ice
Yeah, right. V/M relaxed after 2012, and came up with that brilliant Carmen, blowing everyone's mind. Does she even know what she's saying?

apple123

On the Ice
And anyone who watched the documentary of V/M knows how hard they train day in and day out. If we wanna talk about doing moves with ease, it's V/M. They brought new things every single year, and did the most difficult elements like nothing. I would certainly call the team doing the same twizzles for years a bit lazy.

Alba

Record Breaker
Which season did Tessa gain weight? I never noticed at all!

Me neither. Although several people commented about that tbh, and If I remember correct Tessa as well complained about this. That they were people in skating, I suppose officials, who were saying to her to lose weight. I don't think Krylova is saying she got "fat" though.
She is saying that even a small gain, a kilo perhaps, makes a difference with the tech elements.

Anyway, I think they were speaking about 2013, because they said after 2012.

Last edited:

unokid

Spectator
And anyone who watched the documentary of V/M knows how hard they train day in and day out. If we wanna talk about doing moves with ease, it's V/M. They brought new things every single year, and did the most difficult elements like nothing. I would certainly call the team doing the same twizzles for years a bit lazy.

See but this is the problem. Why do we have to bring D/W down or call them lazy in order to say that V/M were not? Both teams were extremely hard workers. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to achieve what they did. Let's leave it at that.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
See but this is the problem. Why do we have to bring D/W down or call them lazy in order to say that V/M were not? Both teams were extremely hard workers. Otherwise they wouldn't have been able to achieve what they did. Let's leave it at that.

For the record, the first instance in this thread of contrasting Virtue and Davis is from Krylova herself -- in the OP.
The subsequent post that referred to Davis/White did not come out of the blue.

(But I agree that both couples obviously are extremely hard workers.)

Last edited:

unokid

Spectator
For the record, the first instance in this thread of contrasting Virtue and Davis is from Krylova herself -- in the OP.
The subsequent post that referred to Davis/White did not come out of the blue.

(But I agree that both couples obviously are extremely hard workers.)

Thanks for the welcome guys! And I agree that it wasn't out of the blue - she clearly does the same thing in the article, in bolstering D/W to bring V/M down. That's what my issue with her statements are actually. I just wish that people didn't feel the need to tear anybody down to make someone else look good.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
No, I think she's able to look at both couples ( actually, at all the couples she mentioned) with an absolutely critical eye (in the sense of discerning). This is a necessary attribute to be a really good coach and good skaters should be able to accept such assessments.(If they hope for the best results.)

It's only the fans who don't want to hear any negatives about skaters they like or for dispassionate, realistic comparisons to be made. That's a luxury only fans can afford.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Thanks for the welcome guys! And I agree that it wasn't out of the blue - she clearly does the same thing in the article, in bolstering D/W to bring V/M down. That's what my issue with her statements are actually. I just wish that people didn't feel the need to tear anybody down to make someone else look good.

As a big fan of V&M, I do not think that's true. Krylova is not bringing anyone down here. She has an opinion, an expert opinion I would say, and maybe even an insider look. I do not agree with what she said, from what I know and could see of course, but I don't think she is bringing them down.
Unless, she has hard feeling against them which I'm not aware.

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
She is not "bolstering" anyone to bring down V/M, most certainly not Davis/White, who she says are inferior in talent and in skating skills.

Funny, but D/W have been doing the same twizzles and programs for years, while V/M did Carmen in 2013. In 2014, both teams received typical generic Zoueva Olympic FDs with D/W having the more accessible well known warhorse so I do not see where D/W challenged themselves. Both teams had generic Zoueva FDs while D/W got the more popular audience friendly music choice. The only program D/W did that was different than Samson & Delilah, POTO, Notre Dame, Scheherazade, was a typical Igor tango. A TANGO. :laugh: If this is the furthest a team can stretch themselves over one's senior career, that is rather sad IMO. Both teams have had typical Zoueva drudgery but I think it is easier to do the same programs/twizzles every year, as D/W did.

I thought V/M were better skaters after Igor left, in fact, it was much more obvious to me how much better their skills were in 2013/2014 than 2010, IMO; their edges were even deeper, they even had much more power and ice coverage (getting levels does not equate to quality. I do not like it when skaters ugly their way to an element to eek out level 4). It is called ice skating/ice dancing, not gimmicky hopscotch/speed skating. But this kind of topic is for another thread.

Weaver/Poje do not have the most natural talent so Krylova may be trying to use a D/W work ethic model to model themselves after. I just hope W/P choreography does not turn into hoppy reused, collect-all-points at any cost kind of thing. I sure hope not. Because Krylova/Camerlengo have generally done good work with their teams.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
She is not "bolstering" anyone to bring down V/M, most certainly not Davis/White, who she says are inferior in talent and in skating skills.

Funny, but D/W have been doing the same twizzles and programs for years, while V/M did Carmen in 2013. In 2014, both teams received typical generic Zoueva Olympic FDs with D/W having the more accessible well known warhorse so I do not see where D/W challenged themselves. Both teams had generic Zoueva FDs while D/W got the more popular audience friendly music choice. The only program D/W did that was different than Samson & Delilah, POTO, Notre Dame, Scheherazade, was a typical Igor tango. A TANGO. :laugh: If this is the furthest a team can stretch themselves over one's senior career, that is rather sad IMO. Both teams have had typical Zoueva drudgery but I think it is easier to do the same programs/twizzles every year, as D/W did.

I thought V/M were better skaters after Igor left, in fact, it was much more obvious to me how much better their skills were in 2013/2014 than 2010, IMO; their edges were even deeper, they even had much more power and ice coverage (getting levels does not equate to quality. I do not like it when skaters ugly their way to an element to eek out level 4). It is called ice skating/ice dancing, not gimmicky hopscotch/speed skating. But this kind of topic is for another thread.

Weaver/Poje do not have the most natural talent so Krylova may be trying to use a D/W work ethic model to model themselves after. I just hope W/P choreography does not turn into hoppy reused, collect-all-points at any cost kind of thing. I sure hope not. Because Krylova/Camerlengo have generally done good work with their teams.

As usual, you distort the truth for your own polemic that Marlie are beneath contempt. What does Krylova actually say? Let's quote her exactly --something you, of course, fail to do--as per the translation:

I always knew that while Tessa and Scott were natural born dancers, Meryl had never mastered such skating skills and never had such natural talent. Behind her achievements in ice dance, there is a tremendous amount of incredibly hard work, iron discipline and determination. No one else had ever executed such complex elements with such ease. And year after year, they kept working even harder. As a coach, I was amazed.

What she says is not that they are "inferior in talent" but that Meryl was not a "natural born dancer" like Tessa and Scott. Rather Krylova was--and I quote directly--"amazed" at Meryl's "tremendous amount of incredibly hard work, iron discipline and determination." She even admits that "no one else [and one presumes she is including herself in that grouping] had ever executed such complex elements with such ease."

Oh, the horror! The horror! Meryl should sue for libel. :rolleye:

Geez Louise, if you are going to deliberately distort what a well-known figure says, you might want to do it where the original quotation is not so easily accessible.

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
No distortion needed. This was her quote:

I always knew that while Tessa and Scott were natural born dancers, Meryl had never mastered such skating skills and never had such natural talent.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
But then of course you leave out the rest of the quotation where she expresses amazement at what Meryl actually accomplished, in spite of a lack of natural talent. I'd love someone to "insult" me like that.

Matt K

On the Ice
You mean, in spite of a lack of natural talent and skating skills. You left that out too.

If one were to say Individual B never mastered such skating skills and never had such natural talent as Individual A, does this equate to saying Individual B is inferior to A in skating skills and talent? Yes.

Again, the quote:
I always knew that while Tessa and Scott were natural born dancers, Meryl had never mastered such skating skills and never had such natural talent.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Her comments about dealing with skaters' weight are revolting and she should have her coaching credentials removed.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You mean, in spite of a lack of natural talent and skating skills. You left that out too.

If one were to say Individual B never mastered such skating skills and never had such natural talent as Individual A, does this equate to saying Individual B is inferior to A in skating skills and talent? Yes.

Again, the quote:

Yes my mistake. Then again I didn't leave out more than half the entire quotation to bolster a spurious argument, thus deliberately distorting what was, you know, actually said by Krylova.

Last edited: